Grandura Shafts Review Thread

Spent a good 30 minutes out on the range with the Grandura and 3 different club heads.
Callaway XR
Big Bertha Alpha 815
Great Big Bertha

Alternating every few swings to see what the difference the club head makes and what I saw was rather interesting. The XR was the highest launching of the bunch, followed by GBB and then 815. FlightScope said the difference in launch was basically as follows. From XR to GBB it was 1 degree. From GBB to 815 it was .42 degrees. However the interesting part was that peak height stayed right in the same ball park for each of the drivers, with the expection of the 815 that was 4.5 feet lower.

The Grandura shaft holds up beautifully to all of the heads and obviously my swing. I get a mid-high ball flight with the 590 that never balloons or wavers, but penetrates until peak. Its a shaft that I have grown really accustom to and one that will be staying in my bag for as long as I can. The marriage with the GBB for me is perfection. I get fairly low spin, nice ball flight and plenty of carry. The shaft is true to flex for me and feels perfect at transition holding up to even aggressive turns.

For those that often discuss things like "whippy" or "too much flex", the Grandura offers the desired ball flight with no fear of that at all for my swing. I cannot say enough good things about the pairings and the look gives off this classically elegant feel with still enough industrial to look all business.

It just sounds like that shaft and you really are a perfect fit. Also pretty crazy it gives a peak height that's really similar all the way around, despite the lower launch between the XR and 815.

Out of curiosity, what was different in the 815 that made it launch almost a degree and a half lower than the XR but still get up to a similar peak height?

It just sounds like that shaft and you really are a perfect fit. Also pretty crazy it gives a peak height that's really similar all the way around, despite the lower launch between the XR and 815.

Out of curiosity, what was different in the 815 that made it launch almost a degree and a half lower than the XR but still get up to a similar peak height?

I have to take a further look into the numbers, but my gut tells me its by design and a little more spin.

I have to take a further look into the numbers, but my gut tells me its by design and a little more spin.

My instinct says spin too but wasn't sure if it needed a lot of extra spin to do that or if it really doesn't take that much.

Good thoughts there JB.

I need to get on a launch monitor and look at numbers to see where I'm at with the 530 & GBB pairing. Just based on the eye test, course play and SC-100 data, I feel like I'm getting more peak height (not ballooning) and more carry than with the BBA815.

The big thing is where I thought it was a flex too stiff with the 815, that went out the window with the GBB.

an ok driving day for me today. my swing is starting to crack a bit right now. the shaft performed well. nothing about it is high launch for me. it's mid at best. I'm fine with that, but i would like to hit an s flex or even sr to see whether those launched higher.

very good dispersion again today. I hit a lot of fairways and had good looks at greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff JB! I really can't enough about how well this shaft has been working for me either.

I had a really nice round yesterday on a course I only see once a year. It is a shorter course with very narrow fairways, that also tend to have a serious slope on one side forcing you to hit a particular side of the fairway to keep it in the short grass. I found if I took a nice easy swing the ball flight was low/mid to low but I still got solid distance with a very conservative move on the ball. When I had a larger landing area and put a better move on the ball, the flight was mid to mid/high which gave some really good results. I measured one at 290 yards (likely 270+ carry), which is massive for me. It is a good feeling to be able to take an easier swing and still have the shaft produce the expected results time and again. Feels like I have an extra club off the tee and it is great having the extra forgiveness of the driver off the tee vs. moving to a 3-wood.

Like JB, the shaft feels true to flex for me and can handle anything my swing can throw at it. The shaft looks great and gets tons of positive comments from guys I play with. At this point I don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon and will be looking to get fit into one for my 3-wood as well.

Last edited:
So, delving through all of my recorded data with this setup, I've definitely seen some interesting things.

For the 590, simply put it fits its billing from Grandura as a mid flight shaft overall. I'm seeing increased launch angles from my previous gamer on average about 1.2* overall and at the same time an average apex in the 31 yard range (which is about a full yard higher from my previous gamer). With all this though the whole key is I'm not seeing what I would personally call "mid" spin like they have classified the 590 in stiff as, its really more in the low-mid realm for me when paired with the GBB head. Overall it means more carry, not a ton, but about 3.8 yards more carry on average, which is definitely substantial enough for me as I'm a firm believer in the saying that "carry travels.

JB got to see first hand how I'm hitting this setup and its really a legitimately good fit for me. When testing first started I was battling some pretty wonky swing issues (falling back) and that lead to some abnormal flights that discouraged me in terms of diminishing returns, reality though is that as the swing has been remedied I've come around totally on the 590.

The weight is not an issue IMO, but I'm a believer that too many of us put too much stock in the weight of a shaft before ever trying it and mentally psych ourselves out from the start. Lighter doesn't mean weaker. I've have 12 completely different swing spend time with the 590-S from 88MPH to 110+MPH and not a single person has commented on the shaft feeling either weak or strong to flex. Yes, this is a slippery slope talking point, and IMO something we overthink a shat ton (I did immediately upon seeing Ddec be paired with a TS shaft and me S having a higher swing ego...er...swing speed :alien:) making it more a talking point than it necessary needs to be. This is not a shot at anyone, just something that I personally believe.

It looks tremendous in a really simple kind of way, and I've gotten more comments on that than I ever thought I would because most of the guys at my course have seen me play some pretty BRIGHT and wild shafts for reviews over the last few years. Its going to be rediculous when the blue GBB head arrives.

In all, I've gone from one side of the spectrum on the Grandura 590 to the over with time. It does what it says for me, and honestly the dispersion for the weight has been stellar. Its a lot of fun.

Hopefully I get out some more here in the next few days and will report back some more.

So, delving through all of my recorded data with this setup, I've definitely seen some interesting things.

For the 590, simply put it fits its billing from Grandura as a mid flight shaft overall. I'm seeing increased launch angles from my previous gamer on average about 1.2* overall and at the same time an average apex in the 31 yard range (which is about a full yard higher from my previous gamer). With all this though the whole key is I'm not seeing what I would personally call "mid" spin like they have classified the 590 in stiff as, its really more in the low-mid realm for me when paired with the GBB head. Overall it means more carry, not a ton, but about 3.8 yards more carry on average, which is definitely substantial enough for me as I'm a firm believer in the saying that "carry travels.

JB got to see first hand how I'm hitting this setup and its really a legitimately good fit for me. When testing first started I was battling some pretty wonky swing issues (falling back) and that lead to some abnormal flights that discouraged me in terms of diminishing returns, reality though is that as the swing has been remedied I've come around totally on the 590.

The weight is not an issue IMO, but I'm a believer that too many of us put too much stock in the weight of a shaft before ever trying it and mentally psych ourselves out from the start. Lighter doesn't mean weaker. I've have 12 completely different swing spend time with the 590-S from 88MPH to 110+MPH and not a single person has commented on the shaft feeling either weak or strong to flex. Yes, this is a slippery slope talking point, and IMO something we overthink a shat ton (I did immediately upon seeing Ddec be paired with a TS shaft and me S having a higher swing ego...er...swing speed :alien:) making it more a talking point than it necessary needs to be. This is not a shot at anyone, just something that I personally believe.

It looks tremendous in a really simple kind of way, and I've gotten more comments on that than I ever thought I would because most of the guys at my course have seen me play some pretty BRIGHT and wild shafts for reviews over the last few years. Its going to be rediculous when the blue GBB head arrives.

In all, I've gone from one side of the spectrum on the Grandura 590 to the over with time. It does what it says for me, and honestly the dispersion for the weight has been stellar. Its a lot of fun.

Hopefully I get out some more here in the next few days and will report back some more.
Good stuff guys!
I had a really nice round yesterday on a course I only see once a year. It is a shorter course with very narrow fairways, that also tend to have a serious slope on one side forcing you to hit a particular side of the fairway to keep it in the short grass. I found if I took a nice easy swing the ball flight was low/mid to low but I still got solid distance with a very conservative move on the ball. When I had a larger landing area and but a better move on the ball, the flight was mid to mid/high which gave some really good results. I measured one at 290 yards (likely 270+ carry), which is massive for me. It is a good feeling to be able to take an easier swing and still have the shaft produce the expected results time and again. Feels like I have an extra club off the tee and it is great having the extra forgiveness of the driver off the tee vs. moving to a 3-wood.

Like JB, the shaft feels true to flex for me and can handle anything my swing can throw at it. The shaft looks great and gets tons of positive comments from guys I play with. At this point I don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon and will be looking to get fit into one for my 3-wood as well.

I wish I could add a little bit more to this thread, but my swing with the driver is a mess right now. I hit a ton of balls at the range today trying to fix it, I'm struggling with my weight hanging back on my downswing. The result of that are really high drives, but I will say that I'm not really seeing ballooning of the ball. It's more due to the swing than the club and shaft, but when I hit those high balls, I'm not seeing a really penetrating flight, but instead a high launch that just seems to stay in the air for a long time. On my good strikes, I was one-hopping the ball into a fence that was 255 yards away, and that's with range balls. But on my bad swings, I'm coming over the top after hanging back, and hitting these weak slices that are also hurt by coming off of the heel, and no shaft is going to fix that.

I was also supposed to have a lesson yesterday with my instructor who has a GC2 launch monitor, but we had to cancel it because the launch monitor is broken. So unlike some others in this thread, I can't get launch monitor data right now, which is frustrating.

Good range session today with the 550. It's been nasty out lately and I think unfortunately the season will be winding down quickly but today was sunny so I hit a bunch of balls. I usually play a fade but for fun decided to try some draws and I was pleasantly surprised! I don't have the confidence to try some on the course yet but I had quite a few high bombs. Loving the height I see with this and combine that with a good swing and this draw and the distances were just awesome. I want to dial this in more and make it lethal on the course, everyone loves a high draw haha. The 550 just holds up to everything I've tried to do with it. Had it for awhile now and it still looks mint too, the finish is tough.

Actually hit 90* here today. I had a solid range session yesterday and some more time on the range and 18 today. Not much to report that I haven't mentioned in a prior post. I am seeing similar results to my previous shaft that has similar specs as far as distance and launch/spin. I do feel like I am finding the fairway more often and I miss smaller with this shaft but have no real data to back that up.

Actually hit 90* here today. I had a solid range session yesterday and some more time on the range and 18 today. Not much to report that I haven't mentioned in a prior post. I am seeing similar results to my previous shaft that has similar specs as far as distance and launch/spin. I do feel like I am finding the fairway more often and I miss smaller with this shaft but have no real data to back that up.

My playing partner Tim said he saw the same thing today. Said distance was slightly better for him, but felt as though he was hitting the short grass more often.

My playing partner Tim said he saw the same thing today. Said distance was slightly better for him, but felt as though he was hitting the short grass more often.

I had my cousin hit it today for the first time. He crushes the ball but is fairly wild with a big sweeping draw. Hit was hitting beautiful baby fades today that certainly made me think that this shaft is doing something to affect that.

i'm following the awesome example that jlukes set, and passing my 590 71g ts flex shaft to a fellow thp'er to put it through the paces and post his thoughts in this thread over the next few weeks, maybe longer.

i believe i have spent enough time with the setup to post my final, parting thoughts.

first and foremost, a MASSIVE thank you to THP and Grandura Golf for the opportunity to participate in such a special, unique review. it was a blast and an honor.

let's back up and revisit what grandura says about the 590: The 590 shaft design is our lightest offering at 55 grams. It is designed to help players who are looking for an increase in swing speed. Even though this is a lightweight product, this shaft incorporates our stable tip design. This stable tip tightens shot dispersion and at the same time increases distance with a higher launch and mid-spin combination. Our unique balance point feature allows drivers to be built over length and still maintain a standard swing weight. The 590 has our blue color designation to represent its high launch characteristics.

at 71g, this particular shaft would not be considered lightweight. i wonder whether the added weight in this shaft combined with the stable tip design they reference serves to counteract some of the high launch design. maybe the next tester of this shaft can chime in, since this particular 590 will play heavier and stiffer than the 590 he has hit previously.

regarding grandura's claim that the stable tip design tightens shot dispersion, that has, from the very first swings i took with this shaft, been the single most impressive thing. i am not aggressive loader of the shaft, and i do not have a very fast swing. but when i try to "go hard" after a swing, dispersion suffers greatly. there has yet to be a swing with this shaft that i went after and connected but that suffered a loss of control. it is up to whatever swing you throw at it. truly, it has the tightest control of any shaft i've ever tried.

regarding grandura's claim that the shaft is designed to help players who are looking for an increase in swing speed, this particular setup did not produce the fastest speed of shafts hit in comparison. it did, however, produce 2 mph more speed over an x flex shaft, and only gave up less than 1 mph of speed to an s flex shaft. my conclusion is that i do feel in an apples-to-apples comparison of flexes and weights, the 590 would add speed.

regarding grandura's claim that this shaft is designed to increase distance with a higher launch and mid-spin combination, this reviewer with this reviewer's particular swing did not experience this on the golf course. hear me clearly: i have no issues at all with the launch or spin characteristics of this setup; i am only reporting results i saw on the course. on a flightscope, i did see higher launch than any other shaft hit in comparison by a good margin. however, on the course, i saw a more mid launch with a noticeable increase in carry. i also saw higher spin that suffered in windier conditions. i believe this to be the result of a less-than-ideal pairing with the particular head i am using, and despite my best efforts i was never able to pair this with a lower-spinning offering from cobra to test that theory.

so many reviews mention shafts being whippy or boardy, true or soft or stiff to flex, and responsive or unresponsive. we read about testers feeling kick, or never losing the head. these phrases mean drastically different things to different people. for me, this shaft felt stable. any kick i felt was when i made a properly-sequenced, aggressive swing. if my sequencing suffered, or i casted too much, the shaft felt unresponsive. but when i made a good swing, the ball exploded. give it something good, and this shaft will reward you. on the less perfect swings, the ball is still in the fairway, though a sizeable distance back. in my opinion, this is a function of the stiffness rather than the shaft design.

speaking of stiffness, i have mentioned in previous posts that i am surprised by the stiffness profile grandura's online fitting tool suggests. only one of the many testers in this thread has mentioned that the shaft plays a touch less stiff than a previous gamer, while everyone has mentioned that the shaft plays true to flex or perhaps stiffer. i would recommend anyone considering this shaft who cannot be fit in person and is relying on the online fitting guide, report results that approximate their average swing. not the swing that produces that one pounded drive per round. this shaft can absolutely handle that one pounded drive, but i think golfers would benefit from a bit less stiffness to help the other 13 swings that day, at least i know this reviewer would.

and now, the ultimate question: after testing this shaft for 5 weeks, playing multiple rounds, testing it on a launch monitor, and working with it on the range, would i game it on a long-term basis? i would game a 590 in a heartbeat, and would game it for a long time. i would like to get properly fitted for weight and flex, as i feel that this shaft is too much for this tester's medium speed swing. when i got everything out of my swing, this shaft was a monster. but when i didn't give it my best, which at an 8 handicap is quite often, i do believe yards were left behind.

if you are a golfer who would like more distance through increased carry, in an extraordinarily stable profile, then i believe the grandura 590 would be a perfect fit for you. if an in-person fitting is not an option and you are utilizing the online fitting guide, i cannot stress enough the importance of inputting the lower end of your averages. this product works, it offers stability unparalleled in anything i have ever tried, and the multitude of profiles provides something for every golfer.

speaking of stiffness, i have mentioned in previous posts that i am surprised by the stiffness profile grandura's online fitting tool suggests. only one of the many testers in this thread has mentioned that the shaft plays a touch less stiff than a previous gamer, while everyone has mentioned that the shaft plays true to flex or perhaps stiffer. i would recommend anyone considering this shaft who cannot be fit in person and is relying on the online fitting guide, report results that approximate their average swing. not the swing that produces that one pounded drive per round. this shaft can absolutely handle that one pounded drive, but i think golfers would benefit from a bit less stiffness to help the other 13 swings that day, at least i know this reviewer would.

and now, the ultimate question: after testing this shaft for 5 weeks, playing multiple rounds, testing it on a launch monitor, and working with it on the range, would i game it on a long-term basis? i would game a 590 in a heartbeat, and would game it for a long time. i would like to get properly fitted for weight and flex, as i feel that this shaft is too much for this tester's medium speed swing. when i got everything out of my swing, this shaft was a monster. but when i didn't give it my best, which at an 8 handicap is quite often, i do believe yards were left behind.

Really good job of summing everything up here - really had a very similar experience with the shaft and the online fitting tool.

Great to see that this shaft will be getting reviewed by another person as well. I think it is important that as many people swing these shafts as possible so there can be a multitude of opinions on these shafts.

My shaft is packed up and is being sent to Texas today for some BIG TIME reviewing.

These look like they hit the golfworks website today for ordering. Still showing backordered though wonder when they will be officially available

These look like they hit the golfworks website today for ordering. Still showing backordered though wonder when they will be officially available
So cool to see them getting out there! Also pretty awesome to realize how far ahead THP got their hands on them, amazing opportunity. Fantastic shafts

I spent some more quality time with the 550 this week, and am having a hard time coming up with anything to report that hasn't already been said. The shaft just continues to perform very well, provided I do my part. As others have noted, the finish is holding up well also. The shaft has been riding in the bag, in the back of my escape while I commuted an hour each way to work every day (up until this past week) and it still looks as good as the day it arrived. I just can't seem to find a chink in the armor with this shaft, but that may be due more to how well the shaft fits me. It certainly isn't going to perfect for everyone, but would work well with a wide spectrum of swings imo, and it has worked well for those that have tried the one I have (with the exception of the CT head). This shaft is going to be hard to knock out of the bag!

That is always a great thing. Testing something that stays in the bag.

I'm in hardcore ponder mode for an s flex 590. just a little more pop and I think the thing would be stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that are curious: all of these shafts are listed at $349 on the Golfworks site.

That is always a great thing. Testing something that stays in the bag.

It is, happened to me a couple times, still game the mFGP.

Back