2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh you should have seen the "squats" I saw going on at the gym last night, monitored by one of the "trainers" getting her masters in whatever fitness related thing she was studying.

Nothing would surprise me.

I still don't understand why in the fk you would do smith machine rows lol is his thought that they are easier for her? Just go lighter on the bar

I still have no idea what that lift was doing. She was moving the bar a few inches and all that idiot kept saying was, "squeeze your back".

Nothing would surprise me.

I still have no idea what that lift was doing. She was moving the bar a few inches and all that idiot kept saying was, "squeeze your back".
Really is sad. Like we talked about, sh!tty instructors for certain things will just not get you anywhere but these idiots for fitness scare me because they could straight up ruin your body. I'm a newb and some of these things still shock me.

Feels good to be back to my egg and chocolate milk habit. I don't know how but it was difficult to eat enough at my parents.

Feels good to be back to my egg and chocolate milk habit. I don't know how but it was difficult to eat enough at my parents.

hehe, give that in a few weeks I am retesting my 1rm, I have started planning my dirty bulk. Makes me so happy.

Didn't wake up early enough this morning, but got my HIIT session in this evening. Was harder than I remember, but that's probably because I took 3 months off... I modified it slightly to take out squat jumps (I do enough squatting!) and burpees (read on the internet they're pretty hard on your back), and reduced the rest period from 1 minute to 45 seconds. I want this routine to be sustainable and not something I dread doing, and if I can't find 30 minutes to workout then I've got problems.

Didn't wake up early enough this morning, but got my HIIT session in this evening. Was harder than I remember, but that's probably because I took 3 months off... I modified it slightly to take out squat jumps (I do enough squatting!) and burpees (read on the internet they're pretty hard on your back), and reduced the rest period from 1 minute to 45 seconds. I want this routine to be sustainable and not something I dread doing, and if I can't find 30 minutes to workout then I've got problems.
Never underestimate the value of mountain climbers, jumping Jacks, and jump ropes for HIIT.

Never underestimate the value of mountain climbers, jumping Jacks, and jump ropes for HIIT.
All 3 are in my routine. I feel it's a pretty solid routine and gets my heart pumping.

My first Tabata class tomm

hehe, give that in a few weeks I am retesting my 1rm, I have started planning my dirty bulk. Makes me so happy.

Possibly the best time of the year

Damn front squats haha I actually don't mind them too much since I've done them a few times now but I can't do half as much weight as back. This the same for you guys?

Forgot I heard back from my buddy Blu and he said he has me doing front squats because they will help me squat upright, really get a good core brace and thus helping me build a good foundation for back squats. He explained it like they were different but fronts will ultimately help lead me to an even better back squat. Now that was my chopped up summary but he went way more in depth the reasoning seemed solid.

100% agreed.
I should expound. The front squats will force you to activate your core, keeping a tight upper and lower back. When you go back to the low back squats, you will be able to keep a tighter upper back and be able to support higher weights without losing back tightness.

Forgot I heard back from my buddy Blu and he said he has me doing front squats because they will help me squat upright, really get a good core brace and thus helping me build a good foundation for back squats. He explained it like they were different but fronts will ultimately help lead me to an even better back squat. Now that was my chopped up summary but he went way more in depth the reasoning seemed solid.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
100% agreed.

Awesome glad to know I'm being led down a good track haha my buddy has lot of experience and competes so id be disappointed otherwise lol.

Edited original post for more info.
Awesome glad to know I'm being led down a good track haha my buddy has lot of experience and competes so id be disappointed otherwise lol.

Why is it good to learn to squat upright? I understand why it's good for front squats. But why should all squats be done with an upright torso?

Edited original post for more info.

Awesome thanks man. Makes sense and I'm glad they are useful for me. Looking forward to progressing with them and then hoping to get that 1.5x low bar this year!

Why is it good to learn to squat upright? I understand why it's good for front squats. But why should all squats be done with an upright torso?

Can you even back squat completely upright? I feel like you'd dump the weight. Even high bar (which I tend do do as I need to work on flexibility in my arms and shoulders) I feel like I'm leaning forward a bit.

I'm pretty sure the idea is just to learn to be more upright, not totally upright. I'm a tall ass dude so training not to hunch over seems good.

Can you even back squat completely upright? I feel like you'd dump the weight. Even high bar (which I tend do do as I need to work on flexibility in my arms and shoulders) I feel like I'm leaning forward a bit.
It can be done. Usually ends poorly. Either with blown out knees or a dumped bar.
I'm pretty sure the idea is just to learn to be more upright, not totally upright. I'm a tall ass dude so training not to hunch over seems good.
I would have to see it. With a LBBS, the back angle is slightly horizontal. Nipples pointed at the floor is the cue.

It can be done. Usually ends poorly. Either with blown out knees or a dumped bar.

I would have to see it. With a LBBS, the back angle is slightly horizontal. Nipples pointed at the floor is the cue.
I know and my low bar is exactly like that. My understanding is its just the idea and it's not to get you to actually back squat vertical. If I were to use crappy form with a front squat and almost "good morning" I would dump that weight. Seems like most crappy back squats do involve that good morning type movement so my understanding is training a good front squat will just help my back squat that much more. He's not trying to literally get me to back squat vertical or absolutely upright. I think the upright in this case is just "more upright" compared to a nasty slumped over good morning type movement. Well at least thats how I'm taking it. Emphasis on improving form and saving my back. Granted my back squat is pretty solid imo I think he's trying to ultimately get it more solid through the use of different squat variations.

I should add he had an emphasis on core bracing and learning with the front squats to ultimately help my lbbs

I try to back squat at 30° from upright. I don't like the feeling of all the weight trying to bend my back.

I try to back squat at 30° from upright. I don't like the feeling of all the weight trying to bend my back.

Fwiw, on all squats, the back angle is whatever is necessary to keep the bar over mid foot. That feeling is much easier to grasp at heavier weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back