Setting up a home simulator for golf

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Good evening,
Ever since the birth of my third child I've had the idea of setting up a home golf simulator and wanted to know if anyone has gone down this path. I know there are very expensive units out that many of us cannot justify (Foresight GC2/GC Quad, Trackman, Flightscope, etc.) With newer, more affordable options, I'm surprised more aren't setting something up. I've practiced strike/contact into a hitting net but not getting to see the flight I never know if I'm truly hitting it well. I've experimented with a Skytrak unit at the range and was very impressed. The flights I saw on the range matched what the software showed on the iPad. Right now it is too cold for outdoor ranges in the northeast. My plan is to set up a Skytrak with an existing hitting net and mat and just set the iPad on a stand so that I can hit, then watch the shot. It will give me a simple 'virtual golf range' that I can set up in my garage with a propane heater running to keep practicing through the frozen months. In time I want to add a projector and software to play virtual courses but I plan to start small with just the range concept. Has anyone done this? Are there any pitfalls I should know about? Is there anything that has prevented you from doing something similar?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I started out with an optishot years ago and quickly found out that is basically just a toy. I set up a hitting bay with screen and projector in my shop, but never used it because of the poor results from the optishot. I finally pulled the trigger on a skytrak a few weeks ago. So far so good! I did buy TGC right away because after banging balls at the range for awhile you will want something more. Between the skytrak, TCG, and a new laptop.(Acer helios 300 predator, perfect for games) It got expensive but should keep me swinging a lot over the winter and shave some strokes off the game.

I’ve done some research myself but haven’t built one but it seems like skytrak is the best option. Full setup can stay under $3k when all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done some of the homework, but don't have a good space to set anything up at the moment.

I'll definitely be going the Skytrak route when I have the room.

My dad and I did one in his basement with SkyTrak a couple years ago. Works quite well. Maybe I’ll get a thread up here one of these days with some pictures.

I am planning to build with Skytrak as well. For those who did and went with the TGC software, how does the virtual golf experience? I've heard a lot like it but putting is tricky. I was planning to do the one time cost for that software as opposed to the annual subscription. Is that the way you went?

I have a great, long media room and I’ve been building it up into a pretty cool simulator area. I have a pc, projector, high impact screen with a stand that I built and a lot of space. I just sold my P3Pro Swing and I am about to pull the trigger on a SkyTrak since it’s in my price range. As soon as it’s up and running I’ll post about it. I did do a lot of research about the DIY aspect and it shaved off a lot of $$ as opposed to buying a simulator package in the 5 digit area.

I have a great, long media room and I’ve been building it up into a pretty cool simulator area. I have a pc, projector, high impact screen with a stand that I built and a lot of space. I just sold my P3Pro Swing and I am about to pull the trigger on a SkyTrak since it’s in my price range. As soon as it’s up and running I’ll post about it. I did do a lot of research about the DIY aspect and it shaved off a lot of $$ as opposed to buying a simulator package in the 5 digit area.

I look forward to reading about your setup and taking any ideas you have to share!

I am planning to build with Skytrak as well. For those who did and went with the TGC software, how does the virtual golf experience? I've heard a lot like it but putting is tricky. I was planning to do the one time cost for that software as opposed to the annual subscription. Is that the way you went?

A friend of mine have this setup with the TGC setup and I have played it quite often. I would say that the playing experience is very good. Putting is a bit tricky, but I do believe that that is the same for most simulators and software and it is most due to that it is hard to read greens and get the feeling for distance. after some putting I would say that you will get used to it. It is also possible to set gimmie range.

Whatever you do don't skimp on the mat you will be hitting off. Your elbows will thank you. If my condo didn't have 8 foot ceilings I would have one already.

TGC is good. Tons of courses, real and made up. Putting I think is hard to get perfect with any SIM, it’s not bad on TGC. Think we set gimmies to 6 or 8 feet.

I haven't played TGC (yet), but anytime we're playing E6 (regardless of the launch monitor / detector setup) we don't put and let the sim determine putting.

Pitching, chipping, and the short game stuff is wonky enough since you're hitting from a flat perfect lie. I don't want to get "dialed in" simulator putting over the winter. I'll stick to the carpet.

This also has the fun side effect of being able to complain about / celebrate when the simulator arbitrarily chooses when you make long putts or 3 putt.

I look forward to reading about your setup and taking any ideas you have to share!

Just bought the SkyTrak Tee Up package today through PGA Superstore since they still had the $300 off promotion. Can’t wait to get it and set it up! As soon as I do I’ll post some pics.

The indoor league I play in is a ball striking league, meaning we don't putt. The hole score is based on proximity of your approach shot to the green. 1 putt inside 10 feet, 2 putt 10.1 to 30, 3 putt outside of 30.
Might be worth looking to see if the TGC software offers that option.

Good evening,
Ever since the birth of my third child I've had the idea of setting up a home golf simulator and wanted to know if anyone has gone down this path. I know there are very expensive units out that many of us cannot justify (Foresight GC2/GC Quad, Trackman, Flightscope, etc.) With newer, more affordable options, I'm surprised more aren't setting something up. I've practiced strike/contact into a hitting net but not getting to see the flight I never know if I'm truly hitting it well. I've experimented with a Skytrak unit at the range and was very impressed. The flights I saw on the range matched what the software showed on the iPad. Right now it is too cold for outdoor ranges in the northeast. My plan is to set up a Skytrak with an existing hitting net and mat and just set the iPad on a stand so that I can hit, then watch the shot. It will give me a simple 'virtual golf range' that I can set up in my garage with a propane heater running to keep practicing through the frozen months. In time I want to add a projector and software to play virtual courses but I plan to start small with just the range concept. Has anyone done this? Are there any pitfalls I should know about? Is there anything that has prevented you from doing something similar?

I guess you finally found a suitable house to buy? Congrats if you did.

I guess you finally found a suitable house to buy? Congrats if you did.
Thank you John! We are supposed to close early next month! It has been a crazy time with 3 young kids in an apartment but we finally found the right house! I'm looking forward to getting a simple home simulator setup in the garage and I'll certainly update the thread when I do. I'm going to start small and keep building it up!

I played Skytrak for 2 years. Was the best investment I made for my game. After 2 years of use I sold the unit as we downsized houses, but the resale was for a good price since it was still mint. I spent maybe $400 total for the 2 years for net and skytrak. That's not bad for access to practice 24/7

Thank you John! We are supposed to close early next month! It has been a crazy time with 3 young kids in an apartment but we finally found the right house! I'm looking forward to getting a simple home simulator setup in the garage and I'll certainly update the thread when I do. I'm going to start small and keep building it up!

That's awespme! I'm sure you and the family will appreciate all the space after apartment life. I've been considering the same set up, hoping next year. Take care.

Setting up a home simulator for golf

I’m glad that I stumbled across this thread! I just ordered the following:

Skytrak: Globalgolf.com $1695
Country Club Elite Golf Mat: Costco.com 4x5 $373
Carl’s Preferred Impact Screen: www.carlofet.com 8.5’ x 8.5’ with 40 bungee ties $343
Fittings to build a low profile golf cage: www.carlofet.com $88

I’m shopping for and plan to order a short throw hd projector today and looking to spend under ~$700. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. It looks like Optoma and BenQ are popular options. All in it should be less than $3k!

How much was the simulator packages that you guys are using, annually vs one time payment? Have you compared the different Skytrak simulator software & if so which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Watching this thread and dreaming of building one myself.

I’m glad that I stumbled across this thread! I just ordered the following:

Skytrak: Globalgolf.com $1695
Country Club Elite Golf Mat: Costco.com 4x5 $373
Carl’s Preferred Impact Screen: www.carlofet.com 8.5’ x 8.5’ with 40 bungee ties $343
Fittings to build a low profile golf cage: www.carlofet.com $88

I’m shopping for and plan to order a short throw hd projector today and looking to spend under ~$700. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. It looks like Optoma and BenQ are popular options. All in it should be less than $3k!

How much was the simulator packages that you guys are using, annually vs one time payment? Have you compared the different Skytrak simulator software & if so which do you prefer?

Thanks!

I currently have a Benq in my media room and I love it. I originally had an Optoma and had a lot of problems with it.

I currently have a Benq in my media room and I love it. I originally had an Optoma and had a lot of problems with it.

Which BenQ do you have and how far away is it mounted for your screen size?
I'm debating whether I need short throw or not. Mine would ideally be mounted around 11' away and looking to produce a 150" picture.
Thanks!

I have the SkyTrak with the Game Improvement package. Love it!! I also built and bought the rest from other companies. Bought a projector from ProjectorPeople 18 months ago. I’m sure there are great deals on there now. I spoke with one of their techs told them my price range and what I was using it for. Great service and they steer you in the right direction. Have fun with it!!

I ended up ordering an Optoma GT1080 Darbee for $739. I have limited depth in the room and needed a short throw as to not have shadow issues during the swing. I also decided to extend my screen size to 10' wide and 8.5' tall.
Now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas in anticipation of everything to arrive. I will post a few pictures once everything is set up!

My home club is thinking about options for this moving forward, starting small but then the possibility of going larger, I've done some research on simulators, nets, etc. But any advice on items or suppliers would be great.

Back