How much prep work do you do before a round?

robmypro

Reaction score
So let's say it is your first time playing a course. How much prep work, research, etc. do you do before you get to the course? Are you spending time reviewing the layout of each hole online, or are you the sort of person that just shows up and lets it rip?

I tend to show up and rip. My first round at a new course usually sucks though, so maybe that isnt the right approach lol. First hand knowledge always serves me best, unless I have access to a topographic map of the course.

None until I'm standing on the first tee. It's one shot at a time. Each year I typically play about 45 rounds at my club and another 15 rounds at new courses or courses that I have played only a couple times. 3 of my 5 lowest scores last year wre at away course.

If it's a new course I haven't played then my buddy and I will usually take a peek at the online scorecard and then (of course) start emailing back and forth about which of the par 5's we're going to get home in 2 lol

Other than that I just show up and rip it.

None until I'm standing on the first tee. It's one shot at a time. Each year I typically play about 45 rounds at my club and another 15 rounds at new courses or courses that I have played only a couple times. 3 of my 5 lowest scores last year wre at away course.

I gotta learn how to hunker down like that. Both home and away. Keep it simple, stupid.

I may take a look at the layout if they have something online, but that's about it.
Give me a yardage book, my rangefinder and I am ready to roll.....sort of.

I've learned that all strategy goes out the window when I get going in a round. GPS/Rangefinder is all I need, if even that.

So let's say it is your first time playing a course. How much prep work, research, etc. do you do before you get to the course? Are you spending time reviewing the layout of each hole online, or are you the sort of person that just shows up and lets it rip?

I just show up and go at it, and I hope the course shows up in my GPS.

I follow tips from my caddie , especially tips for the green side before putting.

I tend to research and over think everything prior to the round, gathering as much info as possible. Once I hit my first tee ball OB its all out the window.

I tend to research and over think everything prior to the round, gathering as much info as possible. Once I hit my first tee ball OB its all out the window.
I used to do this. But then it didn't help a damn bit, so now I just fly blind and maybe grab a yardage book before going out. I can still jank my first tee ball into the pond no matter how "prepared" I am haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I just swing away. It's golf, not my work. I tend to prepare a lot on my work, though. I do try to focus and find out where the potential hazards are once the game gets going.

I'll look a scorecard or something but for the most part I play what I see in front of me.

I tend to look at the course layout online before the first round and then look at each hole layout on the tee.

Maybe a quick look at the scorecard online, but other than that just get onto the first tee and give it beans out of bounds on the right.

I just show up and play unless it's a tournament round. Then I get in a practice round.

None. I just show up and play.

I look at the slope and rating and that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just show up and play, hopefully one shot at a time.

None... I don't think there's a course in the U.S. that between my GPS and laser I can't figure out how to play as each hole comes along. Especially if I'm only playing for fun. Sure, if I was a pro golfer, I might do research, but otherwise, I think it's going a little overboard. I'm out to have fun, not be focused on a score. We played three different courses in the East Texas Masters this past April with a bunch of THP'ers and I never bothered to even know what the names of the courses were, let alone research them. Played to my handicap each round, had fun, enjoyed the company. It's golf... I don't need more mind and thought issues when I play.

No prep for me. Show up and play

I download the course to my GolfNow app when I'm pulling in the parking lot. In my rural area, most courses don't even have websites.

I will usually have a quick look at the course using the course explorer option on the Swing by Swing app to get a little bit of an idea, but that is usually forgotten by the time I actually get to the course

Most of the time, I will try to play to what I can see and hope for the best

Get dressed, eat something, double check the directions to the course, show up. Maybe stop for coffee on the way.

A small warm up bucket and then lots of time on the putting green.

Back