Would you rather watch...

Jaymo37

Against All Odds!
Reaction score
Handicap
Would you rather watch a tournament where the pro's are just tearing the course apart, with lots of birdies and excitement, or watch a tournament where the pro's are struggling mightily just to stay around (E)?

For me, I like to watch the tournaments where the best players in golf are really struggling to break par. The type of tournament where maybe a handful of guys finish under par. I think this is why The US Open is almost always my favorite tournament of the year! I also feel it's the type of tournament where the mentally strong will have the best showing, being able to put a bad hole or bad break behind them, and really focus on what they can control.

Would you rather watch a tournament where the pro's are just tearing the course apart, with lots of birdies and excitement, or watch a tournament where the pro's are struggling mightily just to stay around (E)?

For me, I like to watch the tournaments where the best players in golf are really struggling to break par. The type of tournament where maybe a handful of guys finish under par. I think this is why The US Open is almost always my favorite tournament of the year! I also feel it's the type of tournament where the mentally strong will have the best showing, being able to put a bad hole or bad break behind them, and really focus on what they can control.

I love the ones where the worlds top guys struggle. Whether it be because of the rough, greens, wind, rain or any other outside agency. I eat that stuff up.

I also love the ones like when they play out in la Quinta and rip that course to shreds. I’m talking birdies, eagles, long drives and long putts.

There needs to be a balance throughout the year. Unfortunately and fortunately, the younger generation want to see long drives and exciting emotion that come with an easier event rather than the world #1 shooting 80 on Sunday

Sent from HTX

I love seeing them tear the course up, especially when there's 2 guys battling it out while doing it. DJ was fun to watch today, shooting -24 for the week, but it'd been awesome if someone had been there with him as a challenger

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

A little bit of both but I tend to prefer US Open like conditions. Hard, fast and having a tough time breaking (E) during the 4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I prefer to see them playing courses that definitely penalize errant shots. If they struggle because of hitting poor shots, that it the way is should be imo.

I like to see them struggle.

Struggle. They're the best. The harder the better

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I like to watch a brutally hard tournament with carnage and the best the field of the best players in the world can do is finish 3 shots over par, except for that one guy who is 12 under par.

They are the best in the world and I want to see them struggle to make par like us mere mortals. Seriously though IMO when the conditions are tough, that is when their true talent really shows. Seeing them bomb 320+ drives right down the middle and pin hunting week after week would get old.

I prefer tough track condtions to see how the play from bad places, thick rough, high wind, etc.

I like to see them struggle, especially in majors. That prolongs the suspense because anything can happen on any hole. Just as long as its not because of crappy course conditions (I'm looking at you Chambers Bay)

I don't like to see them struggle too much, I want to watch them play and still think us mortals could still enjoy the course

The struggle of a US Open is fun to watch but it’s very cool to see a pro slice and dice a course for a record win too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This always becomes the US Open type argument, and I would much rather watch what was going on this weekend, even with a reduced field, than watching the pros struggle to make par or bogey.

I like watching good golf. That can happen when guys are having to work hard for par, or when tearing a course apart. I don't like watching a "struggle". That's not entertaining for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My preference to watch is a highly technical course that is soft. I love to see the pros work the ball with ease.

It doesn't interest me to watch balls land by the pin and finish in a collection area. While it's fun once in a while, it's not my favourite thing to view by a long shot.

A couple times a year seeing a score of -4 win a tournament wouldn't be so bad. Depending how Shinnecock is setup I would like to see a score that could resemble what DJ did at Oakmont be the winner. The golf that Webb Simpson or Graeme McDowell won not so much, a win is a win don't get me wrong, but testing the precision and mental toughness of these golfers is an aspect I like from time to time.

I'm with you.

I like watching both, a -16 winning score doesn't sour a viewing experience for me. What I don't like is courses that aren't naturally that tough, that are altered to chase that even par round. Unnaturally narrow fairways, tough so thick the balls won't come out, greens that absolutely won't hold balls. These things aren't that exciting to me.

I like watching them go crazy making birdies and eagles.

I like a good struggle as long as the course isn’t gimmicky.

After last weekend’s Sentry TOC, I think I’d like to see them play receptive, slower greens in the 9-10 range. The slopes start affecting the ball more and makes them work on the putting green. Plus that is a similar game to what I can play.

They're both fun, but I enjoy seeing them struggle like the rest of us at the US Open and when weather happens at The Open.

After last weekend’s Sentry TOC, I think I’d like to see them play receptive, slower greens in the 9-10 range. The slopes start affecting the ball more and makes them work on the putting green. Plus that is a similar game to what I can play.

Other way around, the faster the greens the more putts break and are affected by slope.

Other way around, the faster the greens the more putts break and are affected by slope.

Oh really? Must have misremembered what I heard on the TOC broadcast. Guess I’m not as good at multitasking as I thought. Thanks for the correction.

Back