Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are pretty nice looking. Probably not something I’ll be gaming. I do find it very interesting that they’re pushing these all the way out to 30*. If I’m not mistaken that’s 5/6 iron territory.

Looks sharp. Having never even hit a utility iron before I would like to try one out on course although not sure what it would replace maybe 3 wood off tee? Have to start by doing some testing at local GT in next couple of months.

These are some very sharp looking clubs. I assumed one would end up in my bag for the Grandaddy, but I ended up hitting the redacted Hybrid so much better. Pretty sure a few guys ended up with these and will be chiming in.

Looks good, def on the list for me

I have the current lineup...a 24, 21 and one labeled 18 that is playing a few degrees less than that.

I can’t wait to check these out. I bag either the “18” or 21 depending on what conditions are instead of a hybrid and love them.

Like the look and the features / tech of these clubs. Looking forward to the full review. A 30 degree kind of surprised, but did not disappoint, me in a club like this.

I like that they went this route with these. Seems similar to the likes of a MP18 FLI HI with them going as high as a 30*, and might make some combo sets a lot easier for some that need the added versatility and forgiveness at the top of the bag

Finally a solid date these will be available. My preorder will be going in asap when possible. I can't wait to try the 30* and 27*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the current lineup...a 24, 21 and one labeled 18 that is playing a few degrees less than that.

I can’t wait to check these out. I bag either the “18” or 21 depending on what conditions are instead of a hybrid and love them.
Do you find them to be easier to control dispersion wise or just easier to flight?

I've got the 21* model in my bag, bent one degree strong to 20* to help with gaps (since I believe the Epic Pro 4 iron is 21.5*)

I hit it with a Project X LZ shaft at ECPC during my fitting, but we went with a KBS prototype hybrid shaft for the version that went in my bag.

I think I only hit it a couple of times during competition, and a couple of times on the simulator since being back. Early returns look like I probably should've stuck with the steel shaft, but I think this thing is going to be a fairway finding machine for me this summer. With a normal swing the flight was high enough to my eye, but it was a lot easier to flight and move around than the Apex hybrid I had in this spot in my bag before the Grandaddy.

I'll try and get some in hand pictures when the sun is up and there is better lighting here this morning.

If anyone has any questions though, swing away...

Do you find them to be easier to control dispersion wise or just easier to flight?

Well, yes to both but some of it is just confidence. I don’t feel as comfortable standing over a hybrid though I haven’t bagged one in months so not sure how I feel now...and I seem to turn hybrids over a bit too much, always a hook machine for me.

I primarily use the UT’s for another tee option on tight / short par 4’s or layup club on a really long par 5. I actually love them for playing into the wind too.

I've got the 21* model in my bag, bent one degree strong to 20* to help with gaps (since I believe the Epic Pro 4 iron is 21.5*)

I hit it with a Project X LZ shaft at ECPC during my fitting, but we went with a KBS prototype hybrid shaft for the version that went in my bag.

I think I only hit it a couple of times during competition, and a couple of times on the simulator since being back. Early returns look like I probably should've stuck with the steel shaft, but I think this thing is going to be a fairway finding machine for me this summer. With a normal swing the flight was high enough to my eye, but it was a lot easier to flight and move around than the Apex hybrid I had in this spot in my bag before the Grandaddy.

I'll try and get some in hand pictures when the sun is up and there is better lighting here this morning.

How is it off the deck and off the tee? Either really stand out?

Nice preview Josh.

I like the variability in the lofts and the hollow body design with cup face.

Also them putting the lofts on the sole is a nice touch

How is it off the deck and off the tee? Either really stand out?

Much to my surprise it's very easy to elevate of the deck. I probably hit about 10 balls before I even thought about teeing one up during my fitting.

Off the tee in the simulators it's been a bit wonky, but I'm blaming that mostly on rust and the fixed height rubber tees I'm forced to deal with up here in the Arctic.

I hit the 18* a bit during warm ups, and I don't think I have the swing speed to hit that off the deck regularly but the 21* was not an issue at all.

Interested in the kbs proto set up as that is probably the shaft I'll be choosing for my UT. What flex did you go with and how much lower did the ball fly as compared to the steel shaft did?

Much to my surprise it's very easy to elevate of the deck. I probably hit about 10 balls before I even thought about teeing one up during my fitting.

Off the tee in the simulators it's been a bit wonky, but I'm blaming that mostly on rust and the fixed height rubber tees I'm forced to deal with up here in the Arctic.

I hit the 18* a bit during warm ups, and I don't think I have the swing speed to hit that off the deck regularly but the 21* was not an issue at all.

Awesome thanks. I'm look my for a versatile 4/5 iron ish to use off the deck and off the tee at my home course. The Apex 5 did the job nicely, but new and shiny is awesome

How does the face length/profile compare to the Apex long irons?

Well, yes to both but some of it is just confidence. I don’t feel as comfortable standing over a hybrid though I haven’t bagged one in months so not sure how I feel now...and I seem to turn hybrids over a bit too much, always a hook machine for me.

I primarily use the UT’s for another tee option on tight / short par 4’s or layup club on a really long par 5. I actually love them for playing into the wind too.
I've been the total opposite historically. Haha! I may need to try a UT again. It's been a few years and I just was never confident I'd get the launch I needed.

I've been the total opposite historically. Haha! I may need to try a UT again. It's been a few years and I just was never confident I'd get the launch I needed.

Some of it is just gapping for me too. I don’t hit a ton of irons above a 6 or 7 in general other than the scenarios mentioned.

The UT’s work great as, well, a utility club or driving iron.

I know youll have multiple of these

Interested in the kbs proto set up as that is probably the shaft I'll be choosing for my UT. What flex did you go with and how much lower did the ball fly as compared to the steel shaft did?

We didn't really talk much about the KBS shaft. It was sort of a "a lot of guys on tour are going with hybrid graphite shafts in their utility irons if you want to do something like that" at the last minute. We didn't really talk about what the options would be, or the flex profile of the shaft. I basically said something along the lines of "that sounds interesting, let's do it. I trust your recommendation". I was put into the S+

I haven't been able to hit the two shafts side by side, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I'll also say that I was swinging much better during my fitting than I was on the golf course. If I had to compare them based on the *very* limited amount of action I've seen so far though I'd say that to my eye the KBS shaft seemed to fly a bit lower and flatter, nothing dramatic. I think I prefer the feel and responsiveness I was getting from the stock Project X shaft though to be honest. This is all subject to change once I get to thaw out up here. I can say for sure that this thing is going to get a work out as a tee option on shorter par 4s (especially given how far my new 3 wood is flying).

How does the face length/profile compare to the Apex long irons?

I don't have any Apex irons for comparisons, but I grabbed the long irons I have laying around for some photos:

qYCt5sW.jpg

8JD2Ged.jpg

rX2PmZq.jpg

bmpg3r1.jpg

HWZeKHk.jpg

This club is in my Grandaddy Bag...
I was fitted for the 21 degree w/ KBS C-Taper Lite Shaft.

I have played only 2 rounds with it in the bag since the Grandaddy, but spent a lot of time on the range with it...

If y’all have questions ask away...

Back