Idea ... Live scoreboard and check-in

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Some time ago I had an idea to track/improve slow play.
Idea was to get golfers to "check-in" at each tee, which would track progress around the course and also allow interactions with other golfers/course staff (report incidents, order drinks, post live score updates.)

I extended this to include hole information such as pin placements, distances etc

Anyone know if this exists already?

Think it's a good/bad idea ???
Would you use it ?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Idea ... Live scoreboard and check-in

It’s an interesting idea, use would have to be easy or automatic for most people, tying it into the GPS on a cart would work better for pace of play.

As a phone app it would have to be spectacular and adoption would have to be exceptionally rapid at each course for it to be really useful.

Lots of courses have gps enabled carts that pretty much do all of that. They can even yell at you when the cart goes off the path on CPO days.

None of it is worth it if the cart costs more because of the features. Back before everyone had gps and smart phones it was sort of cool but now it is nothing

Some time ago I had an idea to track/improve slow play.
Idea was to get golfers to "check-in" at each tee, which would track progress around the course and also allow interactions with other golfers/course staff (report incidents, order drinks, post live score updates.)

I extended this to include hole information such as pin placements, distances etc

Anyone know if this exists already?

Think it's a good/bad idea ???
Would you use it ?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea. Like most, there are pros and cons.

The big con I see is that it is what I call an "active" system. It requires action on the part of the golfer/group to make the system work. It makes the group aware of their pace of play, but also creates the potential for problems if enough people "forget" to use it. I've thought it would be more effective to give each group a GPS-equipped transmitter. It would be completely passive - only the rangers/marshals would have to enforce PoP. You would need either an app for smartphones or a fleet of devices that would require deposits so they don't walk away.

Back