Practice vs Play, Which Do You Do More?

Play, play is the best practice hands down. And I know guys who have ranged themselves to death only to struggle on the course, to me you have to range the perfect amount of time as well as do it properly- slow and specific.

That being said I do range a lot, especially to work on a club/shot I'm struggling with when I play.

I would say for every round I play I range about 30 minutes.

I practice a lot more than I play. It always comes down to time and availability. One of my goals is to change that this year...

I'm going to take more lessons this year. So, I will have to practice more in order to groove what my instructor wants me to correct!

If "more" means the number of times, then practice. If it means, time devoted to it, then it is about even. Generally, I practice 3 times a week for an average of 90 minutes per session and play a round, and practice on course about 9 holes (which to my way of thinking straddles the line). This has really worked for me over the years and I enjoy practicing as much as playing.

Even before my wife and I had twins I played more than practiced. I think that was due to my course not having a range. But now with two toddlers....it’s definitely more play than practice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A round is 4 hrs, and I average 1.5 rounds per week, so they are about equal in time between play and practice. But I'm going through a swing change and will spend more time on the range.

I likely hit more practice shots but spend more time on the course. If one were to practice 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week, it wouldn't add up to one average round.

At the moment, it is definitely more practice than play due to the weather as my course has been closed quite a bit

So I tend to hit the range twice a week at the moment, but once the weather allows more time on the course then I will definitely play more than practice. Although I will still try to get to the range to work on things that my instructor has got me working on

I find The more I practice the Better I play So I have made a concerted effort to Practice at least 1 or 2 times a week. Mostly chipping and Putting.

Plus it saves me money in the long run and I enjoy when I get out more since I am more consistent.

I tend to practice more often, but when I pay it takes up more time. So time-wise it's about even, but I definitely swing at more golf balls practicing than I ever will on the course.

Definitely play. I try to get in a good amount of practice when I can (usually 1-1.5 hour weekends before I tee off) but I feel like I learn better when I'm on the course. It doesn't help that my club has mats instead of grass for the range. I would probably practice more if I had that option.

Before I started my new job, I was practicing more than playing. Now that I only have time to play once or twice a week, I've limited my practice time to maybe one range session a week, plus my regular golf lesson.

Play. I don't have time to practice and I am finding that the less I play the less desire I have to go to the range or practice my short game. I wouldn't invest much of my time practicing unless I started taking lessons again because I feel like I would be ingraining bad habits at this point.

Back