Who do you think the best current pro is the best example for kids?

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
We all have opinions on whom we like and don't. But also whom we may already root for or against.

But I'm thinking, as my kids age and begin to root for pros, who would be the best role model for them to root for out of the current pros?

None, I don’t want my kids looking to sports figures as role models.

In terms of work ethic and attitude? Probably Rickie Fowler, Jordan Speith from the big names. Maybe someone like semi local guy Austin Cook from the lesser knowns, he sounds like a solid dude.

Call me a pessimist maybe, but it's a dangerous game putting too much of your kids stock in the morality of any professional athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In terms of work ethic and attitude? Probably Rickie Fowler, Jordan Speith from the big names. Maybe someone like semi local guy Austin Cook from the lesser knowns, he sounds like a solid dude.

Call me a pessimist maybe, but it's a dangerous game putting too much of your kids stock in the morality of any professional athlete.

I understand what you're both saying, but I also know, in my kids case, they're going to root for someone, and as they play more and more junior golf, maybe even emulate that golfer on the course.

It's easy to talk to them about the greats of the game, but when it's a tournament say going on next week, with a full field, I'm always curious who they gravitate towards and why.

Sometimes it's style, name, look, even play.

I understand what you're both saying, but I also know, in my kids case, they're going to root for someone, and as they play more and more junior golf, maybe even emulate that golfer on the course.

It's easy to talk to them about the greats of the game, but when it's a tournament say going on next week, with a full field, I'm always curious who they gravitate towards and why.

Sometimes it's style, name, look, even play.

Liking someone’s style is hugely different than looking at them as role models.

Liking someone’s style is hugely different than looking at them as role models.
I understand, but at their ages, 6 and 8, whom they like the look of, may become who they root for, and may become who they emulate.

I heard it quite a few times this year while on the golf course, look dad, I'm just like "Insert Pro Name Here"

In the end they'll choose whomever they want to root for and typically it becomes an american as we root for the US teams in Ryder and President Cups.

Rickie Fowler.

He's classy, cares about his fan's, and isn't a douche.

I'm with Freddie about the role model thing. But in the general spirit of the question my answer is Brooke Henderson. The kids got to interact with her at an event and she was awesome with them. She earned some good karma so the kids can root for her.

Last edited:
If kids are using professional athletes as a role model......it might not be very realistic. But if I were to pick an active professional golfer I’d go with Jordan Spieth.

I've really tried to leave LPGA tournaments on more so my daughter can see women doing great things on a golf course. She's 3, I know she's not into it, I'm just trying to make sure she never views successful female golfers as abnormal. Anyway, having said what I did above, I still want her looking to those ladies (and the guys too) for examples of how to handle themselves at least in competition. (She was right beside me during Lexi's debacle, and I was glad I could show her how a pro handles that type of adversity, for example)

It's still not the same as being a role model, and we're teaching her about finding those real role models around her, but I understand what you're after here. From all indications, Rickie Fowler seems to be all class. Zach Johnson would be another top pick I haven't seen mentioned.

BEEF - he stays healthy with his protein intake and he knows how to have a good time.

Never even considered the question. I don't care what they do off the course, not a fan of throwing stones plus I don't have kids. I would hope I let my kids like who they like and not like who they don't all on their own. Part of growing up

Eh rickie or Jordan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Kuchar seems like a good guy who isn't full of himself and stays out of the headlines outside of golf. Really seems to enjoy the game and does well for himself playing it.

It's weird talking with them tonight while watching the final round, this thread came to mind.

I honestly think they're more front runners lately, whomever is towards the top and they recognize the name and/or person, they begin to root for them. DJ currently!

Rickie is up there. He seems to have his head on straight, and isn’t wound up really tightly. Always has time for the fans it seems like, but not a flawless person. Lots of lessons that can be taught there.

We all have opinions on whom we like and don't. But also whom we may already root for or against.

But I'm thinking, as my kids age and begin to root for pros, who would be the best role model for them to root for out of the current pros?

Brooke Henderson

Jordan Spieth. We followed him at last year’s Sony Open. As he’d walk to the next hole you’d hear fans telling him nice shot or go get em. He’d turn to them and say thank you or I’ll do my best. It was very different than what I expected from a young, successful athlete in the middle of a competition. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy.

Hopefully, kids find their role models at home.

As to golfers to admire, Fowler seems to have his head on straight, I like Spieth for his humanity on the course. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I don't want to see any kids using pro athletes as role models but if I was picking one pro golfer to emulate then it would be Rickie.

Fowler seems to be a very popular vote!

I agree with this completely, but if I had to pick I think right now it would be Tony Finau.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fowler and Speith. There are a lot of players on tour who set good examples and you really could go on and on. In my opinion.

Rickie, Justin, and Jordan

In terms of play, or in terms of likability, or how they carry themselves?

Arnold Palmer was the best. Saw that guy sit around for FOREVER signing autographs, even though he had to be getting close to 80 years old. And he was just a truly nice guy (as far as most of us could tell).

Current pros? Maybe Zach Johnson?

Back