Distance or accuracy?

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've run into a bit of a tough spot regarding driver in my bag: M1 430 10.5 or XR 9*. M1 is straighter but XR is longer. Both play at 45", same grip, and within 3g head weight. Both have 70g shafts. Question is whether to you would play short hitting driver and take at least one to two clubs longer into a green but play from the fairway or take longer hitting driver but play from rough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always keep both and put in the longer for courses that are wide open and vice versa for the shorter but straighter driver. Best of both worlds!

I would figure out how to hit the xr and play longer in the fairway.

Both ! ... if I can't make it happen, I compromise with less distance for accuracy.

Gotta go with accuracy all day. Long and in trouble, is still in trouble. Unless you're driving the ball 150 yds with one and 250 with the other, that might be different....

Distance. You can work on getting accurate with a club.

So I've run into a bit of a tough spot regarding driver in my bag: M1 430 10.5 or XR 9*. M1 is straighter but XR is longer. Both play at 45", same grip, and within 3g head weight. Both have 70g shafts. Question is whether to you would play short hitting driver and take at least one to two clubs longer into a green but play from the fairway or take longer hitting driver but play from rough?

Personally I am shocked to hear this -- I would have bet decent money that M1 was longer and XR was straighter.

I say game what hits fairways.

The XR is 20 yards further for you than the M1?

Maybe swap adaptors and see if it still holds true? Or you may get the accuracy from the shafts and distance from the head resulting in both ?

Maybe swap adaptors and see if it still holds true? Or you may get the accuracy from the shafts and distance from the head resulting in both ?

You mean put the Fuji pro in XR?

Distance or accuracy?

Were you fit for both? Same shafts in both?

No and no. Fuji pro 70x in M1 and Diamana D+70s in XR

No and no. Fuji pro 70x is M1 and Diamana D+70s

Kinda sounds like that shaft and M1 combo might be bad for you

Distance. You can work on getting accurate with a club.

I still would argue that even distance can be worked on. I'd rather be always on target than slightly longer and off target.

Kinda sounds like that shaft and M1 combo might be bad for you

I tried the fuji pro in the M1 today and absolutely hated it. I couldn't get comfortable with it all. I had much better results with other shafts, according to GC2 the ball speeds with the D+ in there were 20+ mph higher.

I go with accuracy. I play a lot of rounds with my brother in law who can out drive me on about any driver hole, but he misses a lot of fairway's and rarely beats me score wise. Accuracy trumps distance.

I would take the accuracy all day buy maybe that's because I'm more accurate than long yo begin with. I think if I could pick IP a legitimate 10 to 15 yards I would sacrifice a bit of accuracy since my long iron shots are weak and it would put me in a better spot.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Accuracy would be the best for me, the fairway is much easier to hit out of than rough or the woods

They shouldn't and don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Yep. Verified today on course

If I had a new $500 driver with all those adjustments I'd be twisting that wrench to find the right fit. 20 yards is crazy? Something is off? Were you professionally fit into XR and not M1? I need more distance being a shorter hitter so I'd take distance all day and find a way to tame it to be more accurate. We all swing differently and XR was decent distance-wise for me but several options were a little longer. A massive 20 yard difference sounds like you might be one with unique swing nuances that make XR your personal unicorn? That's awesome.

They shouldn't and don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Were you replying to me or someone else's post?

Were you replying to me or someone else's post?

All of it. It's a general thought.

If I had a new $500 driver with all those adjustments I'd be twisting that wrench to find the right fit. 20 yards is crazy? Something is off? Were you professionally fit into XR and not M1? I need more distance being a shorter hitter so I'd take distance all day and find a way to tame it to be more accurate. We all swing differently and XR was decent distance-wise for me but several options were a little longer. A massive 20 yard difference sounds like you might be one with unique swing nuances that make XR your personal unicorn? That's awesome.

Well my XR is hot melted to play heavier so it's a little different than stock settings. Also I purposely left out carry numbers because I didn't want people to think it was a thread about numbers. I've always said I wanted carry over total distance because then I could control how I play. The M1 gives me that but at the yardage I'm getting with it, it has me questioning whether it's really what I want off the tee.

20 yards is a huge difference so something must be off with the M1 fit. I'm sure there is a shaft/flex out there that would make up most of that 20 yard difference. I have quite a collection of driver and there isn't more than 5 yards difference between them in distance.

Back