Have you tried to teach your wife (gf) to play golf?

I've taken my wife a handful of times and she was taking to it quite well. When we got pregnant she stopped playing and hasn't picked it up again yet. I asked her to always be mindful of two things:
1) Golf is effing hard. I've been playing seriously for 7-8 years now and I still suck ballz.
2) There's nothing wrong with sucking ballz, we just can't suck ballz slowly.

I've taken my wife a handful of times and she was taking to it quite well. When we got pregnant she stopped playing and hasn't picked it up again yet. I asked her to always be mindful of two things:
1) Golf is effing hard. I've been playing seriously for 7-8 years now and I still suck ballz.
2) There's nothing wrong with sucking ballz, we just can't suck ballz slowly.

Number 2 is the quote of the day.

What do you know about a man who plays golf with his wife?......??????
He has no friends....lol
Just couldn't resist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I stopped pretty quickly.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I’m still waiting for my gf to teach me how to golf. She grew up playing the junior circuits with the likes of Christina Kim and whatnot; and then played on scholarship in college. She is now the head golf coach for both the men’s and ladies’ teams at a local community college (in addition to her full time high school teaching job).

While she no longer plays to a low single digit handicap of the past, she routinely shoots 79-83 from the men’s tees after not playing EVER, which means I STILL can’t beat her.
Wow, sorry dude...but funny.

My wife doesn't make me go shopping, and I don't make her play golf. We have a fantastic relationship.

My wife tried to play once. We decided it's ok if we have different hobbies.

I think this is a bad idea for most. Most of the 'instruction' I see one golfer dude give another is painful to watch because they aren't any good at it. Add the relationship aspects of a husband and wife that others have mentioned and there is LOTS that can go wrong!

Having said that I've done a mix of things with my wife and been successful. She took some lessons and I have given her some instruction myself. Success being defined as:
a). 40 years and counting happily married
b). Enjoy playing golf together whenever we get the chance.

But I think this is very much the exception.

I attribute our success going this route to the following.
1. I am extremely devoted to my wife and wouldn't do anything to hurt her and she is extremely devoted to me.
2. The lessons she got gave her space and the basis to compare my instruction and someone else. She knows I'm pretty good at teaching her.
3. I am one of those crazies that really has studied the game and come from the Butch Harmon mold (not that I am at his level). What I mean is I have a knack for seeing a swing and knowing the one change that will help the most.
4. I've coached other sports for a couple of decades, had some success, and still have a relationship with almost everyone I coached.
5. My wife has also coached a lot and she is athletic. So she understands being on both sides of this equation.

That is A LOT I have going for me and I realize most do not have those advantages.

BTW, true story from another sport.

Ended up teaching my wife to downhill ski. She took a full day lesson at Squaw Valley. I figured at such a prestigious resort and with my wife's athleticism, she'd be good to go the next day. They never got the class off the bunny slope. We both were so disappointed. Next day we spent the morning with me teaching her. It went well except one time I wasn't paying attention and skied right into a huge snow drift. One moment I'm watching my wife and the next it's totally dark and I don't know what happened! We still laugh about that to this day. It worked though. She went on every intermediate slope on the mountain that afternoon.

Did I mention she is a really good athlete?

When we first started dating she expressed interest so we went to the range a couple times. She didn't like it. I've always told her that if she is ever interested I'll support it 100% - only if she takes lessons.

For the time being, golf is my thing - and it works really well for us. She gets at least one night/week of guaranteed quiet time during the season and she gets to sleep in uninterrupted on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings.

I tried to get my wife to play one time and it didnt go too well. She isn't patient enough to play golf. Now with my girls wanting to play, she comes out to the range and occasionally rides in the cart with us.

I have...a long time ago, she played here and there until getting pregnant with my first. Outside of that she putted at LITA and thats it

I showed her this thread last night, she laughed at some of the responses. I'm sure she'd love to, someday, meet some of you guys (especially Roger and Frank). Anyway, she sees the humor as well as the seriousness but is still firm on me teaching her; she won't take lessons and she made that clear, again.

when we first got married, we took lessons together. she was a trooper trying to get involved in something she knew i loved so we could share it together. it was going well. i made a mistake by taking her to play 18 holes on a busy weekend and even though the people they paired us with were super nice, i know it was nerve-wracking for her. she would have stuck with it, but work responsibilities increased then we had kids. she eventually figured out that to get good enough to play 18 holes without holding anybody up, it would take more commitment than she was interested in. honestly, that attitude is what i think makes a lot of people leave this game because it's so hard, and i don't fault anybody for making that decision.

i am in a different situation with my wife for one she is younger than me, I'm 54 and she's not. lol. Her parents are golf fanatics and play almost every day. My MIL really pushed the wife when she was younger to play and had a local Pro interested in teaching her as she thought there was real potential.

The problem is her mother pushed her so much that now she won't play at all. We go to Top Golf in Vegas when there and even though she had not swung a club in quite a few years, she still has a nice swing and makes great contact. I kept telling her I would get her clubs and we won't tell her parents and she says no way as her mom would drive her crazy.

My Wife was never interested in golf. To her, it was just something I did with my friends on weekends. Then one day two years ago, she came home form work and said they were planning a team building exercise and decided on a golf outing. She wanted me to teach her to play ... in two weeks. So, I found a cheap used set of ladies clubs, taught her the basic rules and etiquette, and spent some time at the range teaching her how to judge what clubs to use and when to use them. She ended up having so much fun at that event that she wanted to play more. She was the one who suggested we take lessons last year. She became the one who was always asking if we had time to play on any given weekend. She works from home now, and started mowing the grass last summer on week days so we'd have more free time to golf on weekends (takes about 4 hours to cut everything at our place). She was even the one who suggested that we buy new clubs. She found a Callaway Solaire complete set that she liked, and the obvious improvement in her game with them actually inspired me to get new clubs, too. She's even been suggesting we might consider getting a membership at a local country club.

She's my new golfing buddy.

My wife used to bug me nonstop to teach her how to play. When I was traveling alot for work, when I got home I wanted to go out and play with my buddies. She thought if I taught her to play, we could spend more time together. So I bought her some clubs, showed her a few things at the house, then took her to the range. It was a trainwreck. She wouldn't listen to a word I said. She kept saying " I can't swing like that! I have boobs!" Frustrating.

Couple days later, I came home from work and told her to grab her clubs, we're going to the range. She said " Nah, golf is your thing." That was 5 years ago, and she hasn't touched those clubs since. But, she also won't let me get rid of them. Go figure.

Wife had bad scoliosis, so has a steel rod and fused spine, so golf is not an option, which I am more than ok with. Probably wouldn't be her thing anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, I have tried to get my GF to play golf. Started her out with a cheap Top Flight set, just to see if she would like it. She loves golf! So, we upgraded her to a slightly more expensive set of Cobry Fly-Z HL. While I can't get her to go to the range. She does ok out on the course. Her tee game is the best. Putting/chipping not so much.

Back