How to maximize your golf budget?

I think with eBay and online golf booking sites it’s easier than ever to play golf on the cheap. I mostly played used clubs and walked twilight rates when I was on a tight budget in my 20’s and 30’s. I also played my first set of irons for 19 years and my next set was a $250 used set of Wilson Staffs from eBay. I guess you could say I was cheap with my spending until we got older and no longer had big bills like car payments. Golf now and other sites offere discounted rates, often under $40 around here.

A lot of people I know under the age of 35 that seem to be big spenders and want everything now. New cars, a new TV, new golf clubs, etc. In California you will see a lot of new BMW’s and Mercedes parked at apartment buildings - much different than where I grew up in the Midwest. I have a 25 year old co-worker who is about a 18 index who spends about $2500 per year on new golf equipment and I told him he was crazy - he should be saving that money for a down payment on a home and/or in his 401k. Of course he just spent $2900 on a new TV for his apartment where he has 4 roommates - spending beyond your means is the American way!

- Callaway Pre-Owned for equipment
- Name Brand Golf Shirts Direct (nbgsd.com) for clothing
- Loyalty rewards programs such as offered by Callaway
- All inclusive golf course memberships. Mine offers for $2100+tax lump sum:
- unlimited golf and cart with GPS weekdays
- free range balls 7 days/week
- GHIN handicap service included
- 40% discount on prepared food in the grill
- 1/2 price draft beers
- 7 day advance tee times vs 5 days for general public
- Golf Now for specials to play other courses on occasion
- Wait for sales/closeouts on golf shoes
- Direct to consumer companies for balls (Snell)

Even aside from counterfeit, the market as it speaks to screaming deals are harder to find now.

Not all that many years ago on ebay, Wilson, Bridgstone, Srixon, Cleveland and Mizuno drivers and woods, didn't sell for all that much relative to the major OEMs.

Used to be able to land some fantastic clubs for a great deal because everyone was chasing the Callaway, TM, Ping, Mizuno (irons), and Titleists of the world.

Now, the other brands have leapt into the collective consciousness of shoppers to where prices are somewhat more in line and more costly across the board.

So it sure is harder today to find great deals compared to yesteryear but it's sure possible yet to score great value relative to the current market.

To that, great idea for a thread to help expand one's options.

Great deals can easily be had on ebay, especially if you are willing to play clubs that are a few years old. I just looked and my 4 year old Wilson Staff V2 irons and Callaway X2 Hot driver can be had used on ebay for $150 and $50 respectively. I just played 3 rounds in Florida with these and didn’t score any differently than I do with my current clubs. New clubs are fun to have but not necessary if you are on a budget. My index would be no higher if I was still playing my Wilson Staff Pi5’s and Ping G2 driver from 12 years ago.

Great deals can easily be had on ebay, especially if you are willing to play clubs that are a few years old. I just looked and my 4 year old Wilson Staff V2 irons and Callaway X2 Hot driver can be had used on ebay for $150 and $50 respectively. I just played 3 rounds in Florida with these and didn’t score any differently than I do with my current clubs. New clubs are fun to have but not necessary if you are on a budget. My index would be no higher if I was still playing my Wilson Staff Pi5’s and Ping G2 driver from 12 years ago.
Absolutely for used, I wasn't clear before as I was thinking along the lines of new.

But yeah, many a newbie friend who was unwilling to get fitted, respectfully tasked me with finding them deals. Happy to oblige. All used, all in great shape, for a fraction the cost of new.

My own son's bag, I put it all together for less than $250, I think it was. The stuff wasn't so old at the time either. TM Rac irons, MacGregor NVG driver and woods, Cleveland RTG wedges, Yes putter.

Even the bag itself, a Sun Mountain stand bag, nearly new, only $40. But he hasn't used any of it, LOL... not even once, so there's that. Golf just never grabbed him despite my hoping.

Absolutely for used, I wasn't clear before as I was thinking along the lines of new.

But yeah, many a newbie friend who was unwilling to get fitted, respectfully tasked me with finding them deals. Happy to oblige. All used, all in great shape, for a fraction the cost of new.

My own son's bag, I put it all together for less than $250, I think it was. The stuff wasn't so old at the time either. TM Rac irons, MacGregor NVG driver and woods, Cleveland RTG wedges, Yes putter.

Even the bag itself, a Sun Mountain stand bag, nearly new, only $40.

Yep, new will cost more but deals can be had for sure with some patience. I bought a “like new” Epic SZ driver last month for $318 from the CPO site and it came with the plastic on the head. My buddy bought a set of Wilson Staff V4 irons new for $250 a couple months ago. I bought 6 pairs of Sketchers golf pants and 5 pairs of their shorts last month from Budget Golf last month for $9.99 pair.

How to maximize your golf budget?

- Callaway Pre-Owned for equipment
- Name Brand Golf Shirts Direct (nbgsd.com) for clothing
- Loyalty rewards programs such as offered by Callaway
- All inclusive golf course memberships. Mine offers for $2100+tax lump sum:
- unlimited golf and cart with GPS weekdays
- free range balls 7 days/week
- GHIN handicap service included
- 40% discount on prepared food in the grill
- 1/2 price draft beers
- 7 day advance tee times vs 5 days for general public
- Golf Now for specials to play other courses on occasion
- Wait for sales/closeouts on golf shoes
- Direct to consumer companies for balls (Snell)

Hadn’t heard of that shirt site before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in my early 30's with a couple kids so I try to golf on the cheap. Got a really good fitting this year and decided to keep just my putter. After trading my old stuff in and club house credit from winnings I am ahead money on a full set and bag minus putter. I belong to a cheaper club. Switched to playing snell MTB's. I figured being frugal now will make golf way more enjoyable down the road.

Lots of good recos in here, thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back