Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

Didn't really hit the Apex UT very well but I'd give this another go since I still like the looks and concept of this type of club.

Anybody know what the stock graphite option will be? The Apex UT came with a Recoil 680 IIRC. I will definitely need a graphite shaft for this bad boy.

Anybody know what the stock graphite option will be? The Apex UT came with a Recoil 680 IIRC. I will definitely need a graphite shaft for this bad boy.

I’ll be honest I was not a fan of graphite for a driving iron. I bought a HZRDUS Black 105g hybrid shaft for my u45 and I’ve come to the conclusion that heavier is better. Than again...that’s just what I prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be honest I was not a fan of graphite for a driving iron. I bought a HZRDUS Black 105g hybrid shaft for my u45 and I’ve come to the conclusion that heavier is better. Than again...that’s just what I prefer.

Gotcha, 105 would feel like a sledgehammer to me :) I game 90ish gram shafts in my irons so I can't really go over that in a utility.

Gotcha, 105 would feel like a sledgehammer to me :) I game 90ish gram shafts in my irons so I can't really go over that in a utility.

For sure man. I would suggest swinging them because the feel off the face is explosive. For lack of better word.

For sure man. I would suggest swinging them because the feel off the face is explosive. For lack of better word.

Awesome to hear. I saw a pretty significant jump going from the Apex to CF16. I've got to give some credit to the 360 face cup for that, so I'm pretty excited about this tech being in a UT offering. Will definitely be hitting the X Forged as soon as demos hit the stores.

Awesome to hear. I saw a pretty significant jump going from the Apex to CF16. I've got to give some credit to the 360 face cup for that, so I'm pretty excited about this tech being in a UT offering. Will definitely be hitting the X Forged as soon as demos hit the stores.

The 360 cup face is no joke and the x Forged ut is a much better profile overall than the old UT.

The 360 cup face is no joke and the x Forged ut is a much better profile overall than the old UT.

From the pics, it looks like a sleeker top line and the back doesn't protrude quite as much, is that right? It's hard to tell for sure.

From the pics, it looks like a sleeker top line and the back doesn't protrude quite as much, is that right? It's hard to tell for sure.

That is right my man! It’s a smaller and sleeker design!

Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

I am curious, did anyone hit this and the standard epic irons? they are the same price new, and since Epic has hit CPO, I am curious what people found the difference to be as far as shape and flight.

I just hit this against the Epic & Redacted Hybrid, because that was the spot in the bag we were shooting for... I never hit the X-Forged Irons v. Epic. The irons I hit were Apex CF16s, Epic, Epic Pros, Redacted, & Redacted Pros...

@Pringles- Did you hit the X-Forged v. Epic?

I just hit this against the Epic & Redacted Hybrid, because that was the spot in the bag we were shooting for... I never hit the X-Forged Irons v. Epic. The irons I hit were Apex CF16s, Epic, Epic Pros, Redacted, & Redacted Pros...

So what did you think compared to the standard Epic irons?

So what did you think compared to the standard Epic irons?

I found a huge feel difference between this iron and the Epic Irons. When you catch this iron on the screws it feels very similar to the Apex CF16s. It’s that feeling of nothingness, that is so good.
The Epic’s felt harsher, if that makes sense...

As far as ball flight, the Epics launched too high and spun too much to be good for me. The Epic Pros were better in that regard, but the Apex CF16s & Redacted Pros gave me the best numbers, so we went with the Redacted Pros.

This is the one club I wish I'd gotten to hit at ECPC but didn't think to ask. Love the idea of a driving iron, though I don't know if I've got the game to bag one or not. Settled on a redacted hybrid in this spot (4I) for me, which I've hit well, so I'm not going to mess with it for now but will be on the lookout for some of these to test out.

If it’s forged that means the 18° can be bent a whole bunch loft wise, I’d be curious to go towards more of a 16° (1 iron) to replace a 5 wood. This is on the radar

Sent from HTX

If it’s forged that means the 18° can be bent a whole bunch loft wise, I’d be curious to go towards more of a 16° (1 iron) to replace a 5 wood. This is on the radar

Sent from HTX

Don't you deloft the club through impact? I think an 18* would be perfect 5w replacement for you.

Don't you deloft the club through impact? I think an 18* would be perfect 5w replacement for you.

Very true. Didn’t cross my mind. mr caliente you don’t miss anything

Sent from HTX

This is a really good looking UT. I've never bagged one but I would be really curious to see what I could do with one...more as a 5i replacement than a hybrid replacement.

I hit the X Forged Utility 21 Degree v. The XR 4 Hybrid 22 Degree on a Foresight tonight. Here were the numbers...

97dc66ac9e109a1d4953ea9d9cde345a.jpg

The Callaway Apex UT 18* was a game changer club for me when it originally came out. I found that club to be the perfect hybrid replacement because I cannot hit them in the first place. I also needed a replacement club for a long iron and something that I could hit on tight driving holes and it was perfect.

Then ladies and gentleman I get to ECPC fully thinking that an Apex UT will be in my bag and to my surprise...Callaway X Forged UT! Let me tell you about this club. I have mine in 18* and the look of this club is phenomenal. Not only does it blend well with my X Forged irons but the sole width and top line of this club are the best that Callaway has ever offered. I had trouble elevating the ball with the old UT off the deck and wasn’t a fan of how it went through the turf but X Forged UT cuts through the turf so well and the ball seems to explode off the face.

I hit a couple tee balls with this club and I can honestly say that I was catching some farther than my playing partners drives. It’s an absolute missile launcher. I ended up going with a KBS 125 S+ to match my irons per recommendation of my fitter. Huge fan of this club!

YESSSSS!!! Love it! Thanks for the thoughts! Looking forward to following your progress with it!

Exact same thing! I didn't even get to these clubs I was hitting the hybrid so well. But now that I've been hitting my X forged long irons so well I'm wondering about these! I should have at least tried them while in Carlsbad. But I'm giving this hybrid a fair shake.

Order it. Only way to know for sure :)

The Callaway Apex UT 18* was a game changer club for me when it originally came out. I found that club to be the perfect hybrid replacement because I cannot hit them in the first place. I also needed a replacement club for a long iron and something that I could hit on tight driving holes and it was perfect.

Then ladies and gentleman I get to ECPC fully thinking that an Apex UT will be in my bag and to my surprise...Callaway X Forged UT! Let me tell you about this club. I have mine in 18* and the look of this club is phenomenal. Not only does it blend well with my X Forged irons but the sole width and top line of this club are the best that Callaway has ever offered. I had trouble elevating the ball with the old UT off the deck and wasn’t a fan of how it went through the turf but X Forged UT cuts through the turf so well and the ball seems to explode off the face.

I hit a couple tee balls with this club and I can honestly say that I was catching some farther than my playing partners drives. It’s an absolute missile launcher. I ended up going with a KBS 125 S+ to match my irons per recommendation of my fitter. Huge fan of this club!

That sells it for me, most of what you said about Hybrids describes me to a tee. I will def be getting one!

That sells it for me, most of what you said about Hybrids describes me to a tee. I will def be getting one!

That’s awesome to hear! I know the price point will turn people away from this club but honestly what’s the difference if you get this club or a hybrid? Especially if you have s club that’s an absolute monster off the tee and is not going to produce that nasty duck hook you can get with a hybrid. The misses with this club are going to still give you a chance to score and that’s what I really like about this club.

That’s awesome to hear! I know the price point will turn people away from this club but honestly what’s the difference if you get this club or a hybrid? Especially if you have s club that’s an absolute monster off the tee and is not going to produce that nasty duck hook you can get with a hybrid. The misses with this club are going to still give you a chance to score and that’s what I really like about this club.

Plus it's bada$$ looking

Back