Rules question: The whiff

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
My dad just called and asked if you whiff with your driver on the tee. And that ball remains on the tee, can you play it as is. Or does it need to come off the tee?

I always thought that if there was intent to strike the ball, it counted as a stroke?

I would say you have to play it as it lies (on the tee) for your second shot

I guess you'd have to play it as it lies? It seems weird to play your 2nd shot off of a tee, but the only other option would be to touch/change the lie of a ball in play, right?

What was the ruling when Kevin Na did it? He took his practice swings, set up to hit the ball and then swung over the top of it, although he intentionally pulled off at the last moment.

I agree with Buckets, if the swing was intent on hitting the ball, you are now playing your second shot from the tee. Interested to hear the answer.

Interesting thought. I have seen this happen more than once. I have never seen anyone take the ball off the tee. Whether that's right or not I have no clue. Never really thought about it before.

Stroke. Play it as it lies, I think that's what I've read.

I agree with Buckets, if the swing was intent on hitting the ball, you are now playing your second shot from the tee. Interested to hear the answer.

I always thought that if there was intent to strike the ball, it counted as a stroke?

I don't think there is a question as to whether it was a stroke or not, just how to play the second shot. And as it lies (on the tee) seems the only option.

I get that but how is the next shot played if the ball remains on the tee?

I get that but how is the next shot played if the ball remains on the tee?

I just read this in the USGA rule book. If you address the ball and take a full swing, it is considered a stroke. If you do a check swing, it is not a stroke. The next stroke must be played as it lies. If the ball is still on the tee, it must be played as such.

Along the same lines, ive always been curious about the practice swing that clips the ball. If my intent isnt to hit it, does it count? Honestly because ive done it a few times on accident lol

I just read this in the USGA rule book. If you address the ball and take a full swing, it is considered a stroke. If you do a check swing, it is not a stroke. The next stroke must be played as it lies. If the ball is still on the tee, it must be played as such.

That is how I would interpret it, you are hitting 2 off the tee.

I know about the stroke for the whiff. I just wanted to know about the next shot. Thanks fellas

Just say you didn't intend to hit the ball, just like Kevin Na.

" dad / I love you but that is really just awful . Your Christmas gift will be a 12'pack of golf lessons"

that would be the next location to make his next swing

Yes, agree with you all. Stoke, but it stays on the tee, hitting 2.

Along the same lines, ive always been curious about the practice swing that clips the ball. If my intent isnt to hit it, does it count? Honestly because ive done it a few times on accident lol

Not a stroke (it's not in play yet) and re-tee it. If you do it once your tee shot is over, I believe you have to replace it and take a penalty stroke.

Also, if your waggle hits the ball off the tee, it's not a stroke.

" dad / I love you but that is really just awful . Your Christmas gift will be a 12'pack of golf lessons"

that would be the next location to make his next swing
Maybe you could make some video lessons for him. I'm still waiting on those strength training tips as well.

To the OP:

The ball is played as it lies. The stroke counts - he would be hitting 2 off the tee. If he moved the ball off the tee, then he would incur a penalty stroke and must replace it - now hitting 3 off the tee. If he doesn't replace the ball on the tee, he incurs a total of 2 penalty strokes (read it as either one more stroke for not replacing, or 2 total for playing from a wrong place) - he'd be lying 4 wherever the ball ended up.

What was the ruling when Kevin Na did it? He took his practice swings, set up to hit the ball and then swung over the top of it, although he intentionally pulled off at the last moment.

Since he pulled back deliberately, there was no intent to strike the ball, therefore there was no stroke. That is how it was ruled.

paging PGG

U could just be like my normal playing partner who lies and says he was practice swinging. And I immediately think "do u always swing that hard, and look that confused after a practice swing"

Back