Is golf getting overly complicated?

Golf is complicated enough for me without even considering numbers. Heck...I wouldn't know what a good launch angle or spin number was if I saw it. I know what a good shot looks like, though, and those are what I chase.

As far as equipent goes, I'm not good enough to worry about needing the latest and greatest. That's a good thing, too. I'm way too cheap to drop $400-$500 bucks on a driver that may get me 5 more yards or keep me another 3* toward the middle.

hybrids , mini drivers, driving irons , chipper ...... makes golf overly complicated ?

I truly do not think golf has become over complicated. Companies have found a way to make money and grow the game through fittings and numbers. Experts taking those numbers and fine tuning the game. But that is where it sold stop.

Golfers take that knowledge and make their own games complicated. I watched it this weekend as I watched two of my buds battle in the match play match. They over thought every shot that didn't involve their putters. In the end, it came down to the flat stick.

We have 14 clubs or allowed 14 clubs. Each plays a roll and a single role for the vast majority of golfers. But we get over shots and all of sudden we want to complicate the shot. When one shot and only one shot is required.

Yes ... very complicated and makes me to over think what stick to use.

Use Fw 5 or iron #5 or iron #4 ??.... lucky I already give my hybrid #5 to my golf friend, and I leave semi hybrid #4 n 5 , Fw 3 at home.

G or A or S or 54 or 58 ?? ..... aarrghh
It's not that hard.

How far do you hit each of those? How far do you want the ball to go? Match them up and swing away.

My biggest concern about the technological aspects of the golf game today, is education. I think it's wonderful that golfers seek out fittings and lessons, but I also think it's very important for pros and fitters to take the time to educate on the why/how vs the simple "do this" teaching method.

There are a lot of ways to swing a golf club, and getting two different lessons or fittings on the same day with the same errors could result in very conflicting resolutions.

My biggest concern about the technological aspects of the golf game today, is education. I think it's wonderful that golfers seek out fittings and lessons, but I also think it's very important for pros and fitters to take the time to educate on the why/how vs the simple "do this" teaching method.

There are a lot of ways to swing a golf club, and getting two different lessons or fittings on the same day with the same errors could result in very conflicting resolutions.
I completely agree. I grew up watching so many swing videos and whatnot, telling what you should do - but not really why. Once I began to understand the why aspects (cough this year cough), it's become so simple.

In my case, understanding the simple physics behind that moment of impact was crucial to improving my golf game, as I never had a nack for natural consistency. The trick for me is controlling how much it does what it does, not why it is doing that.

I think people process things different. For me I can't do all the numbers. They get into my head and will not leave. I used to have an instructor that used all fancy cameras and swing analyzers and would compare my swing and numbers to the PGA tour guys. Well the fact is I will never swing like anyone but me. I have since found an "old eschool" instructor. Believes in posture, alignment and grip above all. Simple and effective. It has really improved my mental game and hopefully it will translate into lower scores.

I think people process things different. For me I can't do all the numbers. They get into my head and will not leave. I used to have an instructor that used all fancy cameras and swing analyzers and would compare my swing and numbers to the PGA tour guys. Well the fact is I will never swing like anyone but me. I have since found an "old eschool" instructor. Believes in posture, alignment and grip above all. Simple and effective. It has really improved my mental game and hopefully it will translate into lower scores.
I feel ya, but just being able to recognize, with proof, my naturally out-to-in swingpath, and angle of attack tendancies, was enough. Maybe not for all, but helped me out a lot. I've also never been able to hit a draw on purpose, now I can. Simplifying the results, for me, helped a lot

I feel ya, but just being able to recognize, with proof, my naturally out-to-in swingpath, and angle of attack tendancies, was enough. Maybe not for all, but helped me out a lot. I've also never been able to hit a draw on purpose, now I can. Simplifying the results, for me, helped a lot

That is what is great about this game, there isn't one right way to do anything and at the end of the day par is par. It doesn't matter how you get there. But for me the path is with video and numbers. It is back to the simple basics and getting comfortable with my own game.

That is what is great about this game, there isn't one right way to do anything and at the end of the day par is par. It doesn't matter how you get there. But for me the path is with video and numbers. It is back to the simple basics and getting comfortable with my own game.
Truth! Every time I play in a tournament, there are young kids there who probably couldn't comprehend any of the numbers, angles, etc. But they are shooting in the 70's, every day. There is some natural knack in golf that I've just never had. Maybe a similar kind of thing that separates pga pro's from mini-tour players. Not that I'll ever be on either, but there is something seemingly natural that seperates many of those players

I completely agree. I grew up watching so many swing videos and whatnot, telling what you should do - but not really why. Once I began to understand the why aspects (cough this year cough), it's become so simple.

In my case, understanding the simple physics behind that moment of impact was crucial to improving my golf game, as I never had a nack for natural consistency. The trick for me is controlling how much it does what it does, not why it is doing that.

Ha ha ha. I'm with you on this. I understood the physics of the golf swing only about a couple of years ago, after 17 years of playing golf.

Still, I'm glad I did what I did and I actually enjoy the game more now than before. It has never bothered me that I may not have the natural knack or the athletic ability that others have, I'm just happy that my swing produces results and I don't have to snap my bra to hit the ball well.

Back