Playing on Recently Aerated Greens

Im alright with it as long as they tell me. I usually turn the round into a practice round.

No. I love it when my puts bounce around like a pachinko machine.

How long does it normally take for the sand to get cleaned off?

It's better than being at work.

How long does it normally take for the sand to get cleaned off?

It doesn't "clean off", it settles into the ground and the holes that are made. Depends on the hole size and the quality of sand that is used, but the greens typically take a few days to settle and really back to normal within 2 weeks.

Im alright with it as long as they tell me. I usually turn the round into a practice round.
We're the opposite. I record those rounds. I will gladly take all of the help the USGA will allot me.

It's a necessary evil, so no, I don't share your frustration regarding them. Without it, green conditions would suffer all season long. As long as the course lets me know that they recently aerated when I make a tee time and/or discounts the round, I'm perfectly happy with a 2 putt max. If aeration is done correctly, it shouldn't make that much of a difference for more than 5 days to a week.

Well said! I agree 1000%.

I HATE when nobody says anything when I make my tee time, even more so when I pay full price and get to the first green to find out they just did it. Its almost like a course is screwing me over at that point in my head. if they say it or I know ahead of time i will either not care and turn it into a fun try new things round or find a different course to play on. I dislike the hiding it that some courses do and charge full price, or that the round is not 20% off or at least something to compensate the people that still do decide to play there.

I don't hate when courses get aerated because it has to happen. What pisses me off is when I book a round and I'm never informed about it till I reach the first green.

Today they mentioned this as I was paying that the greens were done yesterday and the back nine was closed for the greens to get done.

It just gives me another excuse for missing an easy putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, it messes with my "normal" putting tempo. However, it's a level playing field because everyone else will still have to putt from them.

There are some fun options, like everyone agreeing to an automatic two-putt when you reach the green unless you're putting for par or birdie, or only making the putt when you're trying to shave off one more stroke.

Aeration day (or week) is also the time when you can attack the flag because the slopes won't have that much of an effect.

Played on aerated greens at the end of August and shot a PB 36 (E) on 9 holes. We settled on a 2-putt max, and I never had to actually pick up. We still took out 2nd putts and I was able to keep the first putts close enough that the second putts were falling.

What seemed to work for me was realizing the greens were going to be slow due to the holes and sand. Any greens that would break right or left on a normal green I played my putt straight at the hole and hit it a bit harder. My hope was that if it was going to bounce off line, hopefully it would stay without the edges of the cup and if I hit it hard enough, that may keep it on a straighter line. Anything that would normally break wasn't breaking so it was a lot easier to go right for the hole instead of playing 3-4 inches left and hoping it actually breaks.

Doesn't bother me. I can't pick and choose when I play so if I want to play, I deal. Necessary evil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found out from the Superintendent's wife that the back 9 was aerated yesterday and the front 9 was being done today. The greens will have open holes when I play on Sunday and they will topdress next week. They had a girls tournament last week so they weren't able to do it when they wanted. I'm not worried about it too much. I'm looking forward to being on the course and spending time with my brother.

It usually bothers me but I played a course the other day (Seneca Hickory Stick) that aerated and sanded the greens and they actually rolled quite nicely. Do all courses use the sand along with the aeration because it seemed to help a little.

For the first week they give a huge discount on the course. Local rule - two putt max. After that, if it hasn't rained much to wash in the sand they putt like you're on broccoli. It's bad enough putting on poa annua greens but then throw the punching into play for additional fun.

And when you have the two putt max rule, you're not supposed to report the round, or you do report the round with every hole played as par + HC.

4-2. Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Principles of The Rules of Golf

If a player does not play a hole or plays it other than under the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies), the score recorded for that hole for handicap purposes must be par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole. This hole score, when recorded, should be preceded by an "X."

For the most part I don't mind. A lot of courses will post signs in the club house for regulars and advise people calling in for tee times, as well as offer cheaper rates. It's necessary and after a couple of weeks or a good rain, they are at least manageable.

However, a few weeks back I took a day off from work to play a course an hour from my house with a buddy. We wanted a day were traffic on the course would be minimal. It would also serve as a little birthday treat for us since our birthday's fall only 6 days apart. I called and made the tee time the week before and we were stoked for our day of golf and off of work. To our dismay, when we showed up we were told that back nine was closed and that the front nine had just been aerated the day before. I made the comment that I wish they would have told us before we burned a vacation day and drove an hour to get here. She just said, "Oh, nobody told you?".... and that was about it. She said sorry and still charged full price. I'd say I'd never go back, but I love the course so I'll just complain about it on the internet instead. HA!

I think we all understand its is necessary to keep the courses in good shape but it always bugs me when they don't give you a heads up about it. I know some courses put their aeration schedule on their site which is fine. I've gone out several times and have been annoyed because no one mentioned aeration.

I guess, I'm still confused about the two putt max. Just play the round and if it results in the index going up, don't complain.

I guess, I'm still confused about the two putt max. Just play the round and if it results in the index going up, don't complain.
If a guy is actively trying to lower his handicap I can see why he'd be frustrated. All the course needs to do is have a notice on their website and make sure anyone booking by phone is aware...its not too much to ask.

If a guy is actively trying to lower his handicap I can see why he'd be frustrated. All the course needs to do is have a notice on their website and make sure anyone booking by phone is aware...its not too much to ask.
That's where I'm torn. From a business standpoint, I can see why courses wouldn't say anything.

If it's aeration season, I kind of believe it's up to the golfer to ask.

That's where I'm torn. From a business standpoint, I can see why courses wouldn't say anything.

If it's aeration season, I kind of believe it's up to the golfer to ask.

Twice I booked a time over the phone (same day), paid full price at the counter, got to the first green to find a hole covered sand box. I never went back to either course because to me that is appalling customer service.

Had I paid a discounted price it's a different story.

I had actually thought about this before I looked for tee times. I knew it was probably close to time for them to be done. As I scheduled the round I got a pop up saying the greens were being done the last two days.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Twice I booked a time over the phone (same day), paid full price at the counter, got to the first green to find a hole covered sand box. I never went back to either course because to me that is appalling customer service.

Had I paid a discounted price it's a different story.
I asked the Texas guys, but do you have seasonal rates up by you? By me, every course has spring and fall rates and they're discount from summer rates partly because of the maintenance that's being done on the grounds.

I asked the Texas guys, but do you have seasonal rates up by you? By me, every course has spring and fall rates and they're discount from summer rates partly because of the maintenance that's being done on the grounds.
We used to but the courses got greedy recently. 95% of the good courses North of the border have summer rates and winter rates with nothing in between. It sucks.

Back