Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrid - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review is the new EX9 hybrid offering from Tour Edge for their Exotics line of clubs. The big news with this release is the addition of variable face thickness to their cup-face technology (which they truly hand their hat on with all of the Exotics lines) as well as the "Power Grid" channel and most noticeably the "Slip Stream Sole" which until now had only been seen in one prior release (CB Pro) which was limited edition. The idea here is to provide extreme playability from ALL lies and interactions while pairing it with a high launching Recoil 670 shaft to also maximize launch and distance parameters for golfers across the spectrum rather than just the lowest handicaps.

THP was sent the 3hy 19* setup with stiff flex Recoil for review, and as always with the TEE releases, its a really solid looking club. The footprint is a little larger than we have seen with some of their other recent hybrids, particularly in the rounded toe region, but it sets up really well behind the ball and the face profile really LOOKS like its going to be able to get the ball up from a ton of different places. Will really be fun to dive into this one and see just what we are dealing with in overall playabilty.

The EX9 has an MSRP of $159.99

Information on the EX9 Hybrid from Tour Edge:

The EX9 hybrid features the superior forgiveness of previous models combined with Exotics industry-leading technology - SlipStream sole, cup face, combo brazing - in a classic hybrid style.

The EX9 hybrid’s technology story begins with a maraging steel cup face with updated/improved Variable Face Thickness (VFT). The thin and thick compartments on the face are strategically positioned for optimal forgiveness in preparation for off-center hits. The VFT face is combo brazed with a heavier hyper-steel body to make the EX9 hybrid easy to hit from any lie.

The EX9 SlipStream sole features shorter ‘waves’ from front to back, dramatically reducing the amount of turf interaction – the result is a full-speed explosive impact. The heavier sole also positions the center of gravity lower in the head to help players launch the ball out of any turf condition. The center of gravity position combined with the innovative design of the Exotics SlipStream sole delivers legendary Exotics distance.

Creating the ultimate ball speed generator, the Power Grid has been reengineered deeper and much more narrow to increase the spring effect across all areas of the face. Notches along the back edge of the Power Grid provide thinner spots specifically designed to increase the rebound at impact for faster ball speed.

techlayer.jpg

Design Highlights:
  • Maraging steel cup face with Variable Face Thickness technology delivers Exotics explosive power
  • SlipStream sole dramatically reduces turf interation through impact for superior launch speed
  • Reengineered Power Grid delivers more flexibility behind the cup face, leading to faster ball speed off the face
  • Center of gravity position launches the ball on a higher trajectory from any lie
  • Powered by UST Mamiya Recoil shafts

Specifications:

MODELLOFTLIEGRAPHITE LENGTHFACE ANGLEFLEXHEAD VOLUME
#2 HYBRID17°58°40.75"SQUAREL,A,R,S,X123CC
#3 HYBRID19°58.5°40.25"SQUAREL,A,R,S,X123CC
#4 HYBRID22°59°39.75"SQUAREL,A,R,S,X122CC
#5 HYBRID25°59.5°39.25"SQUAREL,A,R,S,X121CC
#6 HYBRID28°60°38.75"SQUAREL,A,R,S,X120CC

• Available in men's and women's right hand. Lengths listed are men's standard. Ladies standard lengths are -1" from men's standard. Standard grip is Lamkin Exotics UTx grip.

MODEL
FLEXWEIGHTLAUNCHTORQUE
UST MAMIYA RECOIL 450 F1L52gHIGH4.4
UST MAMIYA RECOIL 460 F2A63gHIGH5.2
UST MAMIYA RECOIL 460 F3R65gMID/HIGH5.1
UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4S78gMID/HIGH4.1
UST MAMIYA RECOIL 680 F5X84gMID/HIGH3.8

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0267-XL.jpg

DSC_0268-XL.jpg

DSC_0269-XL.jpg

DSC_0270-XL.jpg

DSC_0271-XL.jpg

DSC_0272-XL.jpg

DSC_0273-XL.jpg

DSC_0274-XL.jpg

DSC_0275-XL.jpg

DSC_0276-XL.jpg

DSC_0278-XL.jpg

DSC_0277-XL.jpg

DSC_0279-XL.jpg

DSC_0283-XL.jpg

DSC_0281-XL.jpg

Did you get a chance to hit the slip stream sole the prior year or will this be your introduction into the technology? Excited to see your opinion on it, as this looks to be a little more affordable than that limited release.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There is a ton that I like about this hybrid just from the pictures, information and price. Wow

Wow,good price point for a awesome shaft and tech. I like the look of these, like a small fairway.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

A little larger than what I typically look for but its a great looking shape.

• Staff
Yeah, I figured we would see a lot of price comments, for TEE its an unheard of starting price point and imo something they need.

Yeah, I figured we would see a lot of price comments, for TEE its an unheard of starting price point and imo something they need.

It's the rock and hard place scenario. Lowering the price makes some say screw it it's worth the investment. But it can also make some think "man these are cheap they can't be as good as the other big name clubs". Not saying I think that, just stating I'm sure some do

• Staff
It's the rock and hard place scenario. Lowering the price makes some say screw it it's worth the investment. But it can also make some think "man these are cheap they can't be as good as the other big name clubs". Not saying I think that, just stating I'm sure some do
It is to an extent for sure, but not like other oems face imo just because TEE has always been on the EXTREME high end of the spectrum, especially with their fairways. But, if this performs like I'm sure it will, its a super savvy move for them, especially since they are still differentiated from "low" end by their standard tour edge releases.

Love these golf discussions!

It is to an extent for sure, but not like other oems face imo just because TEE has always been on the EXTREME high end of the spectrum, especially with their fairways. But, if this performs like I'm sure it will, its a super savvy move for them, especially since they are still differentiated from "low" end by their standard tour edge releases.

Love these golf discussions!

Wilson Staff infinite putter line in a good example. WS is making a great push to separate Wilson Staff from Wilson and is really releasing some great equipment, including the putters. But when someone walks in and sees Wilson Staff and a putter for $99 rarely do they think "great product at a great price".

This is probably discussion for another thread so I'll bring this back to the club at topic. The sole of this club reminds me of this classic for some reason
e870b960ca29c6b2831f6389aeb37bfa.jpg

First thing I thought of when they released the first version last year, but I see putters in everything lol

I like this shape in a hybrid much than the square toe madness that seems to be taking over the other new releases.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I like this shape in a hybrid much than the square toe madness that seems to be taking over the other new releases.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Yeah, there is definitely a BIG trend towards the square toe since the Adams patent has lapsed (I believe).

I agree, its good to see someone still going with a non square look, something for everyone for sure!

Great looking club, and a great price as well.

Just trying to get a better understanding of the size is it like a G30? Really like the idea of a hybrid without the square toe.

Nice looking club and a great price point for T.E.E. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Beautiful looking hybrid and really the whole E9 woods lineup.

The new TEE fairway and hybrid are solidly on my radar with these lower prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not to derail this particular thread but since it was mentioned what what the performance advantage of the square toe type hybrid shape ?

This looks like one I can dig and hit

I usually like a little boxier look, but this looks pretty good to me.

Really like the looks of this hybrid, curious about that recoil shaft......

Wow love the looks and the fact that it appears larger really has me intrigued. And the price?!?! really from TEE? I am in for that!

Not to derail this particular thread but since it was mentioned what what the performance advantage of the square toe type hybrid shape ?

Just from what I have noticed, square type toe hybrids, for me, are not nearly as prone to hard draws / hooks. That's just my experience - take it fwiw!

I love that recoil shaft. I like the look of the head on these. Can't wait to hear/see more

Back