BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Most of the guys running the ceramic Kamado style units report an easy 12+ hours burn time on a load of lump charcoal. Not sure if the insulated steel units can match that but they still have plenty of burn time.

Besides, with Texas in your handle aren't you supposed to buy a welder and build your own smoker?
I can about 14 hours on mine when running at 250

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Most of the guys running the ceramic Kamado style units report an easy 12+ hours burn time on a load of lump charcoal. Not sure if the insulated steel units can match that but they still have plenty of burn time.

Besides, with Texas in your handle aren't you supposed to buy a welder and build your own smoker?

Actually I did take an old small boiler and turn one into a smoker here at work (in Missouri). I'll stick with the traditional stuff for home though. But you bring up a good point.

I have a WSM and a Traegar Pellet grill. The Weber is my smoker at my GF's house and I bought the Traegar for my place (which I am not at during weekends). I get more smoke with my Weber if that is something you're looking for. I'm sure you can add more smoke to a pellet grill if you want that. Pellet smokers are more convenient and easier to keep the temps constant. I just wanted a charcoal smoker which is why I went with the Weber.

Here is a great place to ask questions about smokers and smoking: http://smokingmeat.com

I love my Traeger. I will be cooking another brisket next Friday.

Decided against the pellet grill and went with the Primo Jr 200. Absolutely loving it so far and the family is raving about the food. I've kept it simple so far. First meal was burgers, second was chicken thighs and 2 filets. Came out absolutely perfectly. I'm thinking we're going to do a little smoking this weekend. Got it with the stainless table too, all for less than $1k. Way less than I could find on any deals on line by almost 1/3. Most prices were about $1350.

Put this on this morning
0d3f6bf1c85ecbe0daa3cb34102bfc7f.jpg

Yum!!!

Nice looking cut of meat. Debating a smoker for myself for Christmas since it's frowned upon here to dig a hole and build your own pit.

I cannot wait until I have a house and am able to get a smoker. After spending time at home smoking ribs with my dad, I really wish I could do this. Nothing for me better than low and slow on the smoker

I thought holes in the ground just appear naturally down there:D

I love my smoker/grill.
They do. Darnedest thing is a gator usually crawls in there soon after lol. Or best case it's filled with water 5 months out of the year.

I'm smoking 6 slabs of St. Louis spares today. Using my CyberQ for the first time and loving it.

Nice looking cut of meat. Debating a smoker for myself for Christmas since it's frowned upon here to dig a hole and build your own pit.

I tell you, nothing beats a smoker. Two Christmases ago I did my first Prime Rib since my Mom didn't do one that year (my Dad's health was failing). A $115 expensive piece of meat and I was scared to death of ruining it. Ended up being better than my mom ever did and she is a helluva cook.

This is a maple BBQ recipe I got from a BBQ forum. 3 hours on the pit barrel cooker. Delicious.
185a6759b1767ce1960fdbd49e251b13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time ever smoking, few chicken as a trial run in advance of Thanksgiving turkey. Working well thus far...

4d605a1b49f8402da6e07b922a207413.jpg

Smoked and pulled some chicken breasts I had brining in the fridge. Tossed with a white BBQ sauce and served on a pretz roll with melted Munster. Smoked chicken and white BBQ sauce is serious. I used pecan chips, indirect on my Webber.

Smoked and pulled some chicken breasts I had brining in the fridge. Tossed with a white BBQ sauce and served on a pretz roll with melted Munster. Smoked chicken and white BBQ sauce is serious. I used pecan chips, indirect on my Webber.

Love a good white sauce with chicken.

Wow, that sounds like you know how to cook or something!

Nearly 11 lbs of porky goodness. Brown sugar & salt rub. First time trying something like this. We will see!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446816532.534608.jpg

Last edited:
Nearly 11 lbs of porky goodness. Brown sugar & salt rub. First time trying something like this. We will see!View attachment 22444

That's a good choice for a first time smoke. Just keep your temperature stable and be patient through the plateau.

I'm wanting to smoke a turkey breast this year and I'm seeing a lot of you are smoking your turkeys or turkey breasts this year and I'd like to know the following:

Are you doing whole turkey or breast:
Type of cooker being used:
Brining recipe:
Seasonings or stuffings being used:
Type of fuel and/or flavor of chips:

Nearly 11 lbs of porky goodness. Brown sugar & salt rub. First time trying something like this. We will see!

View attachment 22444

Rob, How did it end up? You can lie to us if you need to. :act-up:

Back