Long Rang Shooting

skeeks03

Reaction score
Handicap
I am actually a professional long range shooter when I am not golfing. I spent time in the military where I acquired some marksmanship training but it really took off once I got out and met my mentor/instructor who is much better than I am. I shoot competitions all over the nation. We shoot anywhere from 10 yards to a mile (1760 yards). Its a ton of fun! The type of shooting we do is typically military or law enforcement type situation under the stress of time with movement.
Here's an example of the type of shooting we do. This was 8 shots- 2 from each position with a 2 minute time limit. The target was an 8" piece of steel at ~560 yards. I got 6 hits out of 8 shots fired on this particular stage. [video=youtube;plikHO-RZ1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plikHO-RZ1s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Very cool! I'd love to get into it.

Pretty cool.

That would be a ton of fun. Is that an 8 round capacity bolt action???? I didn't see you reloading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

95a1d0b75fa4cdac19f9866e70aaf129.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That would be a ton of fun. Is that an 8 round capacity bolt action???? I didn't see you reloading.

Its actually an 10 round magazine (I can fit 11 in mine due to the caliber I shoot).

It is a ton of fun, but is very expensive (like golf) to get going. My rifle cost more than most full expensive bags. Sometimes when I'm golfing I can't help but think "man this would be a really nice gun range" lol.

Lol. That's funny

My dad used to be really into competition marksmanship. It is amazing what it takes. Watching him get get strapped into this sticky coat and harness was crazy.

My dad used to be really into competition marksmanship. It is amazing what it takes. Watching him get get strapped into this sticky coat and harness was crazy.

That stuff is pretty cool. We are more on the "tactical" side of things.

This is an exert from the main page: Most matches are set up to shoot anywhere from 10 yards to well over 1000 yards, it just depends on the venue. The PRS continues to encourage MD's to run realistic, practical based scenarios and stages that Law Enforcement, Military and Long Range Hunters can relate to and that offers great real world experience and training in doing so. There is some physical activity involved, often movement from stage to stage or different shooting positions under time limits push the shooters to make accurate shots under forms of stress.

Picture from our match last weekend!
12002965_800047976079_4416201475805733339_n_zpsu5frx3wh.jpg

Attachments

• 12002965_800047976079_4416201475805733339_n.jpg
    12002965_800047976079_4416201475805733339_n.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
Looks like fun. What are you shooting? 260, 308, 30-06?

Thank you for your service!

3506312_2011723194551.jpg
I've done a little long range shooting myself.

Thank you for your service!!

I'll be out in Montana visiting my father in law in 10 days and we will be doing some long range shooting. He was a sharp shooter in Vietnam and is quite the gun collector with over 700 long guns. He's got 250 acres 45 miles outside of Bozeman so there is plenty of room to shoot. My son and I are looking forward to shooting all the different firearms he has including a .50 cal and this Nemo Arms 300 Win Mag.

The good ole' .50's are fun but most people who own long guns will never use them to their full extent.

I have a good friend thats from Bozeman here in Oklahoma. He's headed up that way soon as well. I wouldn't be at all surpised if he knew of your father in law. Good luck on your hunt.

This is something I want to get into. I'm working on handguns right now, long rifles are next.

Awesome! I love long-range shooting. One rifle that continually surprises me at range is my beloved M1 Garand with open sights. Dialed in, it makes hitting steel at 500 yards a piece of cake.

OP: interested in more details/specs of your setup? Optics, rifle & accessories, etc if you don't mind sharing.

Awesome! I love long-range shooting. One rifle that continually surprises me at range is my beloved M1 Garand with open sights. Dialed in, it makes hitting steel at 500 yards a piece of cake.

OP: interested in more details/specs of your setup? Optics, rifle & accessories, etc if you don't mind sharing.

My rifle specs:
Action: Badger Ordnance M2013 action (melonited)
Trigger: Jewell trigger (set around 10 ounces)
Barrel:Broughton barrel 1:8 twist threaded for a suppressor
Stock: Manners T4a stock with American Precision Arms DBM (I run AW mags- double stack 10 rounders)
Suppressor: Advanced Armament Co. 7.62-SD
Opitc: Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 with G2 reticle will soon switch to either Vortex gen 2 Razor or Leupold Mk6
Accessories: Harris bipod, Skid pad (can't remember who makes it), dip and paint work done by Demon Tactical out of Virginia Beach, Short Action Precision Sling, TAB Gear rear bag, home made pump pillow and forend bag, Eberlestock X3 Lowdrag pack. The list goes on and on and on for accessories.

Rifle was built by American Precision Arms. They build a fantastic shooting rifle. Now I have all my work done locally by a smith named Matt Perry who owns Perry Custom Guns. Its currently chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, but the barrel is almost shot out. Its got about 4,000 rounds on it. After the barrel is done for I'm going to have Mr. Perry spin me up a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel and shoot it for the next year.

IMG_8052_zpscghwjzhx.jpg
IMG_7871_zpsb5rxwbox.jpg

This is something I want to get into. I'm working on handguns right now, long rifles are next.

Its a lot of fun. I dealt with and shot pistols more than I'd like to when I was in the service. I shot a couple matches but that was toward the end of my military days and the long range bug had bitten. I'm stuck now and my glock rarely sees the lite of day. Pistols, like bolt, guns are all about the fundamentals. Do the fundamentals well and you'll shoot well, forget just one of the simple things in the fundamentals (reset, sight picture, breathing, follow through, grip, etc. etc. etc.) and it can go haywire reallllll quick.

Back