Wilson's New Cut Through Slot Irons

McGregor was bought out by Golfsmith and have scaled way down but they're still releasing their tour series iron and complete sets I've noticed. Sad to see a company with that history and prestige in golf decline like they have.

I agree striker.I remember when Greg Norman bought McGregor. He too had great product but people had moved on to other brands. I think Wilson is different in that they are a solid company and sell a ton in other sports. The company who owns them is very solid as well.
Do you like your WS FG TOUR DRIVER?

I agree striker.I remember when Greg Norman bought McGregor. He too had great product but people had moved on to other brands. I think Wilson is different in that they are a solid company and sell a ton in other sports. The company who owns them is very solid as well.
Do you like your WS FG TOUR DRIVER?
I do. I think it gets a bad rap for the loud sound at impact but in reality it's no different than most. Plus you don't get the drag you would think with a face that deep. The adjustability, the weighting and feel sold me......not to mention distance. You should demo it along with the D 100 which I also own.

I do. I think it gets a bad rap for the loud sound at impact but in reality it's no different than most. Plus you don't get the drag you would think with a face that deep. The adjustability, the weighting and feel sold me......not to mention distance. You should demo it along with the D 100 which I also own.

From having reviewed and played pretty much every driver out right now, I could not disagree more with the bold.

That said, the line is solid. IMO the fairway is the standout of them all, the irons are behind that followed by the driver and hybo.

Looks great, especially for $200.

From having reviewed and played pretty much every driver out right now, I could not disagree more with the bold.

That said, the line is solid. IMO the fairway is the standout of them all, the irons are behind that followed by the driver and hybo.
I bought mine slightly used with the 11 gram weight. The guy lost the other 2. In all seriousness it sounds no louder than my older Cleveland Launcher. I guess some notice it more than others but when I'm focused on the tee it doesn't bother me at all. I'm more focused on just nailing a good drive. A sound at impact is always expected unless you play nerf golf.

I bought mine slightly used with the 11 gram weight. The guy lost the other 2. In all seriousness it sounds no louder than my older Cleveland Launcher. I guess some notice it more than others but when I'm focused on the tee it doesn't bother me at all. I'm more focused on just nailing a good drive. A sound at impact is always expected unless you play nerf golf.

Sound is indeed expected, however the sounds through various drivers does in fact change, most notably if it is more metallic sounding and/or hollow/resonating.

It doesn't bother some, like you, to others though it is a major indicator of the overall feel of the golf club.

It sounds almost identical to an Orimar ATS white knockoff I own. Obviously with the pvd plating it's more of a muted pop. Others think it sounds louder. It has zero bearing on feel as well struck drives feel like butter regardless of sound IMO. Personal preference to me.

JB Sorry I did not understand.What I was trying to say was that with the very positive direction Wilson Staff is going in they would be wise to trust in Wilson's golf products like they do Wilson products in baseball, tennis,volleyball and basketball.
I believe Wilson Staff has developed and produced the best and most complete line of golf products in the industry in 2014.
In irons each of their offerings are awesome.From FG M3,C100,FG100,FGV2 and everything else.When you look at the breath of just the irons it is stunning more dealers don't feature it.
In balls the Duo set the standard that Callaway and others are chasing. FG Tour ball is great too. Vizor Level 2 putters are unique and offer a real technology.
The Nexus bag is a best in class item. Again WS was not afraid to step out and try something different, something better. The black FG Tour wedge is a killer too.
I love iconic brands. I think golf was the loser when brands like McGregor become a house brand. Wilson has the ability and the people in place to compete. I look forward to more customers of all sizes joining the Staff.

While I have enjoyed their stuff and definitely love having them as a partner and sponsor of THP, I just do not see how anybody could call their line (including internally) the most complete in the industry.
Heck, just simply choices in some products leave it as less complete. Whether that be shaft, bounce, loft, etc.

I guess the easier way to say this, is I am not sure I agree with much of it, outside they product quality products.

It sounds almost identical to an Orimar ATS white knockoff I own. Obviously with the pvd plating it's more of a muted pop. Others think it sounds louder. It has zero bearing on feel as well struck drives feel like butter regardless of sound IMO. Personal preference to me.

Bingo. Personal preference.

My statement stands true though that compared to the other drivers I have played/reviewed (Bertha, Bio Cell, XTD, Alpha, SLDR, etc) is is in fact louder. That may not have a bearing on your personal enjoyment of the club, but it is still definitely a more boisterous driver.

Agree with both JB AND JMAN. I don't study this as closely as some. I just know what I like. Also as I have said I just love great brands. Also I have spent some time on the shelf with bad knees.Kinda of just getting back. The golf world changes very quickly.

Agree with both JB AND JMAN. I don't study this as closely as some. I just know what I like. Also as I have said I just love great brands. Also I have spent some time on the shelf with bad knees.Kinda of just getting back. The golf world changes very quickly.

I love great brands too.
Why not enter this for a chance to really explore Wilson Staff like few consumers ever get the chance to.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...rsonalDistance-w-THP-amp-Wilson-Staff-3-amp-4

Anyone ever hit these? Oldest boy just asked tonight for some golf clubs and these can be had for $149 right now.

I did see them at Academy Sports a few weeks ago. They looked pretty nice for that money.I was surprised that the grips were better than just a generic cheap grip Heck, that price is less than a good stand bag.Give him some of your Duos and he is in business.
Anyone ever hit these? Oldest boy just asked tonight for some golf clubs and these can be had for $149 right now.

I hit them into a net, inside. No monitor, so it's hard to say, but my impression was that they were fine. Honestly, I'd go so far as to mildly recommend them to someone who was looking to buy them for a relative just getting into golf as often buying used is too personal of a decision. For $149, what's to lose? You could probably sell them next year for $50 on The List.

Has anyone actually used these irons? I'm a beginner and want to upgrade my hand me downs. I don't want to spend a ton of money considering I only play maybe once a week. Or if these irons are garbage what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a used set of something from a year or two ago imo.

Buy a used set of something from a year or two ago imo.

^^^this guy is wise^^^

So many good deals can be had on last seasons or two season ago irons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Academy Sports has a good price on the W/S D100's right now. Under $300.

Wilson-Staff have made a concerted effort to avoid the big-box stores, as part of their effort to rehabilitate their brand, thus the entry level clubs bearing just the "Wilson" brand.

They know that today's smart consumers are going to seek-out golf specialty shops or shop online anyway, so the Wilson level stuff will remain for the juniors or entry level beginner.

The Wilson-Staff level is more for the serious golfer.

If you get the chance, just Wikipedia Wilson-Staff for the complete history of their rise and fall as a golf industry leader. It is a fascinating read, going back to their heyday, and then the ill-fated company buyout to Pepsi, which almost led to their complete demise.

The phoenix rising from those ashes is the Wilson-Staff you're seeing today....the company is hell-bent on reviving their image with slow-but-sure business and marketing strategies.(sp?)

If you read this you will understand their reluctance to tread deeply into the big-box store arena again.

Im not sure I agree with all of it.

They are in big box stores and have their money maker right now (golf ball) in every place that will take it.
Its not always a brands choice where they are sold completely and while I like to see Wilson do positive things and they are a great partner of THP, I also realistically know that if Dicks calls with a million orders, they dont let it go to voice mail.

Is golf smith not a big box store? That's the only place I ever see Wilson Staff clubs.

Is golf smith not a big box store? That's the only place I ever see Wilson Staff clubs.

They are in a number of GolfSmiths, although not the entire place.
I think by Big Box the poster was speaking of Dicks and Sports Authority.

Dicks is selling Reflex irons, hybrids, drivers, woods and putters. Wonder if this is a line they plan on keeping around.

They look cheapo run of he mill with no name shafts. Definitely low grade irons.

Back