Stupid question but, How high to tee the ball?

Sodakrep

Reaction score
Handicap
I have always been told to tee the ball up half above the face of the driver. Is that true with the newer drivers? I was at the range with my new ft-9 and noticed that alot of the ball marks were low on the face. Is this a result of my swing or where I am teeing the ball at?

I've just used trial and error. And I've noticed that if I tee it too high, my driver gets under it and the ball flies high up in the air, but goes nowhere :(

A rule of thumb that I've been using to tee up my driver shots, I put the tee with the golf ball on top and use my 2nd and 3rd fingers but palm facing up and sticking my pinky out and when my pinky comfortably touches the grass/dirt/whatever then its teed just right :D

Depends on how hight the face of your driver is but I tee it as high as half the ball above the face but never lower than 1/4 above the face

you need to tee it so you make the best contact with your driver, now if your asking where the best spot to hit the ball on your driver is, than thats a different question

I just use some of those indestructible tees that go into the ground the perfect depth every time. I forget what theyre called though. Theres the brush tees too, I like those as well.

I think ithey're called "4 more yards"? or something like that...Tomahawk tees have the right depth as well!

When you tee off with a driver, are you supposed to just hit the ball or hit part of the tee as well? :confused2:

I just use some of those indestructible tees that go into the ground the perfect depth every time. I forget what theyre called though. Theres the brush tees too, I like those as well.

I think ithey're called "4 more yards"? or something like that...Tomahawk tees have the right depth as well!

When you tee off with a driver, are you supposed to just hit the ball or hit part of the tee as well? :confused2:

Tomahawk tees, those are the ones I was thinking about. Great tees they just tend to fly away sometimes. I lost all mine.

I use brush-T, orange. I found that is perfect height for me.

Best thing to do is to experiment with a bunch of different heights and see what works best. If you notice that the ball marks are low on the face, try teeing up a bit higher and see if that helps. Anytime you are messing with tee height, play with the ball positioning in your stance as well. If you tee the ball a little higher, you might need to play the ball a little more forward. Same goes for teeing lower. It might be that you need to tee it higher and put the ball towards the middle of your stance. Never know till you play around with it. There should be at least one great combination.

That rule fo thumb that you mentioned goes waaaaay back. Back when woods were still wood and most were about the same size. I have found that with today's drivers and shafts, you really have to experiment to find the best set up.

I use standard 2 3/4 tees, and tee up the ball about half height above the driver face.

You want to hit the ball in the middle of the driver's face, so to do so, you will end up hitting the top 1/2" of the tee, usually making it fly a little bit either forward or straight up, or breaking it.

Most golf pros teach that you should tee the ball so that the crown of the clubhead is even with the equator of the ball.
On newer drivers they give the most trampoline effect when hitting the ball high on the center of the clubface.
In regards to your experience at the driving range, most of the tees at the driving range are a little too lower for the newer, bigger drivers. I have the same problem when I go to the driving range: the tee is just a bit too low.

Most golf pros teach that you should tee the ball so that the crown of the clubhead is even with the equator of the ball.
On newer drivers they give the most trampoline effect when hitting the ball high on the center of the clubface.
In regards to your experience at the driving range, most of the tees at the driving range are a little too lower for the newer, bigger drivers. I have the same problem when I go to the driving range: the tee is just a bit too low.

I hate that. I find that unless I am able to bring my own tee, it is useless trying to practice with the driver on a standard range- they are way too low. I don't even like the 'automatic' tee that you can adjust at ranges. I find them mostly too low as well.

I bought a couple of these. You just slip them under the mat the same way as the rubber tee's but you can raise the height way up to hit them properly with a modern driver. You can then push them back down to practice teeing off with Irons or FW. Best 3.99 I ever spent.

precision_tee_adjustable_range_tee_2_pack.jpg

Usually just a hair above the center of the face. If the wind is at my back a little higher. If the wind is in my face a little lower.

Interesting article Hawk. Thanks for linking it.

I will normally tee up my ball about half the ball above the club face. When it is real windy then I will tee it lower shich seems to give me a lower ball flight to keep the wind effect down.

I hate that. I find that unless I am able to bring my own tee, it is useless trying to practice with the driver on a standard range- they are way too low. I don't even like the 'automatic' tee that you can adjust at ranges. I find them mostly too low as well.

I bought a couple of these. You just slip them under the mat the same way as the rubber tee's but you can raise the height way up to hit them properly with a modern driver. You can then push them back down to practice teeing off with Irons or FW. Best 3.99 I ever spent.

precision_tee_adjustable_range_tee_2_pack.jpg
Very nice. I'll have to pick up a couple of those if I see any when Im at the golf show in Madison this weekend.

Back