Staffer for a year ? (Competition idea for a manufacturer)

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Watching the Sergio callaway announcement got me thinking.

Wouldn't it be beneficial (and viable) for a manufacturer to employ amateurs as staffers?

I.e. run a competition for an amateur to be a brand ambassador for a year.
Wouldn't have to pay much just provide a complete bag and wardrobe for the year.

Criteria : be an active (more than say once a week ) amateur golfer.
And active on social media in a golfing community, (like this one)

Could have one in each target region?

Thoughts?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Not a terrible plan, lots of opportunities here for that kind of stuff though.

We do that on THP. In fact in multiple events.

I dont think most people comprehend what it's like to be a staffer. I met a guy playing mini tours that i couldn't believe what his life was like being a sponsored on mini tours by one of the big OEMs.

I dont think most people comprehend what it's like to be a staffer. I met a guy playing mini tours that i couldn't believe what his life was like being a sponsored on mini tours by one of the big OEMs.

This for sure. Most pros on the PGA Tour don't get a 14 club deal, but THP tends to hook that up on the regular.

Watching the Sergio callaway announcement got me thinking.

Wouldn't it be beneficial (and viable) for a manufacturer to employ amateurs as staffers?

I.e. run a competition for an amateur to be a brand ambassador for a year.
Wouldn't have to pay much just provide a complete bag and wardrobe for the year.

Criteria : be an active (more than say once a week ) amateur golfer.
And active on social media in a golfing community, (like this one)

Could have one in each target region?

Thoughts?

Check out some of the past Morgan Cup's and the Grandaddy event.

I've heard it's a real grind. A lot of obligations and commitments, does that jive with what you've heard?

The appeal isn't necessarily in just getting a full bag but the ability to always have the latest and greatest year after year is pretty cool.

Hi... Team Prestige got a complete bag, including a fitting, and so much more from Callaway a month ago. Matter of fact, we were fit to their new line before their staffers.

JB and THP call that Friday.

I've heard it's a real grind. A lot of obligations and commitments, does that jive with what you've heard?

The appeal isn't necessarily in just getting a full bag but the ability to always have the latest and greatest year after year is pretty cool.

yeah. Gear wasn't the issue but his time and dedication to his game and the constant stress to perform and live up to his end of the contract was real. Even going to the range. I'm sure most of us dont think twice about it but that was his job. He was there to put in work for a couple hours while I was just there to bang out a bucket and bail. Even going around town, had to be mindful of logos and wearing appropriate clothing.

Check out some of the past Morgan Cup's and the Grandaddy event.

Yep...and even had some international flavor for a few years.

#TheGrandaddy does that

I was on staff with numerous oems when I was teaching. It was a great run and hard work.

I was on staff with numerous oems when I was teaching. It was a great run and hard work.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be really interested to hear how you went about choosing OEMs (or having them choose you), if you'd be willing to share, Freddie.

Yep that would be sweet. It's called the THP AC membership! Multiple amateurs every year and multiple times a year with various oems. Good thing you found this place....

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Yep that would be sweet. It's called the THP AC membership! Multiple amateurs every year and multiple times a year with various oems. Good thing you found this place....

THP AC ??? What's that ?

THP AC ??? What's that ?

Albatross Club and you have that shining badge already, you are covered.

THP AC ??? What's that ?

Sorry should have been more clear and I'm on my phone so couldnt see your badge! Welcome to the club brother! Now join me in signing up for some stuff this year and let's become amateur staffers for an OEM.....or two.

I agree about the grandaddy being sort of like this, but I am thinking of something more formal.

I want it to be like a casual job more than just a competition.

I would expect there to be more than just get the stuff, but maybe even attend conferences and participate in internal meetings etc. Nothing huge but definitely more than just get free stuff.

Sorry should have been more clear and I'm on my phone so couldnt see your badge! Welcome to the club brother! Now join me in signing up for some stuff this year and let's become amateur staffers for an OEM.....or two.

I'm new ... So still getting my head around it. :)

Being based in Australia makes it harder but I am keen to be as involved as I can.

I'm new ... So still getting my head around it. :)

Being based in Australia makes it harder but I am keen to be as involved as I can.

Aussie you say? That's pretty sweet. Where abouts? Fav Aussie pro?

Aussie you say? That's pretty sweet. Where abouts? Fav Aussie pro?

Perth, Western Australia
(Nowhere near the Sydney harbour bridge :)

Jason Day or (hoping he comes good) Curtis Luck

Perth, Western Australia
(Nowhere near the Sydney harbour bridge :)

Jason Day or (hoping he comes good) Curtis Luck

Until luck is great! Yes I'm familiar with Perth. Never been but one day....i will go

If you are a random golfer no one knows you could do it. The problem is if you are a known golfer with skill(basically have done well in high level gross events) then you would lose am status for actively promoting a brand beyond wearing their clothes, using clubs ect.

I am not sure it is worth it to a company for a random to promote things in that manner and the people who would be more likely to provide value to the brand can't actually promote it.

That is how I understand the rules on this sort of thing but it is the USGA so everything is a cluster when it comes to this kind of thing.

I agree about the grandaddy being sort of like this, but I am thinking of something more formal.

I want it to be like a casual job more than just a competition.

I would expect there to be more than just get the stuff, but maybe even attend conferences and participate in internal meetings etc. Nothing huge but definitely more than just get free stuff.

I think this exists in some fashion with many companies using local golfers. I know that Nike (when in Texas) had a program where they brought in amateurs of varying skill sets to have them try unreleased gear to acquire feedback on look/feel/performance, etc. Also pretty sure that Callaway does something similar in California.

Back