How do you score a max for a hole?

We have gone on a golf vacation with a group of 8-12 guys, and a few guys only play during this annual trip. So to try and make it more fun and fair to every one we just cap it as double par as the max for everyone during that trip. We also set local rules (IE playing OB as lateral hazard and if you aren't out of a bunker in two you can toss it out on the 3rd shot with your hand).

Sadly every player ends up using the max score on at least one hole throughout the trip.

For my usual game I use the Max ESC that the USGA has listed (currently that is a 7 for my handicap regardless of the par of the hole) and I am sure you will get there before you know it.

Any sort of match put the ball in the hole and write that down. ESC will adjust it later. Casual round I normally finish the hole but occasionally I pick up or hit the ball at my cart since I obv couldn't hit anything else so far on the hole and occasionally just hit the ball in the wrong direction since it is not listening to me and deserves a watery death.

Lol. I'll be watching for this in a couple of months.

Double par, mostly

On the high school team we picked up at double par. This was really doing a disservice to a guy like me because I almost never got to finish a hole! You lose out on all the short game (read:important) experience, especially putting. What you can do is adjust in different ways. Drop laterally on an OB shot. Drop next to your playing partner's in play ball after losing a ball off the tee. Drop next to a decent drive after duffing off the tee... etc. Whatever you can do to keep pace of play while still allowing yourself the most amount of shots and practice/experience. As for what to write down on the score card? You're not playing competitively and don't want to keep a handicap so who cares? Leave it blank, color it in, X it out, write double par with an asterisk... whatever. Make sure you are playing the appropriate tees even if it doesn't look like they are "that much closer". Just enjoy yourself, learn the game, and keep pace of play! Oh, and fill or replace those beaver tail divots!

ESC says triple bogey is my max for any single hole for my handicap. So my max is +3 if I completely quit on a hole. Which is rare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No triple bogey max. Assume you mean 7?

If your just playing for fun, I suppose there are a few options:
-record actual score-you might have the bug and want to see improvement, compare to other rounds
-find a handicap tracker and record actual score (you may have to check holes for esc purposes)

-record whatever you think you shot, lie your ass of to your buddies, and drink the free beer lol

Use the Dave rules:
30 seconds to find a lost ball. Don't hit out of crappy lies, use your foot wedge, 2 shots out of a bunker max, putt your 3 footers out, take a double par as your score. The people playing behind you will appriciate your pace of play. We understand, we have all been there.

Make it up when you are by yourself on the course: hit two balls if the first is bad. Don't use high priced balls, go to lostballs.com and get some grade AA Pinnacle balls (.25 cents a ball kind of deal), celebrate when you par the hole

-record whatever you think you shot, lie your ass of to your buddies, and drink the free beer lol

I like it!! I'm pretty sure that's how a few of the people I play with score it....

Sure thing! Here’s the ESC breakdown.

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)
Handicap/Max Number
9 or less: Double Bogey
10 through 19: 7
20 through 29: 8
30 through 39: 9
40 or more: 10

This is what I do

A round I’m posting? Write the ESC score plus * to denote.

Practice round? Write FU and move on

Whenever I get tired of swinging... But my handicap I can only take a double.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Write it as you play it. Only way to see improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i usually wirte down my actual score and leave the ESC thing for the handicap.

Not that i am good but I like to see which holes I have a Issue with. (I'm trying to get better).

If I am Blowing up on a hole, I will just pick up at 9 or 10.

Peace

I go to the bitter end unless that would hold people up. How else would I ever know I scored a 17 on a hole?

Back