Steel or Graphite, which do you prefer in irons?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
As I look forward this year, and realize that new irons are becoming more and more likely, I find myself pondering what shafts to get for them. I don't know anywhere else that has such a high population of golfers who have tried, or are actively gaming graphite shafts in their irons.

So THP, what say you? Do you prefer steel or graphite in your irons, and why?

~Rock

As I look forward this year, and realize that new irons are becoming more and more likely, I find myself pondering what shafts to get for them. I don't know anywhere else that has such a high population of golfers who have tried, or are actively gaming graphite shafts in their irons.

So THP, what say you? Do you prefer steel or graphite in your irons, and why?

~Rock
I will never go back to steel. Graphite is superior in nearly every way except for price, and I think eventually that becomes more comparable.

I prefer graphite, easier on my elbows and wrists.
I made the mistake and ordered my Z765's with C-Taper Lites and only managed about 6 rounds before I started having elbow issues again, I have already switched them out to Recoils.
I won't ever play steel again.

Graphite because they keep me playing pain free whenever I can play. 2014 was not that way due to arthritis that had developed in my upper arms and shoulders. I either played in pain for the miajority of the round or decided it was not worth putting up with that day and just didn't play. A switch to graphite in all swing clubs did the trick.

I’ve been playing graphite due to some elbow pain but I’ve decided to try switching back to steel with an insert.

Last year was my first year playing graphite iron shafts thanks to THP. I doubt I’ll ever go back to steel. I’ve enjoyed them that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been playing graphite due to some elbow pain but I’ve decided to try switching back to steel with an insert.

You mean like a hybrid steel/graphite shaft?

~Rock

Been playing graphite the last few years, and will more than likely stay that way due to some nagging hand/wrist issues.

I'm sold on graphite shafts. I agree with rallo, just a superior product that's more efficient and manufactured with a more consistent process. Plus I get more pain free rounds in, big plus there.

You mean like a hybrid steel/graphite shaft?

~Rock

Steel with either Sensicore or ProSoft inserts. They’re supposed to dampen a lot of the shock and make your steel shafts more graphite-like in that regard. We’ll see if that’s actually the case but I’m going to give it a go.

graphite!!

Steel, Ive tried multiple sets of graphite from different companies and none of them are as consistent for me as steel. I want to like graphite in irons but they are always a letdown.

Graphite, by a long shot. Much lower impact to my wrists and elbows.

I’m a big fan of graphite but the only graphite I have played consistently is the Aldila Rip Tours an I prefer my DG S300 pro’s to them.

I have only ever played steel but I really want to try out graphite.

I cannot imagine ever going back to steel.

I've swung graphite a few times but have never gamed them. So I guess I prefer steel. Not opposed to graphite though.

Graphite for me now. Due to shoulder issue, finger problem and elbow pain (geez....I'm breaking down) I find graphite allows me to play more with less physical issues. I played 2017 and 2017 with Aerotech Steelfibres (95R) and pain was minimal. Purchased a used set of Srixon combo irons in late fall of 2017 with Modus 105 stiff steel shafts. I loved the shaft and trajectory but after 10 games, my body was telling me that I needed to go back to graphite. Based on reviews on THP I have now got a set of Recoil 95 F3 in the irons for 2018. Haven't hit a ball yet so excited to play them in a couple of months (fingers crossed).

I would 100% prefer to play graphite in my irons, but I simply cannot find a set that suits my game/spin profile... and I am not going to continue dumping money into searching.

A couple of years ago, I would have said graphite, hands-down. I had a good run with various graphite iron shafts, but have had better iron play (results-wise) the past couple of seasons with "light-ish" steel offerings from Nippon and KBS.

I have used graphite for years. I have a broken back in 3 places and the graphite reduces the shock of steel on miss hits. Although, graphite is less forgiving, according to my swing coach (Jimmy Koosa) and Dustin Johnson's first swing coach, I prefer saving the shocks.

I have recently gone back to steel (rather light weight steel) after 5 years with graphite. The quality of both is outstanding but honestly I will probably go with graphite in my next set. How easy they are on the joints is great, but I haven't noticed any aches/pains with my current set of light weight steel.

Graphite. They are way easier on the wrists/hands.

I will never go back to steel. Graphite is superior in nearly every way except for price, and I think eventually that becomes more comparable.

$100 more for 8 graphite irons on the new Wilson C300 forged/non forged coming out soon. I so want this Fujikura shaft to fit me.

Steel. Haven't hit a weighted graphite shaft that I like yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back