How do you score a max for a hole?

Papatortuga

Reaction score
Handicap
My friends and I are not very good at golf. Most of us have been playing less than 1 year. I've heard all different sorts of ways to max out on a hole like double par, +3 over par, or just total strokes. Is there a correct way to score for people who aren't looking to go pro or play in tournaments (maybe in a few years, hopefully I'll be decent by then haha)?

If it’s just a keep pace if play up question I max triple on all holes.

For handicap purposes just write down the full score taken and ESC will correct the round

My friends and I are not very good at golf. Most of us have been playing less than 1 year. I've heard all different sorts of ways to max out on a hole like double par, +3 over par, or just total strokes. Is there a correct way to score for people who aren't looking to go pro or play in tournaments (maybe in a few years, hopefully I'll be decent by then haha)?

No 'correct way' other than writing down a 15 if you get a 15 but no harm in just throwing snowman's (8) as a max for them all.

If it’s just a keep pace if play up question I max triple on all holes.

For handicap purposes just write down the full score taken and ESC will correct the round

This is the correct answer, IMHO.

If you're just playing for fun, I say double par. That's what I do if playing with my dad & my friends and we're just hacking it around out there. If you're submitting for handicap purposes, you put down your actual score.

If the goal is just to have fun and not build a handicap index at this time, play by whatever scoring system gives you guys the most enjoyment. Just be mindful of pace of play and what is behind you.

I'm not submitting my scores for handicap purposes, there would be no reason for me to do so at this point in my rookie year haha. But, yeah it's mostly for pace of play. I'd love to learn some of the other games/scoring methods like Stableford (?), etc. It seems like +3 or double par are the most popular ways though besides writing down your actual score.

Best bet would probably be to play whatever the max score is according to equitable stroke control, but there's nothing wrong with going the double par route either in the interest of keeping things moving.

The number doesn’t always dictate pace, so I was pretty flexible early on and let pace determine when I’d pick up. I was a fan of double par even if it was open. Putting up 12s got old quick.

Any sort of match put the ball in the hole and write that down. ESC will adjust it later. Casual round I normally finish the hole but occasionally I pick up or hit the ball at my cart since I obv couldn't hit anything else so far on the hole and occasionally just hit the ball in the wrong direction since it is not listening to me and deserves a watery death.

I can't speak for handicap purposes, but just in casual play, my friends and I basically cap our score at 9. We basically believe a 10 is not in play (there are no par 5s at my course), and so we "save ourselves the embarssment" of a 10 by just picking up at 9.

It's actually very rarely its used, but from time to time, a couple of OOB and maybe a pond on one of the holes will bring it into play.

~Rock

Best bet would probably be to play whatever the max score is according to equitable stroke control, but there's nothing wrong with going the double par route either in the interest of keeping things moving.

Could you please elaborate my man. Thanks!

Could you please elaborate my man. Thanks!

Sure thing! Here’s the ESC breakdown.

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)
Handicap/Max Number
9 or less: Double Bogey
10 through 19: 7
20 through 29: 8
30 through 39: 9
40 or more: 10

Sure thing! Here’s the ESC breakdown.

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)
Handicap/Max Number
9 or less: Double Bogey
10 through 19: 7
20 through 29: 8
30 through 39: 9
40 or more: 10

I like it, thanks! Facts and numbers, now my friends won't think it's just something I made up haha.

I like it, thanks! Facts and numbers, now my friends won't think it's just something I made up haha.

Keep in mind if in a tournament or something you finish the hole and write the actual score down and you adjust it when entering into GHIN. Now in a casual round I always encourage picking up if you just blasted 2 ob and chunked your chip for a quad.

We play it out (pace allowing) but card nothing higher than a snow man

Last edited:
I've always done a snowman 8 for anything over it on the card.

Double bogie. 8 handicap so double is it unless in a tournament.

Using the ESC chart is definitely the correct way. But we all have those rounds where we're playing with friends, drinking, having a good time and not worried about the score. For those, I'd say whatever you have to pick up at to keep the pace of play. Don't be that group on the course that is wasted and rowdy, AND slow. :D

ESC says triple bogey is my max for any single hole for my handicap. So my max is +3 if I completely quit on a hole. Which is rare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just double par

ESC to keep pace going

Back