Practice vs Play, Which Do You Do More?

I enjoy playing more than practicing. If I practice, it's maybe 30 minutes hitting balls, 15-30 chipping and 15-30 putting. I'm not a range rat.

Ah I really hate practicing....but I think I should do more of it. Would much rather play a round than spend an hour or two at a range or putting green.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Play. If I can get to the course I'm posting a round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Play. If I can get to the course I'm posting a round

This is pretty much my thought too. I may try to spend more time on my short game this year, but I'm still going to play whenever I possibly can.

I practice more than play. I enjoy practice anyway and most of the guys I prefer to play with still work during the week. I still get in a lot of play too but usually practice more often.

I play almost exclusively. Even when I go to the range I don’t think you could call what I do practice. I’m just there out of boredom or because I don’t have time for a round.

Depends on the time of year. Winter, definitely practice. Summer, half and half. Fall, I play probably 75/25.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Practice. I would love to play more but it’s hard to get out between work and family.

I hate practice so I inevitably spend more time playing instead.

I almost never practice nowadays. I’d probably say it’s 95% rounds and 5% range time.

probably 50/50 but I get to play a lot so that's ok

Play mostly. Time for practice is limited with a little one.

Play, unless you count the warm-up bucket as practice. Don't even need practice anymore. Used to play golf swing, now it's just golf. Loving it.

No question it is play more. I can count the number of times i have been to the range over the last two years on one hand, and that includes any pre-round warm-up. Of course, I play 5 days/week, weather permitting, year 'round.

I don't practice at all. I know I will never be great. I know that my time is limited. So therefore, I only play. I don't hit shots before a round, I don't hit the putting green before a round. I just show up and play.

I enjoy the range, and for my first few years of golfing I went to the range 10-20 times for every round I played.

My goal for last year was to play more. I ended up hitting the range and playing about the same number of times, which unfortunately wasn't very often.

So my goal is still to play more and hopefully that will begin to take place here soon if the weather cooperates.

Considering I don't have a lot of time to do either, I usually play more often than not. Also depending on the time of the year. If it's in the middle of the summer when the days are longer, I can practice every day on the way home from work.

For the first few weeks in the spring, I often practice a couple hours 3-5 times a week and only play twice a week. After a couple weeks of that I've found my swing and my flexibility and I often just hit balls for 15 minutes before a round. I do practice putting at least a few hours each week but a lot of that is in my man cave. During the season the only time I get into sessions where I hit 200+ balls is when I've had a few consecutive rounds missing a lot of greens and need to figure something out.

This summer I'll be retired so I plan on playing 3-5 days each week and practicing my short shots inside of 40 yards at least a few hours each week until I'm satisfied with my performance. Starting out it may be more like 10+ hours each week. 2-3 hour sessions of short game practice are therapeutic to me. I really haven't had enough time to devote to those all-important greenside chip, pitches, and bunker shots and as a result, it's been a weakness in my game for 25 years.

I practice more times in a week than I play, but I spend more time playing than I practice. For the next few months I plan to hit the range twice a week and the short game area once a week, but will be mostly one round per week (have a few weeks were I will get 2-3 rounds in) but my practice sessions are usually in the 60-100 minute range, while rounds of golf are usually in the 4.5 hour range.

Well, over the last 6 months I've practiced a LOT more than I've played. Having (basically) unlimited access to a friends indoor simulator that uses the newest Trackman and E6 software is the biggest reason to this.

Play...limited time to be at the course so I play.

I play 3 days a week and feel this is sufficient. Hitting balls on the range as practice is not what I do. Range balls are junk, you hit balls at too fast a pace between shots and I don't like to hit good shots on the range because I feel that's a wasted good shot. Been playing for 52 years and playing 3 days during a week works just fine.

I really don't practice, just hit some balls before playing to warm up. My arthritis limits my time on the course, so I'd rather spend that time playing rather than practice.

I like them both equally..range time for me is completely therapeutic. Playing a round gets my competitive juices flowing.

In the spring I practice more than I play. But summer/ fall I play more than I practice.

Back