Chipping and Pitching "Go To Club" Survey

dblock305

too busy winning
Reaction score
In light of the ensuing Wedge Shootout, I started this thread in order to discover if most people generally have similar preferences or if it is mixed across the board. The questions are as follows:

1. When Chipping onto the green from the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

2. When Chipping onto the green from a short distance away, but not on the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

3. When Chipping up over a bunker what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

4. When Pitching onto the green what is your "go to club" for a particular distance (i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50 yds out) and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

I know that these questions are broad and that they will probably generate more questions than answers so if you would like to go into more detail in your response by all means do so. Hopefully, by sharing our preferences and insight, we can all learn a little something we may have previously not known about the short game.

It all depends on the lie.

Fluffy grass will call for a different club than short, uphill chip will call for different than flat or even downhill.

Unless you use a Niblick. It covers all of those...hehe <---------LOL

1 - either my S57 PW (47°) or my Eidolon 52°

2 - if it's flat, I'll use my Eidolon 52°, if it's slightly elevated, I'll use the Eidolon 56°

3 - Eidolon 60°

4 - either the Eidolon 56° or 60°

Last edited:
1. Cleveland Niblick for sure. It has changed my game. However before that i was using amollerud's system from THP TV in which the club chosen depended on distance.

2. Cleveland Niblick again.

3. Nickent Arc 60* right now. I can hit perfect flop shots with it it seems.

4. This one really depends on the situation, lie, and what is in front of me.

It is a tough question.
1. On a chip from the fringe depends on how much green I have to work with. On a chip like this I will use my eidolon 52* or 56* to keep it running and control the spin.
2. Once again depends on how much green to work with. Here again I would use the eidolon 52* or 56* for the control.
3. On a forced carry I would use my nickent 60*. Great to control and easy to spin as needed.
4. On anything inside 100 yards I will be playing the nickent 60* with the exception of something in front of me forcing me to play a low or rolling shot.

1. On a chip from the fringe depends on how much green I have to work with. Typically I will use my Mizuno MPT 53*

2. Depending on how much green I have to work with, I would use the Mizuno MPT 53*

3. On a forced carry I would use my Mizuno MPT 60*.

4. On anything inside 100 yards I will be playing the Mizuno MPT 60* unless I need a low rolling shot where my hybrid would come in handy

I still want to add some more versatility to my wedge selection, adding a 49* or 50* and a 60* to the bag. But as I'm pretty confident with my current 54* I hit it in a lot of situations unless I need a lower ball flight.

1. Depends on the location - either a texas wedge with my Rife putter or I'll chip with my Nickent ARC 54*.

2. Almost always use my Nickent ARC 54*.

3. Again, my Nickent ARC 54*.

4. Anything from about 90 yards and in I'll use the Nickent ARC 54*.

All scenarios listed call for my Ping Tour-W 60*/8*.

Any semi-normal shot (not punching out from under a pine tree or in a bunker) within 75 yards and I use this wedge. I am more comfortable with getting used to one club for my finesse shots and it has the versatility to be used for all those situations you mentioned.

1. When Chipping onto the green from the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) I use my Titelist Vokey 58 Deg (C Grind)...I shut it down if I want to pitch and run and open it up more if I need it to land soft.

2. When Chipping onto the green from a short distance away, but not on the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) I use my Titleist Vokey 58 Deg (C Grind)...I shut it down if I want to pitch and run and open it up more if I need it to land soft.

3. When Chipping up over a bunker what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) I use my Titleist Vokey 58 Deg (C Grind) I open it up more to land softly.

4. When Pitching onto the green what is your "go to club" for a particular distance (i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50 yds out) and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) I use my Titleist Vokey 58 Deg (C Grind)...I use this club basically from any lie within 100 yards

Very interesting so far. Hope we can keep this thread going and get some more input from our THP members. :comp:

1. When Chipping onto the green from the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

2. When Chipping onto the green from a short distance away, but not on the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

3. When Chipping up over a bunker what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

4. When Pitching onto the green what is your "go to club" for a particular distance (i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50 yds out) and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree)

1) Depends how close the pin is, usually its a putter.

2) 52* Lowest lofted club, I like to play a bump and run

3) It depends how much room I have to work with on the green, if the pin is tight, 60*, If I got room 56*

4) Usually its a 52* or 56* again, depending on pin placement.

Very interesting so far. Hope we can keep this thread going and get some more input from our THP members. :comp:

Agreed Db. This is a great idea especially as we get closer to the shoot out.

For chipping from the fringe I use an 8-iron. For chipping where I need to fly the ball a bit of a ways to the green, I use a 9-iron. For chipping where I need to fly the ball over a bunker, I use a PW.
For pitching, I use my Mizuno MP-T 60*. I can adjust the length of my swing to distances ranging from 30-60 yards.

My 8-iron usually. Sometimes the 7-iron. If it's not a long way to the pin, then if possible I will putt it.

Same as #1. Same with the putting if it's fairway grass and not rough, if the pin is tucked up close to the front.

Usually a pitching wedge, to make sure I don't put it in the bunker. My old set had a true 50° PW, while my new set has a 60° PW. So I am still looking for a cople more wedges.

I usually don't pitch on to the green unless I have to because of something in the way. I much prefer to chip on. Again, with my 7- or 8-iron. If my chipping that day is sucking eggs, then I'll start pitching the ball.

1. When Chipping onto the green from the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) If the pin is close, I use my 60* Vokey. If it's pretty far across the green, then I'll use either my 50* or 54* Vokey.

2. When Chipping onto the green from a short distance away, but not on the fringe, what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) 60* Vokey. I am very confident in this club, and I never mess up with it.

3. When Chipping up over a bunker what is your "go to club" and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) Believe it or not, my "Professional Open" 68* wedge. Yes, sixty-eight degrees. I've taken out the 4i in my bag and put this thing in...I LOVE it.

4. When Pitching onto the green what is your "go to club" for a particular distance (i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50 yds out) and why? (If it is a wedge please let us know what brand and degree) 60* Vokey. I am very confident in this club, and I never mess up with it.

Pretty easy for me. 90% of the shots around the green I use a 56 degree wedge. The other 10% of the time I will use a 60 if I think I need to get over a trap or just don't want the ball to roll much. Inside of 100 yards it goes like this. 100-85 is the 52, 85-65 is the 56, 65-50 is the 60, anything inside of 50 it really depends on the type of shot I need to hit.

I have never used the 7 or 8 iron to bump-and-run around the greens. Growing up I was taught many techniques just using the sand wedge so I haven't felt much need to try anything else. I find it to be more consistent for me.

All my wedges are the Cleveland 588 series.

My 8-iron usually. Sometimes the 7-iron. If it's not a long way to the pin, then if possible I will putt it.

Same as #1. Same with the putting if it's fairway grass and not rough, if the pin is tucked up close to the front.

Usually a pitching wedge, to make sure I don't put it in the bunker. My old set had a true 50° PW, while my new set has a 60° PW. So I am still looking for a cople more wedges.

I usually don't pitch on to the green unless I have to because of something in the way. I much prefer to chip on. Again, with my 7- or 8-iron. If my chipping that day is sucking eggs, then I'll start pitching the ball.
Ive never heard of a 60* PW. I always thought they were 45* or 47*. I was always under the impression that a 60* is a lob wedge, not a pitching wedge. :confused2:

Ive never heard of a 60* PW. I always thought they were 45* or 47*. I was always under the impression that a 60* is a lob wedge, not a pitching wedge. :confused2:

He must have the Phil Mickelson set with the 68* L-wedge.
bigwink.gif

In light of the ensuing Wedge Shootout, I started this thread in order to discover if most people generally have similar preferences or if it is mixed across the board.

1. Miz MPT 56* due to high bounce

2. Miz MPT 56* due to high bounce (small green to work with and my MPT 60*)

3. MIZ 56* if I have some green OTW, 60* MPT

4. Normally a 56* MPT.. If flag is on upper shelf or not a lot of green where I need to drop it down quicker....then I go to...you guessed it...my 60* MPT

Major major typo! that should be 46° PW! Don't know what I was thinking.

I basically rely on two wedges in my bag, both Cleveland CG12, a 56* and a 60*. I will use the 56* for the majority of the shots unless I don't have a lot of green to work with and then it is my 60*. I also love to hit a flop shot with the 60* although that is more for fun, rarely do I ever need to hit that shot!
I bought these wedges last year and they have significantly improved my short game.

All of these depend on what I have in front of me- if it is flat all the way- I like to use a PW. If I have undulation, bunker, or other crap I don't want touching my ball- it's either the 52* or 58* depending on where the safest landing spot is and how much runout it takes to get from there to the pin.

Back