Personal Goals to Make Equipment Purchases

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Was talking to the wife today and decided with my current weight loss routine I would like to set a personal goal and reward myself, and since I only love golf I thought maybe a goal would be great justification for a large purchase. I decided I would set a goal of losing 27 pounds and when I meet it, I would purchase a set of custom irons only if I met the goal. Normally I have been a bit of a spender and we are cutting back to buy a new house so the purchases are a little more sparing now. But if I meet the goal, I will reward myself.

I wonder if others follow some sort of path to justify or reward themselves with golf equipment specifically. Maybe its golf score related, maybe its personal. Whatever it is, do you reward yourself for meeting your own goals?

I reward myself with something every tournament win. It's the only way I stay within my yearly golf budget =).

So, I usually end up getting in shape to win a tournament to get something new. Evnroll ER1.1 is my 2018 prize of choice.

I didn't wait but I booked myself a fitting and picked up a new bag to get back to walking 18 holes again. I want to get back into shape and I thought by changing things up I could think "out with the old and step up for what's new".

It made sense in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done this, but I like the idea. One of my big goals is to get back into shape, so maybe I should quantify it and add a reward.

I set golf goals to purchase new equipment when I first started playing. Had a cheap beginner box set and told myself if I could eventuality par every hole at our hometown course, I'd buy a set of irons.

I get decent annual bonuses at work so I can justify using a small portion of that for equipment (like I just did with F8 driver & irons). Like you, golf is only thing I really spend money on so basically allow my yearly performance at work to treat myself.

I have not set goals or rewarded myself, but it sounds pretty cool. What will you purchase? PXG type custom or Xforged type of purchase?

I get decent annual bonuses at work so I can justify using a small portion of that for equipment (like I just did with F8 driver & irons). Like you, golf is only thing I really spend money on so basically allow my yearly performance at work to treat myself.

Those F8 irons are looooonngggg and that driver, omg.

I used to reward myself with a purchase if my year end bonus was over a certain amount when I was in sales. Usually a driver, and even then I bought one on closeout or was gently used to save some cash.

Since I transitioned out of sales, I still get a bonus but it's not as high so I haven't bought anything the past few years.

I reward myself, but it can be non golf related. I’ve used a putter or driver as motivation to accomplish a goal, but usually it’s something I’ll get more “run” out of longer term. The last thing was the 60” LCD I bought and put up in our family room. My goal, but the whole family enjoys it.

I reward myself each payday. I know this sounds stupid but if you think about how life works it makes sense. It may be a shirt, pair of shorts, dozen balls, few bags of tees, pair of shoes if I need them: I work to live, not live to work. Buying the small stuff makes it easier to go back to work.

As far as big purchases, I reward myself at tax time. In the golf world it works out really well because of the timing of pretty much all major releases. The small stuff does add up at $50 or so, but I try to avoid the lump sum purchases that leave a dent in the budget.

I do actually have a fitness goal that is tied into golf. I started October first to lose 31lbs in 31 days. Sounds like a lot but I knew I had 15 pounds of fluid and bad that would drop the minute I stopped eating all the potato chips and cut out bad calories. The other 15 pounds of hard work was bad but I did it. From that point, I was at 195. Over the holidays I put a few back on, but if I hit 190lbs by March first, I get a new driver and possibly wedges. Don't really need the wedges but I can't hit anything but a fade with my driver and it kills me on some local courses.

I follow the same as a few others have said. We get a yearly bonus each March so I use a bit of that on a club or 2 as the season gets going. Nice reward for a year's worth of hard work.

Nope..

Nah, I used to do it with guitars when I was younger and had a good bonus structure, but now I kind of just buy what I want.

I like the idea though and it's something I should probably think about doing, I'm overweight and that sounds like a great idea to tie in weight loss to a new set of sticks.

Back