How many of you don't fit the general club fitting rules?

TheLetterSee

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know exactly how to ask that question but how many of you don't fit the generally accepted rules for club fitting. For example, I'm 6'4 but use standard length clubs. Maybe you have a slower swing speed but still need an X flex because of your transition. Stuff like that.

I think that is the beauty behind real fittings now is that the static ideas from the past may not be a standard that should be excepted.

I don't know exactly how to ask that question but how many of you don't fit the generally accepted rules for club fitting. For example, I'm 6'4 but use standard length clubs. Maybe you have a slower swing speed but still need an X flex because of your transition. Stuff like that.

The club length thing is the one I certainly don't fit in. I'm 6'5" and play 3/4" over and Standard Lie on Irons, 1/2" under standard for the driver and standard for the 3W and Hybrids. 20 years ago, when I was fitted, I was put into 1.5" over standard because I'm so tall. Of course, I was 2 Deg Upright because that's what you do for guys built like me.

I have relatively short legs and gorilla arms (34" pant length but 38" arm), so I'm much closer to standard that most fitters expect when they first size me up by look.

My dilemma is that, I am right handed, but due to breaking my left arm from a tennis mishap, my left arm is now over an inch shorter than my right for the wrist to floor measurement. Fitters seem to have a difficult time deciding how to compensate for the discrepancy. I am currently playing 1/2" long and 2 degrees up.

I think that is the beauty behind real fittings now is that the static ideas from the past may not be a standard that should be excepted.

I remember when I first started getting fit static measurements especially from ping reps were the first things done and most of the time clubs were fit to those measurements. I don't remember the last time I have seen a rep from,any company or my local guy do a true static fitting. He has done some to show the customer he isn't pulling his chain. Most of the good fitters around here are using visual ball flight, contact location and club delivery to make adjustments and on,y use a LM as confirmation or to explain to,the customer what's going on

I'm 5'6 and play standard, 1-2* flat even though fitters have told me to go at least 1/4" if not 1/2" short. I guess I'm just used to the weight/size of the longer clubs and my strike is perfectly fine with those. My woods, on the other hand, are all at least 1" short because they become unwieldy and unpredictable at standard lengths.

I'm fairly tall(6-4), with long arms and was fitted for my first set of irons over Christmas. I was fit for a Game Improvement Iron and X100 Stiff flex, which is a relatively odd combination. My fitter really wanted to focus on getting my score down, then going with a better Iron. My then current irons were also Game Improvement, but in stiff and had a 1" extension in them. We decided to go with 1/2" longer and 2* upright. My woods/hybrids I swing 1" over standard.

low spin is bad for me. with many designs going to high launch low spin to maximize distance, it often works against me since i still need some spin to keep the ball in the air.

Outlier on almost all general fitting “rules”. All fittings done by highly regarded professional fitters.

a. +1” for irons so 38” 7 iron but standard lie (effective lie will be +2* due to extra length)

b. Driver shaft is low launch, low spin (Oban Devotion 7 04) in a low spin driver playing at 9.6* (Ping G LST) although driver ss is never above 98mph

c. FW Shaft is an X flex!!! GD Tour AD MJ 7X

Low 90's R swing speed, R flex with a +3* angle of attack, but struggle with launch because of my uber strong grip and forward hand position. I get my best results with 13.5* drivers set to +2. Matter of fact my current driver is a kids Ping 15* with T800 HZRDUS shaft at 44.25".

I was playing sim golf with a buddy and was launching it under 10*. My buddy hit it and was launching it at 19*. Different Strokes for different folks. If I change my hands to a more neutral position its push slice city.

I am average height 5”10”. But my swing speed is above 112 last time I checked. Been experimenting with x flex with good results so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3 and play standard with 1* flat

I’m just shy of 6 foot and play my irons 2 degrees flat. I also play X100 shafts in my irons and x flex in my woods even though my swingspeed is only 106 with a driver. My transistion can get a bit quick!

Back