Your best wedge fitting?

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
There are various threads about what driver fitting should go like, and an idea of the launch conditions per SS have been mentioned. To an extent, there are philosophies for irons as well, although usually these are hitting off mats which doesn't replicate course conditions as accurately. Wedge fittings though...not so much. Usually wedges are purchased in sets (2-3), and at $150 a pop, it isn't uncommon for some to drop upwards of $300 without any real fitting.

And it's a bit of a shame because with many OOMs offering different grinds and sole widths it isn't always easy dialing in the right one without some sort of trial and error.

So, for those that have gone through solid fittings for wedges, please share your experience. For those that haven't, do you believe there is a way to go through the process and would it be worth it for OEMs to incur costs in that type of initiative?

I really enjoyed my wedge fitting at Club Champion this past year. Thorough, and covered every aspect.

There are various threads about what driver fitting should go like, and an idea of the launch conditions per SS have been mentioned. To an extent, there are philosophies for irons as well, although usually these are hitting off mats which doesn't replicate course conditions as accurately. Wedge fittings though...not so much. Usually wedges are purchased in sets (2-3), and at $150 a pop, it isn't uncommon for some to drop upwards of $300 without any real fitting.

And it's a bit of a shame because with many OOMs offering different grinds and sole widths it isn't always easy dialing in the right one without some sort of trial and error.

So, for those that have gone through solid fittings for wedges, please share your experience. For those that haven't, do you believe there is a way to go through the process and would it be worth it for OEMs to incur costs in that type of initiative?

Definitely will be interested to see what others think/experienced. For me Ive never had a wedge fitting per se, and would probably be WAY better suited getting wedge lessons. The Cleveland short game clinics were always of interest, but there was never one nearby.

Definitely will be interested to see what others think/experienced. For me Ive never had a wedge fitting per se, and would probably be WAY better suited getting wedge lessons. The Cleveland short game clinics were always of interest, but there was never one nearby.

I know some got assistance during the GD. I can understand not really calling it a true fitting, but it's probably close, no?

I really enjoyed my wedge fitting at Club Champion this past year. Thorough, and covered every aspect.

if this is is another thread, can you link it? my experience at cc for "wedge fitting" was a waste of money. no joke, it was this: "here are some options, take them to the course and tell me what you think. you can hit them on trackman, but the results won't be accurate because trackman can't really pick up wedges very well indoors."

I know some got assistance during the GD. I can understand not really calling it a true fitting, but it's probably close, no?

I think the GD provided a mix for some folks.

A few guys like pringles got short game pointers from Roger in the time he was there, so Id toss that into the Lesson category.

And then I think a few or most of the guys actually hit multiple wedges, grind options during their fitting, putting that into the fitting category.

I think a wedge fitting would be really interesting but that's not offered around our area unfortunately. As much as I use a wedge it would probably be a huge benefit.

i have only done one wedge fitting. it was at a callaway fitting center here in orlando that has since been shut down. we spent most of our time hitting full swings to figure out which grind worked best, then we went to the chipping/sand area for a little bit of short game work. i think the fitter and i had a bit of a breakdown in communication, because that was the opposite of what i wanted. i bought what he recommended, but then went to a different grind and had more success.

i think this is such an underserved area of fitting. my wedges are only a year old and i have no reason to switch them out, but i am interested in going to a couple fitters here in town to test out sm7 vs md4.

if this is is another thread, can you link it? my experience at cc for "wedge fitting" was a waste of money. no joke, it was this: "here are some options, take them to the course and tell me what you think. you can hit them on trackman, but the results won't be accurate because trackman can't really pick up wedges very well indoors."

I dont think I have posted about it yet. It was far more thorough for me. Took swings a standard type of grind. Determined lie angle, had a great conversation about where I play, tried a few more. Tried several with a grind he felt suited me best. Worked on gapping, etc.
I dont need distances, because I dont take full swings with them, so for me it was getting down to the nuts and bolts of how the soles worked. I can gap after the fact if necessary.

And Trackman just doesnt hold a candle to GCQuad indoors.

I dont think I have posted about it yet. It was far more thorough for me. Took swings a standard type of grind. Determined lie angle, had a great conversation about where I play, tried a few more. Tried several with a grind he felt suited me best. Worked on gapping, etc.
I dont need distances, because I dont take full swings with them, so for me it was getting down to the nuts and bolts of how the soles worked. I can gap after the fact if necessary.

i'm assuming the fitting wasn't in florida?

The closest thing I had to wedge fitting was my conversation with Roger Cleveland. We talked a lot about my typical turf conditions and the type of wedge player (shallow/neutral/steep) that I am. We focused on the right bounce and grind to help maximize the type of player I am. I use that conversation to this day when making sure I know what wedges to put in my bag.

i had a fitting, albeit it without any monitors. Buddy of mine that is a fitter decided to have me out to the range and work with me last year on my wedges. Actually still have the wedges in my bag today. Wasn't concentrating on distance but instead focused on feeling and flight. Started with stock shafts and went through a couple wedge specific shafts just to compare flight and spin into a target. What I noticed was that when we took distance out of the equation, confidence is alot easier to come by because your body naturally compensates for the shot it thinks it needs to play. I chunked a few at first and he explained the grinds and how they were supposed to work and after a few swing adjustments I got the ball flying better than before as well consistent. Ended up going with lighter shafts than normal so that it would help with not overswinging the club. Probably ended up hitting about 50 balls that day between all three wedges in the actual fitting.

My best wedge fitting was one of those Titleist Thursdays fitting. We went through a bunch of wedges and grings and gapped them on the Trackman. I then took them on the course and used them to hit shots from different lies etc.

The one I haven't had yet. One of these days I'll find my way to either of the Titleist facilities for a fitting. Other than that i haven't had a wedge fitting. I've always just tested wedges and have a general idea of what I like and bounce I need. I did get some time on the Cleveland wedge analyzer and it confirmed the bounce I was already playing

i'm assuming the fitting wasn't in florida?

This was in Chicago, but I am getting another one done in Orlando soon by them for THP TV.

I had an Edel wedge fitting several years ago. It was definitely eye opening as I had no idea about bounce and grind and how it affects my game at that time. I still play the same specs as I have not found anything appreciably better since the fitting.
The whole process was focused more on short game shots, pitches and chips, what kind of conditions I usually play in, what kind of shots I have difficulty executing.
I did take some near full shots to dial in the gaps as well.

The one I haven't had yet. One of these days I'll find my way to either of the Titleist facilities for a fitting. Other than that i haven't had a wedge fitting. I've always just tested wedges and have a general idea of what I like and bounce I need. I did get some time on the Cleveland wedge analyzer and it confirmed the bounce I was already playing

I saw Christopher Kee mentioned Titleist Thursdays. That seemed to be a great way to interact with wedges and hone in the proper grinds. I think you've gone to a few, but not sure if you have had the opportunity to work on wedges while there.

I saw Christopher Kee mentioned Titleist Thursdays. That seemed to be a great way to interact with wedges and hone in the proper grinds. I think you've gone to a few, but not sure if you have had the opportunity to work on wedges while there.

I did not hit wedges at the ones I’ve gone too. The first one was for the 917 driver and wood release and I focused on the driver plus I already had the sm6 in the bag. The last one was for the 718 irons and again sm6 were in the bag as the sm7 aren’t out til March or April.

I may hit up a Titleist Thursday to mess around with the sm7 but the grinds I have in sm6 work for my game and my last instructor is good with the setup too. I have to goal of getting to one of the two titleist facilities for a fitting. May do two different ones. Get irons/wedges in one for a new release and driver/woods in another for a new release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not had a wedge fitting, but I went to a demo day last year and tried Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway, and Ping wedges. I got to hit off grass. Every vendor did the exact same thing - handed me multiple grinds in two lofts and told me to have at it. When I came back, I sometimes asked for a different grind or model, but not one of them - not one - watched me or asked what my shots did. That said, in about ninety minutes I came away with wedges that work well for me to this day.

Heard that Titleist Regional Fitting Center at Jim McLean Golf Center in Fort Worth is supposed to be really good. Heard it was $100. I haven’t been through one but want to in 2018.

I just posted the following in a thread I started:

UPDATE:

So I went for a fitting that was conducted outdoor on grass with Pro V1s and Trackman. It goes without saying how important fittings are especially when it comes to wedges and wedge grind. If I were to just order them on the fly I would have ordered a 50 F (08), 54 F (14) and 58 K (14). I also would have either gone with standard lie or maybe 1 degree upright and/or -.25 length.

After my fitting, my setup will be a 50 F (08), 54 S (10) and 58 D (08). We measured my current set of irons and the fitter concluded that staying with standard length will flow into my set perfectly. The big shocker to me was that I needed to be 2 degrees flat, which I would never guess in a million years especially because I have a very steep angle of attack.

Trial and error has been the best fitting tool for me IMO. I know what grinds I like based on using a bunch of different kinds, and distances are something again, that I just need trial and error with. Also Roger Cleveland himself told me I have a perfect grip when using a wedge, so...I'll take that.

I recently went through a fitting with my PGA instructor who has a GCQuad unit. It was fascinating, informative and help him dial in what I needed, accentuated by his knowledge of my swing.

The amount of information at contact is great. It not only helped with the fitting, but also to show me what I’m doing with my swing at impact - much better than just words alone.

Best fitting I went through was at the Cleveland Golf HQ in Huntington Beach, CA. It was more about learning my swing style, tendencies and what bounce, grind, etc I should be playing.

I used that info to select my vokey wedges for the event last March which has benefitted my wedge game tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back