Have you tried to teach your wife (gf) to play golf?

I'm hoping the addition of Top Golf in Columbus will get my wife to at least swing a club some. She's mentioned it before, that she may want to give it a shot and I'm hoping that the social atmosphere that Top Golf provides will be a step in that direction. Like others have said though I wouldn't begin to "teach" her other than a few pointers.
I've had her at Top Golf several times, and she does have fun. These were family/friends outings so it wasn't the right time to teach anything. I can see Top Golf becoming something for us once (if) she learns to properly swing.

I tried taking my wife (girlfriend at the time) to the range one time. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't just take her to the course and play. After about 15 minutes she was complaining about hitting the ball and all of that. I tried to help her a little bit, but my knowledge if limited and I didn't want any fights. She hasn't asked me to take her again.

I'm hoping the addition of Top Golf in Columbus will get my wife to at least swing a club some. She's mentioned it before, that she may want to give it a shot and I'm hoping that the social atmosphere that Top Golf provides will be a step in that direction. Like others have said though I wouldn't begin to "teach" her other than a few pointers.

This might be a good idea. Maybe get a few friends together and go up there. That way it can be more of a social thing.

I'm afraid to. She'll start beating all my friends and then I won't have anyone to golf with lol

Seriously though, we've talked a bit about the game and the swing but she's all execution. It just works for her and I'm not about to mess with it. Her best 9s are in the low 40s with one or two 39s sprinkled in when she's actually playing. It's pretty awesome.

My wife is interested in learning and we've actually gone out to the course a couple of times. She has pretty low expectations and I stress to her that it's taken me 20 years to get where I am. I bought her a cheap set of clubs and encourage her to just swing and have fun. She would get bored on the practice green or range so we go on the course, she hits a couple and realizes that she needs to pick up after a couple of tries if we are getting behind.

My wife plays golf with me 1 or 2 times per year and I keep my mouth shut. If I give her advice and it doesn't work out it's my fault...no win situation. She also is ultra-competitive and thinks she should immediately be good and it frustrates her that she's not. Throwing clubs and crying is not a good look, believe me. :alien:

I did teach my wife the very basics and only for about 2 months.
Once she decided she really liked the game, I got her some lessons and the golf beast within her was released.
I leave everything to the pro now to teach her. But, if she asks me a question about something in her swing, I will voice my opinion.
Only if she asks though.

Mine has zero interest in trying so my answer will be no, never.

I didn’t try and teach her but after she showed interest I got her clubs and lessons. Her clubs now sit in the storage closet collecting dust.

I didn’t try and teach her but after she showed interest I got her clubs and lessons. Her clubs now sit in the storage closet collecting dust.

This ^^^ is what I'm afraid of.

I got the clubs (she is a left hander, so imagine putting together a bag of decent women's left handed clubs) and after sitting in our storage closest for several years she gave them away to one of her friends who was also left handed. It was one of those things where if I would have done that to something she had taken the time to collect for me, I would have been on Bobbitt alert.

Oh well.

STOP!!!! Don't do it! Run away.....run far far away. And don't look back.

Don’t get me wrong we would go to the range and played a few times and it was fun but her desire to play faded quick.

itsatrap.jpg

We play mini golf. Sometimes she'll hit balls at the range. But she doesn't have much patience for the game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’m still waiting for my gf to teach me how to golf. She grew up playing the junior circuits with the likes of Christina Kim and whatnot; and then played on scholarship in college. She is now the head golf coach for both the men’s and ladies’ teams at a local community college (in addition to her full time high school teaching job).

While she no longer plays to a low single digit handicap of the past, she routinely shoots 79-83 from the men’s tees after not playing EVER, which means I STILL can’t beat her.

I’m still waiting for my gf to teach me how to golf. She grew up playing the junior circuits with the likes of Christina Kim and whatnot; and then played on scholarship in college. She is now the head golf coach for both the men’s and ladies’ teams at a local community college (in addition to her full time high school teaching job).

While she no longer plays to a low single digit handicap of the past, she routinely shoots 79-83 from the men’s tees after not playing EVER, which means I STILL can’t beat her.

Playing with her was slightly emasculating. At least you can still out-drive her. Lol!

I have managed to get Dawn to the range a couple of times. The first club she picked up was her Mom's 5 wood and she hit the first ball about 175-180 dead straight and fairly high..

She looked me and said, " this is easy, why do you have to practice so much?".

It immediately stopped any notion of me trying to teach her anything about golf.

We tried one round and she doesn't have the patience to play.. Maybe again in a couple of years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My wife likes to play but doesn't play often. Maybe 3 to 5 times a year.

However before even stepping on the course I told her if she couldn't hit the ball 150 yards she would frustrate herself over time. She went to the range with me throughout the year and started hitting wedges until she worked her way up to driver. She did it all on her own with little help from me. The main issue with her is time. She says golf takes too long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nope...that's what the occasional Topgolf night is for.

I did the lessons route and it worked very well for her. We play together all the time now.

Nope. Lessons are the way to go.

Have you tried to teach your wife (gf) to play golf?

I would never want to try and teach my wife. Don’t have the patience for it and I would be cheating her the opportunity to learn the right way. Also, golf is my hobby. It’s my time to get away for a while on my own. She has her own hobbies. I don’t need to be with my spouse 24/7 and she doesn’t need to be with me. This is coming from a couple that will be celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary this coming July. We have been together for 32 years. We started dating in high school exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back