Driving irons vs hybrids

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How many carry long irons instead of hybrids? Or maybe in addition to? I'm carrying a whole new setup this year, going to try carrying both. Just curious as to what everyone else is bagging.

For a long time I carried a utility 2 iron in my bag. I swapped to. 2 hybrid towards the end of 2017 and have enjoyed the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Used to go as low as a 4 iron.

Now will be 5 or 6 iron with a hybo or 2 and a heavenwood mixed in. Don't care for utility irons

Pretty much what Mikedean said.

My 19* hybrid is more versatile than my 21* "driving iron" but it really depends on ones swing.

No hybrids for me, still have the 4 iron in the bag but isn't used much

I have a 2H, 3H and a MP-18 Fli Hi 4i. I know the Fli Hi isn't labeled as a utility iron, but it's definitely falls in between traditional long irons and hybrids. Either way, I'm enjoying my setup and I have a lot of confidence in all of these clubs!

I go 5w to 5i. Leaves me a big gap, but I’m very rarely trying to hit a green at that distance.

Driving irons vs hybrids

right now i have a 4i. it’s more of a fun experiment than something i expect to game long term. i’m a hybrid guy. the thought of driving irons does nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hybrids for me, still have the 4 iron in the bag but isn't used much
I will have to force myself to use mine just to stay in practice with them. My home course is pretty short (57**), so unless I make myself or visit other courses, they'll rust in my bag.

I bag a 4i right now over a 4h, because I just cannot hit hybrids consistently. They tend to be hook machines for me, regardless of the brand/model. So I use the 4i for tee shots and punch shots when I'm stuck in the trees (which is a lot).

My Grandaddy bag has 3/4/5 irons in it...as I've not had success with hybrids in the past.

I still game a 4 iron and tee off with it quite often when the driver is misbehaving (read: almost always). I have considered replacing my 3 hybrid with a UT iron for the same purpose.

7 iron is my longest iron I normally game.

I currently game up to a 5 iron, then have a 4 hybrid and then a 2 iron!
Find the 4 hybrid very useful on 200 yard carries, the 2 iron is amazing off the tee into and downwind.

I've got a TM 19° hybrid, Callaway 22° UT utility and Hogan 26° Ft. Worth Hi utility. Love them all but am especially enamored with the Hogan Ft. Worth Hi. Just got it a few month ago and it has the look and feel of a players iron, with the performance and trajectory of a utility.

I prefer long irons or utility/driving irons. I have a 3h that is currently sitting in the "surplus club" bag.

I have and play both at times. I have a cobra f7 18* 3 iron with 105 gram graphite shaft and a stock f7 3 hybrid. The iron has a lower trajectory and my miss with it is a fade, the hybrid has a much higher trajectory and my miss is a hook. The iron has a little roll out but I can hold a green on a good swing, the hybrid has even less. Distances are similar when hit well. I've only played a couple rounds with the hybrid so far and haven't decided which one is better for my game at this point.

I have a couple of Hybrids in my bag now 2017 M2 3 Hybrid (new in Sept. 2017) and a 2016 M1 5 Hybrid. I really like the 5 hybrid, long and straight. The M2 3 hybrid and I need to have an intervention in early 2018 or it will go to the closet. I was finding that it was over-drawing/hooking about 80% of the time. I don't know if it was my shoulder causing the problem but will give it another chance. Since I got recoils in my new irons I would like to try out the 4 iron again and see where it lines up as far as distance.

all irons except driver, can't hit woods or hybrids, hooks too much

Currently gaming two long irons (I really only need 1) and no hybrids

Mine goes up to 4i, but I'm not very good with it off the deck. Unfortunately, I've been even worse in the past with hybrids. I am considering giving them another look this year.

I also have an actual driving iron in my bag. Haven't used one in years, but it's still there nonetheless.

Ditched my hybrid and use my 2iron for short part 4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The longest iron I bag is my 5 iron, but every now and then my partner lets me use his 4 iron to avoid low hanging tree limbs

Back