"Tour van" clubs: pricing/difference vs. off the shelf?

Ahh, Excellent point I didn't highlight above!

Side note: Wouldn't that be kind of a poor move to get a hook up, then turn around and try and make money off of it?
in my opinon yes it would. But not everyone sees it like that.

Side note: Wouldn't that be kind of a richard move to get a hook up, then turn around and try and make money off of it?

Definitely

I can definitely see why a Tour van product would come with regular flex shafts... Those combos are SO common on Tour!

Side note: Wouldn't that be kind of a poor move to get a hook up, then turn around and try and make money off of it?
in my opinon yes it would. But not everyone sees it like that.

It's pretty commonplace. I don't know the circumstance of these individuals so i'll hold off on judgement. Maybe it's one way of them getting paid for their services. Who knows.

I had a tour issue shaft once in my first Morgan Cup...#Knucklers4Days

I really don't understand why anyone would pay extra for a tour issue driver or fairway wood. The are made in the same Chinese foundry by the same workers as the clubs we all buy at the big box retailers. None of the plus index golfers I know would even entertain the idea of paying extra for a tour issue head/shaft. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Some OEMs will sell their tour options directly to consumers

vault.taylormadegolf.com

My opinion as well. Will we notice a difference, probably not. Plus, with so many good options our there from all OEMs, you can't tell me there isn't a similar fit at half (or more) of the price.

And people complain about a $500 driver.

I'd agree with this. You also can't tell me there's not a 2-3 year old driver for 1/5th the price that wouldn't perform just as well or not better. My current gamer is "old" by THP standards, yet I've personally never owned one that I hit much better (and I think I'm over about 30 different drivers).

It's pretty commonplace. I don't know the circumstance of these individuals so i'll hold off on judgement. Maybe it's one way of them getting paid for their services. Who knows.
Goodpoint Dan. There may be agreements as such and we shouldn't judge everyone that is selling something.

I was speaking in terms where I've seen it done as strictly a cash grab.

Sometimes, retail options just don't allow golfers to play certain clubs due to head weight, lie angle or face angle. Some people need an open face or heavier head or flatter lie with a wood. Off the rack clubs can't be manipulated like tour issue clubs can. For the example, TM has some clubs with longer hosels, usually woods, for the ability to adjust lie angle. Also as many people here can agree, the XR fairways were very light (designed that way on purpose) and a lot of people wished that could add weight to the head to raised club head total weight to their preferred amount but were unable to due to no port hole to allow access. The tour issue ones have a hot melt hole, retail don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly believe that the number of consumers that NEED that amount of customization is very low. What I think happens, the "Tour Issue" becomes a stamp of pride, an exclusive club. Or, I think looking through the SLDR thread for example, they are more for people trying to make a club fit them. Instead of finding a club that offers them the heavier head, or flatter lie, they frankenstein a clubhead until it works.

Goodpoint Dan. There may be agreements as such and we shouldn't judge everyone that is selling something.

I was speaking in terms where I've seen it done as strictly a cash grab.

I understand where you're coming from my friend. The golf industry is certainly interesting -- I'm just finding things a lot easier when the benefit of the doubt is given.

I honestly believe that the number of consumers that NEED that amount of customization is very low. What I think happens, the "Tour Issue" becomes a stamp of pride, an exclusive club. Or, I think looking through the SLDR thread for example, they are more for people trying to make a club fit them. Instead of finding a club that offers them the heavier head, or flatter lie, they frankenstein a clubhead until it works.

I could not agree more. We have all heard the stories of the tour player who will go through 20 of the exact same driver heads to find the one he likes. If you're really buying a tour issue club it is very likely to be someone else's reject.

I'd agree with this. You also can't tell me there's not a 2-3 year old driver for 1/5th the price that wouldn't perform just as well or not better. My current gamer is "old" by THP standards, yet I've personally never owned one that I hit much better (and I think I'm over about 30 different drivers).

That Anser driver was/is the bee's knees RB. Hit about 20 balls with one of those...it was incredible

I have a coworker who is a former mini-tour player and he has a "hook-up" that still gets him clubs for free. All tour issue stuff.

He is hitting a Alpha and he swears up and down there is a huge difference between his driver and stock drivers. I see it that he may hit it better and more consistently, but I see absolutely no difference vs my DBD. Hit side by side, the results were close enough to stay with what I have.

As I have said before, if you can honestly make the case that a Tour Issue club works for you then you probably already have access to the source. Otherwise, it's a pride/ego thing.

I really don't understand why anyone would pay extra for a tour issue driver or fairway wood. The are made in the same Chinese foundry by the same workers as the clubs we all buy at the big box retailers. None of the plus index golfers I know would even entertain the idea of paying extra for a tour issue head/shaft. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I know quite a few + handicap guys and you're right, none play tour issue stuff!!!

As I have said before, if you can honestly make the case that a Tour Issue club works for you then you probably already have access to the source. Otherwise, it's a pride/ego thing.

What about if you have the means and the desire to own it? Isn't that case enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about if you have the means and the desire to own it? Isn't that case enough?

That would fall under pride imo. Pride to own and play something tour issue. Nothing wrong with that, nor did Fupy say there was.

That would fall under pride imo. Pride to own and play something tour issue. Nothing wrong with that, nor did Fupy say there was.

Didn't say he did, just asking for clarification.

I ask similar to a high end watch? I certainly don't need it but I sure do like owning it. Pride or satisfaction.

Didn't say he did, just asking for clarification.

I ask similar to a high end watch? I certainly don't need it but I sure do like owning it. Pride or satisfaction.

Kind of same thing in my opinion as a regular (all be it very rich regular) guy ordering and buying a high end performance sports car direct from the factory , he may never have the chance or ability to drive it to it's fullest speed or capability, but certainly likes to say he owns it and show it off. Again, nothing wrong with showing off nice stuff if you can afford it.

Back