What would make you stop buying new drivers?

russtopher

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Band
Every release makes a lot of claims, and we all know that the best bet is to just try out a new driver against your gamer to see if there's any real gains.

But is there a point where you are so happy with your current gamer that you don't go looking?

The driver is an interesting club, because with everything else you're pretty much looking at specific yardages. With driver, you sort of want to just bomb it out there as far as you can, and (hopefully) straight. Do you think you'd ever get to a point with a certain driver where you would say "yeah, this just flat out works for me and I'm 100% happy with distance and flight"?

For me, I'd need to be able to poke it out there around 250 and predictably (I don't mind a fade or a draw, as long as it's consistent) and I don't have that now, nor have I ever. So I keep looking.

Do you constantly look, or have you gotten to the point where you're happy with what you're bagging and aren't planning on looking for a while, if at all?

I am happy with all the drivers I own, but I could always get more :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell myself that I’m good with what I have....then keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have this problem thankfully. I actually get a bit overwhelmed with so many clubs being released and all the technology that comes with it. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I like to go 2 years with driver but not always successful. This year I am going to try everything and see which one gives the best numbers and if significant, I probably will upgrade.

I'm actually quite happy with the Epic SZ. Don't think this will be a year for me to get a new one, but that is always subject to change.

If I had a driver that was essentially automatic, then I would stop switching. Obviously getting to that point has a lot to do with getting my swing grooved, but if I can step onto a tee box and know that my tee shot is going to be in play, then that means I have a driver that needs to stay in my bag. And honestly, the G400 is that driver for me!

I’m at that point now and one of the several reasons I’m playing an all titleist bag. Won’t be buying clubs unless there is a significant improvement in performance or sound/feel. New driver every two years, irons and wedges come out in the year between so always some sort of new and shiny in the bag

My driver is what I switch the most though I believe that once I find one that I'm consistent with I'll, probably, stop swapping it out as often.

Going broke would probably be the only real reason

The only way I stop buying new drivers, is if my favorite OEM started giving them to me. :)

For me it’s not the drivers anymore. It’s the shafts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bankruptcy.

I am in the every other release rotation, but it's getting to the point where I am maxed out & the Epic SZ is great but also I am not playing much golf & when I do it's generally fun golf with buddies & not serious golf w/ the big boys from the back tees, so I am only hitting the driver 3-4 times a round.

I’m kind of at that point now. Not that it is 100% perfect but more that I have very little to gain from a new one. Other clubs are more tempting right now.

It is weird for me to say, because I am a complete club ho, but I have no desire to try any of the new offerings this year. It will either be my Epic or my G400 LST. In the next two months, I am going to narrow it down to one or the other.

I reserve the right to try new shafts, though.:D

If I had a driver that was essentially automatic, then I would stop switching. Obviously getting to that point has a lot to do with getting my swing grooved, but if I can step onto a tee box and know that my tee shot is going to be in play, then that means I have a driver that needs to stay in my bag. And honestly, the G400 is that driver for me!

What he said. Word for word.

I am willing to buy one every 2 years assuming I hit it better than my current.

Back