What would you consider these

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
Had a conversation at work today. We were talking clubs and classifications. He stated that the AP1 were SGI irons and the AP3 were GI irons. I think the AP3 are players irons kind of like the AP2s. Then we talked callaway and how the XR line is more SGI and the XR Pro is GI. Then apex being GI and he classified the pros as GI too. I think the pros are a more players club.

Also what are the advantages of using a players club compared to a SGI aside from workability and consistent distances?

Sent from HTX

Im not a classification person because companies learned to blend the tech when irons like Apex came out.
If XR is SGI, what is Big Bertha? or where does TMB fall? Its all about what works for someone. If a tour player uses a larger iron does that mean its game improvement?

The differences are vast, and the biggest one is going to be launch and spin, and those things go hand in hand. Spin is necessary for the workability you discussed. I will say that consistent distances in perimeter weighted irons were an issue in the past, but not much of one anymore.

I think over classifying irons is a futile endeavor. The lines get more and more blurred every year it seems like.

I don’t think I’d call any of the AP series as SGI irons though. SGI is going to be really thick cavity back, probably lots of offset.

My opinion is technology has advanced that you can’t compartmentalize irons like we have in previous years.

Sure some lines from OEMs have tech to help get the ball in the air, increase distance, and those could be considered SGI/GI, but I think in some instances that’s doing the design a disservice

Between technology that sits in more and more compact packages and progressive sets like what Cobra has for their main line of irons, it's almost impossible to categorize irons neatly into players, GI, SGI style irons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hate classifications, but, they're a necessity for making it easier for less educated golfers to grasp the range of skill the irons are pointed at.

Yea clubmakers mix and blend lately. One of the things I look at is the long irons, in my experience (and this isn’t true with all makers) players irons tend to have a thin sole and are forged. The 3 iron in AP1 for example has a huge sole for generating height with the club. Doesn’t matter much in all reality, we tend to play what we are most consistent with. I have a blended set right now, use a driving 3 iron from one manufacturer, 4 iron is a MP-25, 5 and 6 are Cobra one Length, and the rest are MP-25’s (except the wedges which are also blended).

The lines are so blurred and there is so much crossover in tech the simple sgi, gi, players doesn’t work anymore.

Not to answer a question with a question but,
What does it matter? If the irons help you and your game aren't they gi irons? Just because they are a huge cavity doesn't men they're SGI imo. If that's the case at one point I had blades, micro cavities, game improvement and SGI irons in the bag at the same time.( combo set)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Classification is tough any more like has been mentioned, lots of lines have been crossed. Players irons, GI, and SGI work I guess, but I don't really look at them that way anymore personally. I look at them more along the lines of what's behind the face. Is it solid with mass? Is it a thin face cavity back? Or is it a hollow bodied iron? That's just easier for me, take it for what it's worth...not much.

Back