DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen it was a great time yesterday playing with you all - honestly for me one of the most fun days on, or off, the course that I can recall.

A big thank you to both Rob (CAA_Beat) and Kevin (T2GRN18) for letting me roll, and roll with, their respective W/S flatsticks. I gave each a fair shot and putted well with both, including a 1-100 birdie putt on par 3 #3. And thanks again to Kevin for getting all this organized.

Had a great time playing in my foursome with MizunoFan, CAA_Beat, and MDGolfHacker. I'll tee it up with you guys anytime! Sorry I couldn't get around and spend more time with the rest of the group, though.

Lastly, the sunset six-some really iced the cake. The missus gave me a double-ration of s#!t when I got home, but it was a trade-off I wouldn't hesitate to make again.

Wow fantastic time for my first THP event! We started as a 4some for the first hole with Kevin and his son and Bigball and myself in the other cart. G$$$ made it from points south as we finished #1 and caught us on the 3rd tee.... we played as a 3some the rest of the way. I hadn't played Whickey Creek for a couple of years and the course was in pretty nice shape, however, as with most day courses the greens were covered with unrepaired ball marks but overall they rolled pretty well. The most fun was the 2 man scramble as the sun was fading.....Mizunofan and I played well (to be honest we've played as a team before :bashful:) Playing our 3rd shots into 18 in almost complete darkness really heightens your focus especially after the cold ones in the club house.

It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to getting back on the course with you guys as soon as possible!

Thanks for putting this together!

All the best,

Bob (Diveguy)

I would also like to state the our gathering was a complete success. Had a great time with everyone involved. Couldn't ask for a better group of guys to play golf with. Can't wait until we are able to do something like this again. As always, playing golf with THPers is something special!!!

Just a few words about the foursome I played with...

John, just hit your three wood. If I could hit my 3 wood like that I would break my driver on purpose!!! It was a pleasure watching! On another note, does Rob ever miss a 4 foot putt? Amazing!! Jose, I know you don't get to play a lot of golf with your young kids but you should, you got a great swing and hit some outstanding shots.

Again, it was honor to play in our group.... Thanks!!!

Wow fantastic time for my first THP event! We started as a 4some for the first hole with Kevin and his son and Bigball and myself in the other cart. G$$$ made it from points south as we finished #1 and caught us on the 3rd tee.... we played as a 3some the rest of the way. I hadn't played Whickey Creek for a couple of years and the course was in pretty nice shape, however, as with most day courses the greens were covered with unrepaired ball marks but overall they rolled pretty well. The most fun was the 2 man scramble as the sun was fading.....Mizunofan and I played well (to be honest we've played as a team before :bashful:) Playing our 3rd shots into 18 in almost complete darkness really heightens your focus especially after the cold ones in the club house.

It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to getting back on the course with you guys as soon as possible!

Thanks for putting this together!

All the best,

Bob (Diveguy)

Hope you'll stick around the site Bob! ( not sure where I got Mike from lol! )

DiveGuy. So glad you enjoyed your first THP get together. Really enjoyed talking with you afterward.

As we talked about. I look forward to doing it again, and the other invite for the group to your club sounds like a great idea and worth the drive.

As good as these local gatherings are, I hope you get a chance try and make it to an official event next year. They are really something special.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike. Yeah the SeeMore was pretty solid yesterday.

I may have made the short ones. But definitely had some poor reads on a long one or two.

Really enjoyed our group a lot.

Let me echo what others have said, yesterday was fantastic. While 18 holes with good friends was great as usual, the 19th hole with the group was special as well. If the Redskins can win in the last minutes, it had to be a special day all around.

While I hate winter from the "get-go", I find it depressing that its late October and winter is just around the corner. After yesterday's fantastic day, I'm hating it even more because it reduces our opportunity for a get together. Accordingly, I was wondering what our winter pain threshold may be. Personally, if at some point during the day, the temperature will reach 45 to 50 degrees, I start thinking about a round. Its not so much the temperature but the wind. I can dress for the cold, but the wind will go right through ya. For what it may be worth, often the temperature in Ocean City can be 10 degrees warmer than on the mainland and it gets very little snow.

While I hate winter from the "get-go", I find it depressing that its late October and winter is just around the corner. After yesterday's fantastic day, I'm hating it even more because it reduces our opportunity for a get together. Accordingly, I was wondering what our winter pain threshold may be. Personally, if at some point during the day, the temperature will reach 45 to 50 degrees, I start thinking about a round. Its not so much the temperature but the wind. I can dress for the cold, but the wind will go right through ya. For what it may be worth, often the temperature in Ocean City can be 10 degrees warmer than on the mainland and it gets very little snow.

Bob and I play in that weather as long as the wind is in the 10 MPH range. It's the weather forecasting that makes it hard to set up!!

UVAwahoo I'm with you on winter.

As for the Temps. You pretty much nailed it. It's all about the wind and to some extent out cover.

For example a 40 degree day with sun and no wind is pretty doable in my book.

Yet mid 50's cloudy and windy is brutal.

I know some of us, myself included insinuated that yesterday might be the last round of the year.

However show me a sunny day in late November near 70 and I will be leading the charge.

Probably much like the one I missed yesterday when everyone sprinted out for the free sundown play.

Probably much like the one I missed yesterday when everyone sprinted out for the free sundown play.

That was something to behold. Any bystanders who may have been present must have thought that the clubhouse was on fire, as fast as we got out of there and back to our cars to grab our sticks.

Bob and I play in that weather as long as the wind is in the 10 MPH range. It's the weather forecasting that makes it hard to set up!!

Yea, I play year round. If there isn't snow on the ground, we are playing unless it is just ridiculous. A few years back, me and 2 friends played Pilgrims Oak. When we teed off it was 16'. By hole # 9 it started to snow and was a whopping 19 degrees - but there was 0 wind. By the time we were done there was 2+ inches of snow already. On a par 3, my one friend made a "snow" tee! Usually in the winter, the group I play with will start our "southern" swing - Queenstown, renditions, Swan, etc - saves us a degree or 2!

UVAwahoo I'm with you on winter.

As for the Temps. You pretty much nailed it. It's all about the wind and to some extent out cover.

For example a 40 degree day with sun and no wind is pretty doable in my book.

Yet mid 50's cloudy and windy is brutal.

I know some of us, myself included insinuated that yesterday might be the last round of the year.

However show me a sunny day in late November near 70 and I will be leading the charge.

Rob

I remember saying to the guys that Rob is going to wonder wth happened when he came out of the bathroom! I think Mizunofan ran a 4.2 getting to the pro shop when free golf was bandied about!

40* is about my limit. Everything to that point is wind dependent...too much and I'm not going

That was something to behold. Any bystanders who may have been present must have thought that the clubhouse was on fire, as fast as we got out of there and back to our cars to grab our sticks.

Rob

I remember saying to the guys that Rob is going to wonder wth happened when he came out of the bathroom! I think Mizunofan ran a 4.2 getting to the pro shop when free golf was bandied about!

I'm serious, I went into the restaurant and there were five guys sitting around with beers in hand. I came out not 2 or 3 minutes later and the table was empty, the waiter was busing it and i didn't see one of you in site. Until Wahoo told me about the free play. Then as I was leaving, seeing the six guys walking buy carrying your bags on your backs....seriously that could have been the scene out of a commercial.

Not me, but that's only because my carry strap broke that morning :D

40* is about my limit. Everything to that point is wind dependent...too much and I'm not going

Considering all those blizzards you survived I would think a little cold weather is nothing.

Considering all those blizzards you survived I would think a little cold weather is nothing.

Not an issue...I just like feeling the club and not have to wear big winter gloves to play...plus thin shots in cold is no bueno.

I got an e-mail from Whiskey Creek this morning in order to participate in a survey. It asked for my comments. I said it was a great venue that I really enjoyed. I suggested that perhaps they could show a blended blue/white tee on the score card. I also suggested that perhaps they should lower their fee a bit as well.

(Edit). Just got another e-mail from Whiskey Creek. Off season rates start Nov.1: Before 1pm-$79 after 1pm $59

Last edited:
I got an e-mail from Whiskey Creek this morning in order to participate in a survey. It asked for my comments. I said it was a great venue that I really enjoyed. I suggested that perhaps they could show a blended blue/white tee on the score card. I also suggested that perhaps they should lower their fee a bit as well.

(Edit). Just got another e-mail from Whiskey Creek. Off season rates start Nov.1: Before 1pm-$79 after 1pm $59
Ha ha. I got the same two emails and was going to post that we played a week too early. Next Sunday is $79 And the Redskins have a Bye..... HMMMMH

I got that too and was fairly critical of the conditions of the ball marks on the greens and not raking the bunkers. No doubt the condition of the bunkers didn't bother you because you never see them anyway :p

I got that too and was fairly critical of the conditions of the ball marks on the greens and not raking the bunkers. No doubt the condition of the bunkers didn't bother you because you never see them anyway :p

Actually, a couple of bunkers did me in. My BAS (bunker avoidance shot) failed me. I wrote the USGA in an effort to have sand bunkers considered ground under repair, but they have not gotten back to me and such was not discussed regarding the new rules on the Golf Channel.

Ha ha. I got the same two emails and was going to post that we played a week too early. Next Sunday is $79 And the Redskins have a Bye..... HMMMMH

When you say "HMMMMH", does that mean you are considering something this coming Sunday.

Actually, a couple of bunkers did me in. My BAS (bunker avoidance shot) failed me. I wrote the USGA in an effort to have sand bunkers considered ground under repair, but they have not gotten back to me and such was not discussed regarding the new rules on the Golf Channel.
Somewhere Dustin Johnson is giving you a ?

I got the same one John. Basically told them layout wise it's hard to find a better course, but the price for the conditions of the greens, ( and I also found quite a few holes where the fairways still had aerations holes in them ) etc was high. To me, at 105.00 dollars, the course had better be pristine. 79.00 would make it easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back