Practice vs Play, Which Do You Do More?

TSauer

Reaction score
As the 2018 season approaches, I'm getting more and more anxious to play. However, I told myself last year that I will dedicate a fair amount of time to practice this season.

Do you find yourself playing more than your practice or vice versa?

In past years, practice > play. Planning to change it up this year, play > practice.

Play...by alot

Play significantly, and that is an understatement, more than practice.

Play. I practice enough to stretch the fat (warm up) then off to the 1st tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more than I practice for sure

I play waaay more and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In past years, practice > play. Planning to change it up this year, play > practice.

In the same boat here. Even though I played a lot, I still practiced a lot too. I tell myself I'm going to practice, but I know it won't be the case.

Lot more play than practice.

Due to time constraints, I practice a lot more than I play.

Play 95% of the time. Would like to practice more but seem to can never find the time.

Practice at about a 60/40 clip. I am able to devote an hour or so every night to practice but can't quite squeeze a full 9 in.

Play. By a lot. Usually hit a bag of balls for warm up, but very rarely hit the range for a practice session.

I’m close to 50/50

Sent from HTX

Right now I have a lot more opportunity to practice than play.

During this time practice. Come April and the tables will turn

Play way way more. Like waaaay more. There isn't a decent grass range near me and hitting more than 100 balls off a crappy mat 3-5 times a week quickly starts to take a toll on my elbow. When playing alone since the score can't be turned in so I do try and practice on course especially inside 100 yards. I guarantee you my game suffers from this though. If I ever make a true commitment I have a feeling there are still several strokes a round I could improve.

From Nov to Mar/April, it's practice more but after the weather breaks, I play way more. Right now I am playing maybe once a week with 2-3 range sessions, drills at home and time on the short game. From about April 1 to end of Nov, I'll play 3-4 times a week with a small bucket thrown in and some time chipping/putting before the round.

I have always practiced way way more than play. My thought process is I can hit either 70 to 90 shots in a 3.5 hour round or I can hit 300 shots in half that time. I hit 4 large buckets this week in temps below 40 and wind chill well below 40. I wonder why my elbows are killing me :)
Love to play but a range rat at heart! Now I just have to remind myself to work at something and not just beat balls. But of course the same holds true on the course. I find if I don't concentrate during play and work on making every shot a quality shot I finish thinking it was an opportunity lost to improve. A good round for me is really being in the right focus for about 75% of it. Rarely I have one of those rounds I am in the zone and too often I have rounds thinking how pretty it is outside and talking to my friends about life and thinking...wow, that is a pretty bird.
Practice is too often more focused than my play :-(

Play, Play, Play

I play more than I practice

unfortinately its play and not because i play a ton. Just mostly because i dont have much time to play at all and i would rather spend it on the course than at a range

Play definitely. Usually if I have time to practice then I have time to play and I would rather do that.

I play far more than I practice. That said, most of my 'playing' is casual, and so I sort of use it to practice, if that makes any sense.

~Rock

Easily play. My golf time is limited these days and if I get some time for it I'm going to play.

Back