UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

I had a set of TourStage irons w. Recoil 110's in stiff and that rig was the nicest feeling....BUT.....i had lots of trouble flighting the ball down. I really dont think it was the iron heads. Perhaps this is why you dont see them on tour much if at all (not that I am equating myself w. a tour player). I even had the irons bent 2 strong because the rig felt so sweet and that still didnt do the trick. It wasnt that the flight was super high on stock shots...it was when I wanted to flight the ball down that these Recoils gave me fits..i had to make huge adjustments compared any other shafts i;ve hit and couldnt reliably flight the ball like I wanted to....they just wanted to go high. I have lots of experiences w. Project X flighted and didnt have this problem and my current 2 sets of irons are fitted with s300SL's w. pro soft inserts and Graphic Design GAT95, both of which I have good control of the flight over. The prosoft inserts cured some chronic wrist tendinitis I was enduring so served the purpose of graphite on the cheap.

Thanks to an awesome, dual-colored bear-like THPer, I will be throwing a set of f4 110s in my Srixon 545 irons. Was looking for something a little lighter than my KBS Tour shafts that would provide my left wrist with some relief.

Thanks to an awesome, dual-colored bear-like THPer, I will be throwing a set of f4 110s in my Srixon 545 irons. Was looking for something a little lighter than my KBS Tour shafts that would provide my left wrist with some relief.

I was just looking into doing something like this when I get my 545's. Have never had graphite shaft in irons but think they could really help... Ill be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the combo.

I was just looking into doing something like this when I get my 545's. Have never had graphite shaft in irons but think they could really help... Ill be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the combo.

They have certainly kept my upper arm arthritis at bay since I got them 10 months ago. The ailment kept me sidelined about half of last year and the only time I have experienced a flare up since getting them was the 9 holes I played with steel shafted irons a few months ago.

OK Recoil users, I did the online fit and it put in 110 Proto. Now I know this is very subjective, but what is the main difference between the reg. 110 and the proto? Would a hack really notice it?

I will be trying the 110 (standard) on Sat and doubt they will have the proto in the fitting cart. Just need some thoughts, big price difference for sure.

OK Recoil users, I did the online fit and it put in 110 Proto. Now I know this is very subjective, but what is the main difference between the reg. 110 and the proto? Would a hack really notice it?

I will be trying the 110 (standard) on Sat and doubt they will have the proto in the fitting cart. Just need some thoughts, big price difference for sure.

Lower torque in the protos will play a big part in your experience, as they are bound to present themselves as being more 'stable' through the swing. They also suggest a slightly lower launch compared to the standard 110 shaft.

Thanks for the reply, I just searched it and found some older threads about the question but still would like fresh insight. So coming from Aerotechs in i95 reg would I be shocked with the 110 standard in Stiff? I have no trouble launching the steelfibers and really like them but I am sitting in the hotel room in Chile waiting to go home and the mind is working overtime waiting for the fitting.....excited is good

Thanks for the reply, I just searched it and found some older threads about the question but still would like fresh insight. So coming from Aerotechs in i95 reg would I be shocked with the 110 standard in Stiff? I have no trouble launching the steelfibers and really like them but I am sitting in the hotel room in Chile waiting to go home and the mind is working overtime waiting for the fitting.....excited is good

Steelfibers are a unique beast, and almost always seem to play stiffer than flex. I'm not really sure whether an apples to apples comparison would be all that functional in this design.

Either way, I think you're looking at a fairly notable change going from 95's to 110's - Shaft profile not considered.

I am curious if anyone could answer me this....which Recoil would feel/play most similar to the KBS CTaper Lite Reg? Horrible tendinitis has me looking to demo and I am looking for a starting point. I am not opposed to something in the 110-155 g weight, but also don't want something stiff as a board. Thanks!

Steelfibers are a unique beast, and almost always seem to play stiffer than flex. I'm not really sure whether an apples to apples comparison would be all that functional in this design.

Either way, I think you're looking at a fairly notable change going from 95's to 110's - Shaft profile not considered.

The reason I am considering the 110 is because that is what is offered in stiff from Callaway. I will ask if that is fact or not, but by the website it is. I have hit the 95 in the past and ended up going with the steelfibers, which I may just do again if the numbers show they are better for me.

I am curious if anyone could answer me this....which Recoil would feel/play most similar to the KBS CTaper Lite Reg? Horrible tendinitis has me looking to demo and I am looking for a starting point. I am not opposed to something in the 110-155 g weight, but also don't want something stiff as a board. Thanks!

Probably the 110s in either f3 (regular) or f4 (stiff).

The reason I am considering the 110 is because that is what is offered in stiff from Callaway. I will ask if that is fact or not, but by the website it is. I have hit the 95 in the past and ended up going with the steelfibers, which I may just do again if the numbers show they are better for me.

I hope you share your results!!

Sure will, I am going to stop by and talk to the only source for the F15 in the Orlando area (that I can find) on the way from the airport tomorrow just because I have to or I will always be curious of what could have been.

But I will do a mini review of the PGA SS Clubfitting late Sat.

097e58034871610d0d03d62bc7261ca6.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Recoil 110 / Z545 combo.

110 is in the 4 iron. 125 in everything else!

Gotcha. Thought you were getting 110 across the board. Based on my experiences with prior aches and pains before Recoil, I think the change will really help you in that regard.

Edit: I see the 125's now.

Gotcha. Thought you were getting 110 across the board. Based on my experiences with prior aches and pains before Recoil, I think the change will really help you in that regard.

Edit: I see the 125's now.
I thought so too, but this is what panda sent me. So I found a shop that had them and I tried them in a similar head and liked them. Like the idea of a lighter shaft in my 4 iron, similar to what I did with my old utility iron

I thought so too, but this is what panda sent me. So I found a shop that had them and I tried them in a similar head and liked them. Like the idea of a lighter shaft in my 4 iron, similar to what I did with my old utility iron

Thats not a bad idea at all. I would like to see UST make a recoil set similar in weight to the DG AMT shafts. And I agree, those do look good.

I found the recoil 110 to be quite a bit longer for me than the i95 Aerotechs, using the same fitting head (cf16 or apex pro) back to back the 110 was longer and better dispersion than the i95. Now I had maybe my worst swing of the year during the fitting, but it showed me on my bad days these are definitely better for my game. It will be interesting to see how they play off grass as opposed to the fitting mat, which I have never liked to hit off in any fitting with any club.

I have had the Proto 110s in some Apex for most of the last two seasons. Strongly considering having them reshafted with Proto 95s or regular 110s. Want a little more launch, and a little more spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Shane has me eager to get my CF16's with recoil 110's in them. Hopefully this weekend!

With 2 rounds and range time in I love the recoils. No ballooning and the feel is great. I LOVE them

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

With 2 rounds and range time in I love the recoils. No ballooning and the feel is great. I LOVE them

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Told you

Back