Chamblee Calls DJ's Drive Greatest Shot in History

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
"No, I don’t think so. Hardest thing to do in golf is hit it long and straight, I think DJ’s shot is the greatest shot ever hit in the game."

This was in reference to DJ's drive on the par 4, 433 yard 12th hole at the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Sunday. Thoughts?

I see multiple sides to this. If we're talking a moment, then of course not. Maybe you think of one of Tiger's shots in a major.

But from a technical perspective, I get it. I mean, it was a tap in from 433 yards. Then I start to question that... I kind of wonder... ok it's downhill and seemed to turn toward the green. So, at 433 yards, if you give JT, Rory, Bubba, maybe some others some swings at that, could they too get it on the green? Perhaps. And yes it ended up very close to the hole, but I don't think that's exactly precision.

So never mind the moment side of it, was it the greatest shot from a technical perspective? I think he had one roll across the green another time in that tournament, which to me, lessens the "greatest shot in history" argument because I think he could reach that green again and again.

A certain Par3 at Pebble Beach comes to mind.

I think that drive he hit to put Spieth away last year was just out of this world clutch.

Greatest shot in history? Um, no. I think the greatest shots in history have to involve some significant context. Tiger's chip on 16 in 2005 at Augusta (read: Nike Ball commercial) comes to mind as one of the greatest shots in golf.

Was a heck of a shot but would rank far down the list of the greatest shots in history IMO. I put Bubba and his miraculous GW (or whatever club it was) out of the trees in sudden death to win the Masters much , much higher than that drive.

Was a heck of a shot but would rank far down the list of the greatest shots in history IMO. I put Bubba and his miraculous GW (or whatever club it was) out of the trees in sudden death to win the Masters much , much higher than that drive.

That was another great one.

Greatest shot in history is absolutely asinine. There are a dozen shots in major championships that top that drive any day of the week.

"No, I don’t think so. Hardest thing to do in golf is hit it long and straight, I think DJ’s shot is the greatest shot ever hit in the game."

This was in reference to DJ's drive on the par 4, 433 yard 12th hole at the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Sunday. Thoughts?

I see multiple sides to this. If we're talking a moment, then of course not. Maybe you think of one of Tiger's shots in a major.

But from a technical perspective, I get it. I mean, it was a tap in from 433 yards. Then I start to question that... I kind of wonder... ok it's downhill and seemed to turn toward the green. So, at 433 yards, if you give JT, Rory, Bubba, maybe some others some swings at that, could they too get it on the green? Perhaps. And yes it ended up very close to the hole, but I don't think that's exactly precision.

So never mind the moment side of it, was it the greatest shot from a technical perspective? I think he had one roll across the green another time in that tournament, which to me, lessens the "greatest shot in history" argument because I think he could reach that green again and again.

He's an idiot.

Amazing shot? Absolutely. Greatest shot in the history of golf? Uhhhh, no. Sounds like a typical bombastic Chamblee comment to be honest.

Brandell is such a dumba**

I’m not agreeing with him here, but I can guarantee you if Tiger Hits that shot it’s called the greatest ever by a lot more people

Chamblee is paid to say stuff that gets a reaction. This hyperbole does the trick.

I’m not agreeing with him here, but I can guarantee you if Tiger Hits that shot it’s called the greatest ever by a lot more people

Maybe by a lot more people but they would still be wrong, IMHO.

To win.. at Kapalua? That’s a stretch, IMO. Hit it at the Old Course to win the Open for example, and then you’d have a bit better of a case.

To win.. at Kapalua? That’s a stretch, IMO. Hit it at the Old Course to win the Open for example, and then you’d have a bit better of a case.
Agreed. And he didn't need it to win

I'm a huge Tiger homer but I would never consider it one of the best shots ever. Amazing, great, unbelievable? Yes. One of the greatest? No.

To be the greatest shot, it has to have some element of pressure, and have significant bearing on said tournament. To me, this shot had neither.

Give me Bubba's Masters wedge or Mickelson's escape in 2010 over this shot any day.

Maybe Tom Watson's chip in from the thick stuff in 82

You should read the internet : )
FWIW, the shot doesn't change. The setting might.

The context is removed, he is speaking of the actual shot, not the tournament or where it was done.

It’s definitely a great shot. Greatest? Not really.

Chamblee, please do everyone a favor and just stop talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You should read the internet : )
FWIW, the shot doesn't change. The setting might.

The internet is full of cats and people who think the world is flat. They’re wrong about this being the greatest shot ever too hehe.

The setting is what adds to the greatness, no? Birdie on the 72nd hole of the AT&T Pro-Am doesn’t mean diddly. Birdie on the 72nd hole in the US Open at Pebble? Absolutely different IMO.

The internet is full of cats and people who think the world is flat. They’re wrong about this being the greatest shot ever too hehe.

The setting is what adds to the greatness, no? Birdie on the 72nd hole of the AT&T Pro-Am doesn’t mean diddly. Birdie on the 72nd hole in the US Open at Pebble? Absolutely different IMO.

The context is removed a bit here. He is speaking of the actual shot and yes hitting it long and straight is the hardest right?

greatest shot in golf history? how about a 16 year old kid, on July 17th 1977, hitting a wooden powerbilt 4 wood 227 yards and knocking it in for his first hole-in-one? Hint, that kid would go on to greater glory and be named the first THP Granddaddy MVP (2016)

On the one hand I sort of get what he's trying to say. 99.999% of golfers couldn't hit that shot with a million attempts.

On the other hand it was at a nothing event, and he didn't need it to win.

On the one hand I sort of get what he's trying to say. 99.999% of golfers couldn't hit that shot with a million attempts.

On the other hand it was at a nothing event, and he didn't need it to win.

yes, this I agree with.

The context is removed a bit here. He is speaking of the actual shot and yes hitting it long and straight is the hardest right?

Maybe I’m just numbed to him hitting long drives, especially on a downhill/downwind par 4. I thought the eagle he made the day or two prior on the same hole was just as good, if not better since he hasn’t always been a good wedge player. He’s really turned his game around there the last couple years big time.

I mean, his drive did land in the rough to begin with. Clearly facetwist didn’t help much there! :alien:

Back