BombTech Golf GRENADE Hybrid Set - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In to the Oklahoma outpost of THP is what could be a very interesting review, the BombTech GRENADE hybrid set.

Most out there have hear of, or read about, BombTech in some way, shape, or form and most also have their initial opinions. BombTech came onto the scene with a bit of a brash attitude, a disruption attitude if you will, that they could produce golf equipment that offered good performance at a much lower, and direct to the consumer, price. While THP was not able to review the first version of the GRENADE driver that caused quite a bit of chatter, staff writer Dean DeCrecenzo (ddec) did get to spend time with the latest iteration and that review can be found here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/bombtech-grenade-2-driver-review/

This hybrid set is a three club setup, 19°, 21°, and 24° which are paired with steel shafts and have a price of $147.00.

As is ALWAYS the case, THP will be putting the clubs through their paces on the range, on the course, and with the Foresight GC2 Launch Monitor as well. This thread will serve as the cumulative feedback location as the review is ongoing prior to the formal article being posted on the homepage. If you have any questions, feel free to jump in because the more discussion, the more fun the thread.

Bombtech on the GRENADE Hybrid Set:

Here's the deal...
You get 3 premium quality hybrids for less than the price of 1, backed by a 60 day guarantee. How? We only sell online. No retail and no pros means you get more for your money.

So What Do You Get??
You get a 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 5 hybrid:
- 3 hybrid loft: 19°
- 4 hybrid loft: 21°
- 5 hybrid loft: 24°

The Benefits of the Dual Cavity Design
More weight positioned behind the sweet spot
Cavities increase accuracy on off center hits.
Reduction in drag leads to higher club head speeds

Material and Production Advantage
The head is vacuum heat treated to allow for a thinner yet durable face that creates higher ball speeds and better feel. Results are extremely high smash factors on pure strikes as well as mis-hits. Designed for all golfers to enjoy, from off the deck to the tee. More weight was distributed to the sole of the club to make hitting out of the rough and poor lies easier.

Grenade Club Head Specs
Hosel Depth: 34mm
Weight: 232 grams
Loft: 19, 21, 24 Degrees
Face Angle: 0.5*
Size: 140cc
Lie: 57*

Hybrid Lengths:
- 3 Hybrid: 40 inches
- 4 Hybrid: 39.5 inches
- 5 Hybrid: 39 inches

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0071-XL.jpg

DSC_0072-XL.jpg

DSC_0073-XL.jpg

DSC_0074-XL.jpg

DSC_0079-XL.jpg

DSC_0080-XL.jpg

DSC_0081-XL.jpg

19°:
DSC_0077-XL.jpg

21°:
DSC_0076-XL.jpg

24°:
DSC_0075-XL.jpg

Solid pricepoint and deal for these looking forward to yout thoughts james

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pics make them look decent because the ones on their website make them look....well cheap. I am very curious to your thoughts on them after spending time with the driver.

I love the package and price point. I'm not sure about steel shafts though.

It is a good looking shape.

• Staff
Your pics make them look decent because the ones on their website make them look....well cheap. I am very curious to your thoughts on them after spending time with the driver.

Yeah, when I saw the pics on their site they looked HORRIBLE. In hand, not so much, similar footprint to the old Jetspeed hybrids, little larger overall but still a quasi shallow face.

It'll be interesting, I literally have nooooooooooooooooooooo info on what the shafts are. But, initial thought is it means they will play much more in line with iron lengths and not hybrid lengths, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It is a good looking shape.

I thought so too, kind of surprising.

Curious if the camera angle was a bit tilted, or if the face appears to be noticeable closed?

Rest of the shape of it looks really good though. Just a nice, compact looking hybrid

for someone who wants new clubs on a budget, the could be an interesting option, but I wonder if they are better than say a two years old Callaway or Taylormade hybrid

Very interested to see the review. It would be interesting to see a steel/graphite hybrid comp. An older guy I run into at the course swears by iron shafts in his hybrids. He says he's way more accurate with iron vs graphite.

Looks very similar to the profile of my Exotics Xrail / Trilogies. intrigued.

Curious if the camera angle was a bit tilted, or if the face appears to be noticeable closed?

Rest of the shape of it looks really good though. Just a nice, compact looking hybrid
A good way to check that in pics is always the topline, if its straight in the frame, then it isn't the angle :alien:

I'll say though, the silver face plays tricks on the eye, if they're closed, it's not by much.

A good way to check that in pics is always the topline, if its straight in the frame, then it isn't the angle :alien:

I'll say though, the silver face plays tricks on the eye, if they're closed, it's not by much.

Oh man that helped quite a bit. I was using my phone and had it angled a bit when looking at the photo on top of it, I swear it looked 4 or 5 degrees closed at first. On a PC, yeah it doesn't look more than a degree. These kinda remind me of some of the old Nike hybrids they came out with the more I look at the shape

Oh man that helped quite a bit. I was using my phone and had it angled a bit when looking at the photo on top of it, I swear it looked 4 or 5 degrees closed at first. On a PC, yeah it doesn't look more than a degree. These kinda remind me of some of the old Nike hybrids they came out with the more I look at the shape
I just love giving you grief buddy. Haha

I just love giving you grief buddy. Haha

Well sadly my first thought when I thought they were super closed was, "well that won't break the stigma that hybrids are hook magnets."

Don't look too bad, I would say they look like older clubs at the sole, but at address I think I would like that shape. Steel shafts will be interesting, for me I think I might like that in the 5H, but for the longer ones unless they are super light I don't think I could elevate those clubs.

Will be interested to see your thoughts on these!

Thanks all, will have a "getting to know you" session tomorrow.

In a slight bummer, no headcovers were received.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes...I think I'm intrigued by the same things everyone else is.

They look a lot like my D200s from the top, but those huge lime green cavities on the bottom are hideous & cheap looking.

They are a decent looking shape, though the bottom just looks odd to me. Nice pics of them. Look forward to your thoughts on these!

That is a very solid price point if they’re a decent quality set. They own their color scheme for sure, but they don’t look bad at all. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Jman.

The steel shafts are interesting, as you very rarely see them in hybrids anymore. I actually had some steel shafted hybrids (still do, in the closet actually) and when I got my first graphite shafted hybrid, my ballflight and distance were noticeably better and longer. Curious to see how these will match up against other current hybrids.

really happy to see a bombtech review come to fruition.

these aren’t on my radar, but if they perform they’re a fantastic option at that price.

not a fan of that sole at all. but it’s not something you see at address so not a deal breaker.

really happy to see a bombtech review come to fruition.

these aren’t on my radar, but if they perform they’re a fantastic option at that price.

not a fan of that sole at all. but it’s not something you see at address so not a deal breaker.

Not our first FWIW, as mentioned in the OP ddec reviewed one of the drivers this year as well.

I agree on the price, if they're even Remotely decent, then that is a heck of a price point.

BombTech Golf GRENADE Hybrid Set - THP Review Thread

Really nice camera work, those pictures are great.

Last edited:
Really intrigued to see how they perform.

Based on looks, I would assume they might come up a bit short (just on my own assumptions).

As someone who is looking to get some hybrids back into his bag though....... that price point is really good.

Back