Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

$250 for a driving iron?

I am excited to compare this to the UT. I've moved back to a hybrid in the 18 degree slot for ease of contact and launch especially in the junkier Ohio months, but mid summer usually has me back in UTs.

I'm not really sure how they can improve on the UT though. I loved how balanced the weighting was.

Not really sure if it's a club for me, but I am looking forward to testing it out

That's a nice looking UT!

@JDax when you were hitting it well on the range at ECPC, what kind of ball flight were you seeing out of it? Was it comparable to hybrid height or a little more piercing trajectory? Then went things went a little sideways with it what was your miss with it?

Hmmm, with this out now and reading about all the testing being done on the GCQuad, I hope we get to see some in hand images and some of that data!

I'm looking forward to trying one of these out. My 3i spot is about the only spot in the bag that I'm never sure with. I have a graphite shafted 3i, a 3 hybrid and a 5 wood. Nothing seems to stick for very long. I think this UT would fit right between the 3i I rarely hit and hybrid I like and could add some versatility off the deck into par 5's and out of trouble. I'd like to see some graphite shaft options to help with getting the flight a little higher too.

I'm very interested in the higher lofted ones. Would love to test them out. They look amazing.

I'm very interested in the higher lofted ones. Would love to test them out. They look amazing.

the higher loft is something I'd be down for

We didn't really talk much about the KBS shaft. It was sort of a "a lot of guys on tour are going with hybrid graphite shafts in their utility irons if you want to do something like that" at the last minute. We didn't really talk about what the options would be, or the flex profile of the shaft. I basically said something along the lines of "that sounds interesting, let's do it. I trust your recommendation". I was put into the S+

I haven't been able to hit the two shafts side by side, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I'll also say that I was swinging much better during my fitting than I was on the golf course. If I had to compare them based on the *very* limited amount of action I've seen so far though I'd say that to my eye the KBS shaft seemed to fly a bit lower and flatter, nothing dramatic. I think I prefer the feel and responsiveness I was getting from the stock Project X shaft though to be honest. This is all subject to change once I get to thaw out up here. I can say for sure that this thing is going to get a work out as a tee option on shorter par 4s (especially given how far my new 3 wood is flying).

I don't have any Apex irons for comparisons, but I grabbed the long irons I have laying around for some photos:

qYCt5sW.jpg

8JD2Ged.jpg

rX2PmZq.jpg

bmpg3r1.jpg

HWZeKHk.jpg

Thanks broski!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that top line

Hmmm, with this out now and reading about all the testing being done on the GCQuad, I hope we get to see some in hand images and some of that data!

As equipment comes in from manufacturers it gets sent out to our staff for review. As eluded to above, ddec has this on the way to him.
There are in hand images in the thread though, so that is good and one on the home page in the scrolling box (as well as instagram).

Im sure he will put out some great images though for everybody and fill this thread with tons of information. Im looking forward to it.

As equipment comes in from manufacturers it gets sent out to our staff for review. As eluded to above, ddec has this on the way to him.
There are in hand images in the thread though, so that is good and one on the home page in the scrolling box (as well as instagram).

Im sure he will put out some great images though for everybody and fill this thread with tons of information. Im looking forward to it.

Do you happen to know which loft got sent? Not that it's a big deal, just curiosity?

Honestly no idea.

No problem, I like surprises. Should be here any day now.

Having gone through some recent dealings with the Mizuno Fli Hi, these seem of a similar ilk. More iron look, can flow in to a set nice, and offered in plenty of lofts so folks can fit them in wherever they want, depending on how they plan on using them.

Oh I know how the process works, I've been around a minute :angel:

I saw the one on the homepage, I was just hoping for some address pics, but now that I know Dean will be doing the review I know he will have a ton of pics, he's become quite the little photographer.

Just making conversation, that was all.

Oh I know how the process works, I've been around a minute :angel:

I saw the one on the homepage, I was just hoping for some address pics, but now that I know Dean will be doing the review I know he will have a ton of pics, he's become quite the little photographer.

Just making conversation, that was all.

snow will make for a nice white background haha

This seems like a quiet release for Callaway, but I know they have some bigger things coming very soon.

This seems like a quiet release for Callaway, but I know they have some bigger things coming very soon.

Snow. Ew.

I'm eager to see the in-hands, think we can get a side by side and size comparison with the Fli-Hi?

These going up to 30* has my interest in full.

Kind of a niche club. I want to hit the 27 degree badly but definitely not in the project X Shaft.

Kind of a niche club. I want to hit the 27 degree badly but definitely not in the project X Shaft.

That 27* is the sweetspot of me wanting to try as well. I'm curious.

Yup- or as a 5 iron replacement

That 27* is the sweetspot of me wanting to try as well. I'm curious.

something I like seeing is that some of these style clubs are reaching those higher lofts.

something I like seeing is that some of these style clubs are reaching those higher lofts.

Agreed. Its great for those of us who want to look at something iron-like there, but want more launch. These and the Fli-Hi are really making a run at that segment.

Yup- whatever the loft. It's something I'll checkout

My current 24 similar to my 5 but the trajectory is a little lower and less spin...same shaft. I can fly the Apex 5i high and land it fairly soft but the 24 definitely has about a club more total distance with roll. Just my own experience having both since April of 16.

Back