Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

Really regret letting go of my 21* Apex UT for some occasions and it may have a permanent spot in my bag now. These have my full attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My current 24 similar to my 5 but the trajectory is a little lower and less spin...same shaft. I can fly the Apex 5i high and land it fairly soft but the 24 definitely has about a club more total distance with roll. Just my own experience having both since April of 16.

Exactly what i was looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Callaway Apex UT 18* was a game changer club for me when it originally came out. I found that club to be the perfect hybrid replacement because I cannot hit them in the first place. I also needed a replacement club for a long iron and something that I could hit on tight driving holes and it was perfect.

Then ladies and gentleman I get to ECPC fully thinking that an Apex UT will be in my bag and to my surprise...Callaway X Forged UT! Let me tell you about this club. I have mine in 18* and the look of this club is phenomenal. Not only does it blend well with my X Forged irons but the sole width and top line of this club are the best that Callaway has ever offered. I had trouble elevating the ball with the old UT off the deck and wasn’t a fan of how it went through the turf but X Forged UT cuts through the turf so well and the ball seems to explode off the face.

I hit a couple tee balls with this club and I can honestly say that I was catching some farther than my playing partners drives. It’s an absolute missile launcher. I ended up going with a KBS 125 S+ to match my irons per recommendation of my fitter. Huge fan of this club!

Last edited:
The Callaway Apex UT 18* was a game changer club for me when it originally came out. I found that club to be the perfect hybrid replacement because I cannot hit them in the first place. I also needed a replacement club for a long iron and something that I could hit on tight driving holes and it was perfect.

Then ladies and gentleman I get to ECPC fully thinking that an Apex UT will be in my bag and to my surprise...Callaway X Forged UT! Let me tell you about this club. I have mine in 18* and the look of this club is phenomenal. Not only does it blend well with my X Forged irons but the sole width and top line of this club are the best that Callaway has ever offered. I had trouble elevating the ball with the Old UT off the deck and wasn’t a fan of how it went through the turf but X Forged UT cuts through the turf so well and the ball seems to explode off the face.

I hit a couple tee balls with this club and I can honestly say that I was catching some farther than my playing partners drives. It’s an absolute missile launcher. I ended up going with a KBS 125 S+ to match my irons per recommendation of my fitter. Huge fan of this club!

This is what I want to hear...

I could see one of the higher lofts being at the top of a super combo setup. UT 5i, 6-9 XForged and PW-AW MB... yes please!!!

I really like how they have the higher lofts this iteration. Makes it flow into many more iron setups than before.

I really look forward to putting one of these in the bag. Thinking the 24* should be the perfect fit but really interested in the 27* as well.

That 27* is the sweetspot of me wanting to try as well. I'm curious.

the 27* and 30* will definitely be hit during my fitting next month. Numbers will be posted when I get them but I'm so giddy to test these out.

I opted for both the 18 and 21 Degree X-Forged UT's during my Grandaddy fitting. I am not a very good hybrid or fairway player and only pull those clubs out of the bag on the course a few times a month.... so I didn't want to leave myself short anymore on those approach shots from 200+. In the past I would always lay up to a certain distance because I was never comfortable hitting those long iron shots.

From the tee it has always been Driver for me.... so this gives me another element to find fairways on shorter Par 4's or even tricky Par 5's where hitting the fairway is a must to score low. They are great from almost every lie where the ball isn't plugged or in any real danger. Since the Grandaddy I have used it off the tee on short Par 4's as a fairway finder. I have used them from the fairway's on Par 5's to give me a shot at the green in 2 for the first time. I have used them from the rough AND it is a fantastic club to keep the ball low on punch out shots from under trees etc. Also, I have used it on long Par 3's. It really is a Utility club as there are so many uses for it on the course.

There was only one club I knew I really wanted going into the fitting and it was a driving iron / UT Iron. This fits the bill and so much more. Couldn't be happier with this addition.

Edit: Also I have ZERO issue with getting these clubs and the ball airborn. I know I generally have a high ball flight and these are no different. Very majestic shots but I really love those stinger low shots on windy days!
Edit2: Fitted with the KBS C-Taper Lite Shaft

Beautiful club I think I need to hit this. I hit my Apex 4i off the tee a lot and get good results with it but if this is an improvement with misses towards the toe it may be hard to pass up.

That's a nice looking UT!

@JDax when you were hitting it well on the range at ECPC, what kind of ball flight were you seeing out of it? Was it comparable to hybrid height or a little more piercing trajectory? Then went things went a little sideways with it what was your miss with it?

I have hit this club great every time I been on the range with it, from the ECPC to my home range.
It is slightly heavier than the XR 4 Hybrid I was playing. The main thing that we saw on the Trackman was lower spin and a lower launch angle but greater distance. The trajectory is lower and more penetrating than the 4 Hybrid.

When it gets sideways, I either miss off of the heel or roll the sod over it. I’ve never carried a UT before, so most of the negatives are the Indian and not the arrow .

I work at DICK’S tomorrow night, we just got a new Foresight Sim, I’ll hit it in the Sim and post some numbers.

29b2780e95ce7c4ec013d44af17f3f1c.jpg

a543774e6f68b322420c45a2b03332f9.jpg

c1df4eb21a90b9424b5e93157695508c.jpg

d6c69c6e234332a2703c73690af52549.jpg

These are some very sharp looking clubs. I assumed one would end up in my bag for the Grandaddy, but I ended up hitting the redacted Hybrid so much better. Pretty sure a few guys ended up with these and will be chiming in.

Exact same thing! I didn't even get to these clubs I was hitting the hybrid so well. But now that I've been hitting my X forged long irons so well I'm wondering about these! I should have at least tried them while in Carlsbad. But I'm giving this hybrid a fair shake.

I am happy with the TEE driving iron but the photos and write up has my interested piqued. $250 for a driving iron is a little rich for my blood though.

I am happy with the TEE driving iron but the photos and write up has my interested piqued. $250 for a driving iron is a little rich for my blood though.

$250 for a one trick pony sure but it can be so much more than just off the tee.

You don't have the nickname, "Straight Up Cash" for no reason!

$250 for a one trick pony sure but it can be so much more than just off the tee.

It is in the same price range of a fairway wood or hybrid so I get what you are saying.

You don't have the nickname, "Straight Up Cash" for no reason!

Straight up no cash you mean.

So jacked up for this release. Love my Apex UT 21* and have been looking for a 18* to match with no luck (lefty). Will definitely be testing this one.

I opted for both the 18 and 21 Degree X-Forged UT's during my Grandaddy fitting. I am not a very good hybrid or fairway player and only pull those clubs out of the bag on the course a few times a month.... so I didn't want to leave myself short anymore on those approach shots from 200+. In the past I would always lay up to a certain distance because I was never comfortable hitting those long iron shots.

From the tee it has always been Driver for me.... so this gives me another element to find fairways on shorter Par 4's or even tricky Par 5's where hitting the fairway is a must to score low. They are great from almost every lie where the ball isn't plugged or in any real danger. Since the Grandaddy I have used it off the tee on short Par 4's as a fairway finder. I have used them from the fairway's on Par 5's to give me a shot at the green in 2 for the first time. I have used them from the rough AND it is a fantastic club to keep the ball low on punch out shots from under trees etc. Also, I have used it on long Par 3's. It really is a Utility club as there are so many uses for it on the course.

There was only one club I knew I really wanted going into the fitting and it was a driving iron / UT Iron. This fits the bill and so much more. Couldn't be happier with this addition.

Edit: Also I have ZERO issue with getting these clubs and the ball airborn. I know I generally have a high ball flight and these are no different. Very majestic shots but I really love those stinger low shots on windy days!
Edit2: Fitted with the KBS C-Taper Lite Shaft

What shaft did you go with? lowest loft I would look at is 24* but curious what you went with.

I am curious, did anyone hit this and the standard epic irons? they are the same price new, and since Epic has hit CPO, I am curious what people found the difference to be as far as shape and flight.

That's a good looking club. Something like that could be fun toward the top of the bag to play around with.

Callaway's answer to the Fli-Hi and T-MB?

Cool thing will be The Dean of THP can put these head to head with the Fli-Hi!

i'm looking forward to that comparison and hopefully he receives a higher lofter head from Callaway and I'm very interested in reading his take on the UT.

i'm looking forward to that comparison and hopefully he receives a higher lofter head from Callaway and I'm very interested in reading his take on the UT.
It'll be vintage Dean knowledge bombs as always!

Back