BombTech Golf GRENADE Hybrid Set - THP Review Thread

Going to go hit these a bit today, hopefully later in the week get some Foresight GC2 time with them and compare some #'s to a few similarly lofted hybrids that I have in my possession for grins.

how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got to hit them all a bit before the cold front moved in, no launch monitor yet though. I'll put thoughts up when I get to work and get my student teacher going today! Haha!

Hello there everyone, sorry for the delay, weather and pregnant wife have caused some hiccups, but I now have three really deep collection sessions under my belt.

Visually:

They actually setup really nice to the ball, and the matte/satin finish makes the shape look smaller than it is. Additionally, the contrast to the face (its strange though that it is odd feeling to see a non black metalwood/hybrid face now though) and its satin metal finish is nice as well. The sole is a bit interesting, its not surprising they kept the lines similar with the dual cavities also appearing here, but man on such a small clubhead that lime green is a LOT to handle. Also, they buck the trend of squared-off/square-toe hybird faces and have a much more fairway like curvature/shape to them, with that they are a little more shallow than the trend out there IMO, not bad or good, just something to note.

Feel:

First, the swing weight/balance. I've not put them on my SW scale yet, need to do that tonight, but they are definitely more balanced in the swing than I anticipated when I opened the box to see steel shafts staring back at me. That said, there is some heft here for sure, in hand they feel heavier than my similarly lofted Mizuno/Callaway/Titleist hybrids in the same/similar lofts, but, they are also a touch shorter which is unsurprising given the steel shafts. Second, they sound really really good, and this may come off in a bad way (not intended) but based on the price and shape I anticipated a very hollow sound at impact that would lead to an "empty" feel, what I am getting is the opposite, its a low pitched crack at impact that is nothing but solid.

The next expectation I had was that there would be a lot of harshness on misses, well, that too has been debunked. The sound does get a little more harsh on misses, but there's still stability to it and no real shuddering which could in part be due to the steel shafts, but its worth mentioning.

Performance:

Lots of ways to go with this, so I'll be general this first go round. Yes, these were hit on the Foresight GC2 launch monitor, but rather than spewing to you MY numbers in a review, I went ahead and hit them next to some other hybrids to get a more general revelation of what is being seen by me so far in the review. Compared to graphite shafted counterparts, the BombTech hybrids are launching on average 1.9 degrees lower with the biggest difference seen in the 19* model (2.7*) and the lowest in the 24* (1.2*). Additionally, they are not spinning as much as I anticipated, which could be seen as a good or not-so-good thing depending on the user (lower launch and lower spin could be an issue for certain swing types trying to hit long clubs like these into greens and getting them to hold), the spin is actually just higher than the average of the other hybrids hit against, and by that I mean 57 RPM's on average.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but how do they play, you ask? They're actually quite straight in my experience, but they are also definitely shorter in what I have seen distance wise, about 1 club length for me. Now, that isn't totally a surprise though given the steel shaft, they play closer to iron lengths which will be a good thing for some. They also respond well to an aggressive move and I haven't had any issues hitting them "like an iron" (taking a divot) even with the more shallow profile.

Given the price, I'm surprised at the performance. Its essentially a three for one thing and for golfers on a budget, that will undoubtedly have some appeal.

More soon, should warm back up this Thursday and I plan on dropping some more thoughts in here as I complete my formal review article. If you have any Q's please feel free to ask, I'm here for you all, as always.

great first thoughts James! It may be too early to answer this, but you mentioned low launch/low spin, are these flying similar to the c300 hybrid you reviewed earlier? or is it still too early to tell?

great first thoughts James! It may be too early to answer this, but you mentioned low launch/low spin, are these flying similar to the c300 hybrid you reviewed earlier? or is it still too early to tell?

Not apples to apples with that being a 17* and the lowest here at 19*, but similarly lower. I will say, there is a definite ball speed difference though between the two, though that isn't really a surprise given tech vs tech and steel vs graphite, etc.

Not something I'd be looking at but if they perform decently it'd be a no brainer for someone trying to get a hybrid set on the cheap. Personal preference and a bit nitpicky but that color green is atrocious.

So you're saying I shouldn't bring this setup next time we play?

Screenshot-2018-1-15 Instagram post by Greg Smith • Feb 10, 2016 at 3 47pm UTC.png

*Edit - I've actually updated the bag since then and added 3 more Bombtech wedges and a Bombtech putter

So you're saying I shouldn't bring this setup next time we play?

View attachment 30888

*Edit - I've actually updated the bag since then and added 3 more Bombtech wedges and a Bombtech putter
You'll have switched out bag 2 more times by the time we play again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hello there everyone, sorry for the delay, weather and pregnant wife have caused some hiccups, but I now have three really deep collection sessions under my belt.

Visually:

They actually setup really nice to the ball, and the matte/satin finish makes the shape look smaller than it is. Additionally, the contrast to the face (its strange though that it is odd feeling to see a non black metalwood/hybrid face now though) and its satin metal finish is nice as well. The sole is a bit interesting, its not surprising they kept the lines similar with the dual cavities also appearing here, but man on such a small clubhead that lime green is a LOT to handle. Also, they buck the trend of squared-off/square-toe hybird faces and have a much more fairway like curvature/shape to them, with that they are a little more shallow than the trend out there IMO, not bad or good, just something to note.

Feel:

First, the swing weight/balance. I've not put them on my SW scale yet, need to do that tonight, but they are definitely more balanced in the swing than I anticipated when I opened the box to see steel shafts staring back at me. That said, there is some heft here for sure, in hand they feel heavier than my similarly lofted Mizuno/Callaway/Titleist hybrids in the same/similar lofts, but, they are also a touch shorter which is unsurprising given the steel shafts. Second, they sound really really good, and this may come off in a bad way (not intended) but based on the price and shape I anticipated a very hollow sound at impact that would lead to an "empty" feel, what I am getting is the opposite, its a low pitched crack at impact that is nothing but solid.

The next expectation I had was that there would be a lot of harshness on misses, well, that too has been debunked. The sound does get a little more harsh on misses, but there's still stability to it and no real shuddering which could in part be due to the steel shafts, but its worth mentioning.

Performance:

Lots of ways to go with this, so I'll be general this first go round. Yes, these were hit on the Foresight GC2 launch monitor, but rather than spewing to you MY numbers in a review, I went ahead and hit them next to some other hybrids to get a more general revelation of what is being seen by me so far in the review. Compared to graphite shafted counterparts, the BombTech hybrids are launching on average 1.9 degrees lower with the biggest difference seen in the 19* model (2.7*) and the lowest in the 24* (1.2*). Additionally, they are not spinning as much as I anticipated, which could be seen as a good or not-so-good thing depending on the user (lower launch and lower spin could be an issue for certain swing types trying to hit long clubs like these into greens and getting them to hold), the spin is actually just higher than the average of the other hybrids hit against, and by that I mean 57 RPM's on average.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but how do they play, you ask? They're actually quite straight in my experience, but they are also definitely shorter in what I have seen distance wise, about 1 club length for me. Now, that isn't totally a surprise though given the steel shaft, they play closer to iron lengths which will be a good thing for some. They also respond well to an aggressive move and I haven't had any issues hitting them "like an iron" (taking a divot) even with the more shallow profile.

Given the price, I'm surprised at the performance. Its essentially a three for one thing and for golfers on a budget, that will undoubtedly have some appeal.

More soon, should warm back up this Thursday and I plan on dropping some more thoughts in here as I complete my formal review article. If you have any Q's please feel free to ask, I'm here for you all, as always.

Evening bump.

Good write up Jman. Looks like a solid option, that’s good to see. Options are good.

Evening bump.
So it seems you are attributing the shorter distance to steel as well as a shorter shaft. Do you think that these are set up to blend with their irons seamlessly (I know how you hate seams), as opposed to trying to make a launcher of a hybrid?

Really interesting read there James!

I have always been someone who struggled with hybrids, not knowing what lofts I should be using, and usually grabbing just one, and hoping it gaps into my set properly.

The more I think about it, I kind of want to take the plunge on these. Grab the set of 3, and give myself the opportunity to mess around and see what/which find a spot in my bag.

So it seems you are attributing the shorter distance to steel as well as a shorter shaft. Do you think that these are set up to blend with their irons seamlessly (I know how you hate seams), as opposed to trying to make a launcher of a hybrid?

I'm not sure to be honest, without hitting those, its hard to say. I'm sure price point has something to do with the decision to go steel though, pure speculation right now, but I'd assume (dangerous, I know) that theyre the same shafts that are in the irons.

That said, they are way more solid than I anticipated, both in sound/feel and in what I have seen so far.

Great review. They are not for me, but I can see why people would be attracted to them. And I am all for budget new clubs for guys looking to get bang for your buck. Sure there are used clubs in their price range that would be considered better, but sometimes people want new and outside the box. So at 49 bucks a club....why not?

Visually:

Feel:

Performance:

Awesome review! Boom

Very good write up. I wonder what these could do with an IRod.

Great review. I enjoyed the read as always. I really didn’t know what to expect when I started reading the review, but you did a great job describing what you saw and felt and etc.

Very good write up. I wonder what these could do with an IRod.
Me too, heck the new proforce v2 hybrids are like 30 bucks each, it would be interesting to have that option. That said, if they fit your gaps and go straight, what else can most people ask from a hybrid?

Me too, heck the new proforce v2 hybrids are like 30 bucks each, it would be interesting to have that option. That said, if they fit your gaps and go straight, what else can most people ask from a hybrid?

Not playing fairway woods I like my hybrids to have good distance and fly high. More of a fw replacement and not an iron replacement.

Those look VERY clean from the top.

I really appreciate everyone not only reading and chiming in, but remaining open minded and civil. I mean that.

I hope to get otu to wrap some things up this weekend so I can write the homepage article in its entirety.

Are these going to be the longest out there? No, I don't believe so, but they are for the price proving to be extremely playable and that is a worthwhile note. I will admit that I have considered post review reshafting them to graphite and seeing what happens, but I think perhaps another contest could be equally fun.

These seem like a great option for the golfer on a budget! I have a friend who is going to be pulling the trigger on these because of this thread.

I really appreciate everyone not only reading and chiming in, but remaining open minded and civil. I mean that.

I hope to get otu to wrap some things up this weekend so I can write the homepage article in its entirety.

Are these going to be the longest out there? No, I don't believe so, but they are for the price proving to be extremely playable and that is a worthwhile note. I will admit that I have considered post review reshafting them to graphite and seeing what happens, but I think perhaps another contest could be equally fun.

Maybe too civil?!

Just be aware, the heads are lighter specifically to accommodate steel shafts. If you went graphite you would need to go longer or add weight to keep swing weight the same.

the reviews on these are even better than we expected!

Here is the updated link to the hybrids

https://www.bombtechgolf.com/brand-new-bombtech-golf-hybrid-set/

Question for you since you posted this link. Directly there it says “material advantage” but then you never mention the materials. Material advantage over your other clubs? Over clubs using composite crowns? Can you explain the materials advantage?

Question for you since you posted this link. Directly there it says “material advantage” but then you never mention the materials. Material advantage over your other clubs? Over clubs using composite crowns? Can you explain the materials advantage?
As I button up this review I had that same question. The performance for price has been very really, and impressive. Not earth shattering but they're not trying to be based on my initial assumptions, but then the thing about material advantage sticks out to me.

As I button up this review I had that same question. The performance for price has been very really, and impressive. Not earth shattering but they're not trying to be based on my initial assumptions, but then the thing about material advantage sticks out to me.

I remember Tour Edge last year pushing the material advantage line, but they were pretty upfront about the material. These sound like pretty good bang for your buck hybrids.

Back