Spectating a tournament. Tips for a great experience?

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I am headed to a pro tournament shortly. (As a spectator).

Any tips for maximising the experience?

Should I ...
follow a group?
Setup Camp at a hole?
Watch the par 3s?
Hang out at the range?
Something else ?

Bit of everything?

I haven't been since i was a kid I remember camping on a tough par 3 and being amazed as the pros peppered the flag all day long.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I've been to a few tourneys from PGA, LPGA and Seniors and I walk the whole course and saw as much as I can. I might follow a group for a hole or 2 then go on the way to see more of a course I'll never play and see as many groups as I can.
The last event I went to was the Senior Players Championship at the Philly Cricket Club. I was surprised how close we were to the golfers, really close. Tom Watson stopped a few times from green to next tee to take pics with spectators.

I've been to a bunch, including some majors. It it is a Senior tournament, you'll have better access throughout, and you can pretty much do whatever you like. It it's a PGA tournament, it depends upon which day you're attending, and to a certain extent, the popularity of the tournament. For a major, for instance, here is what I found to be most rewarding for me on, say, the Sunday final round. I got there early and walked the entire course with several of the early groups and got to see the entire course. Once I got to hole 18, I just made the turn and walked/followed some of the groups that were still in contention, but, not the leaders. While on the earlier circuit, I looked for a late hole that offered a good vantage point, and during that second circuit, I tried to pace my way to beat the majority of the crowd to that hole and then staked out my spot to watch the contenders finish. It didn't work out perfectly every time, but most. What did not work, ever, was trying to follow Tiger Woods in any tournament, or any leader group, for that matter. But, I've enjoyed every tournament I've attended. There is plenty to see no matter what strategy you utilize.

Yeah definitely mix it up. I've had the most fun moving around, posting up at various places on the course and following the leader(s). This way you get to see a little bit of everything!

Moving around,arriving before the first tee off and view the players hit the range. Most people show up around 2 hours later so gives you a little more time to view your favorite players. As per spots while they play I try and get around the landing area for the par 4 and 5’s. For the par 3 close to the green if you can . And once the big names or your players are around 15 hit up the 18th hole either by the green or midway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So definitely move around ... Guessing a good pair of shoes is essential :)

Fyi my tournament is https://www.worldsuper6perth.com which is a joint Asian/Australian/European event

Some decent players .. but no tiger :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Chris, I prefer to camp out. One of my favorite spots is at Pebble Beach, the peninsula where the 6th, 7th, and 8th holes are located. There is a spot about 150 yards off the 6th and 8th greens that is fantastic. You can see the tee shot and approach shots on the 6th. Tee shot, approach shots on the 8th. If there is a group you really want to see, it's a short walk to the bleachers for the par 3 7th. In between, there is one of the most fantastic scenic views on planet Earth.

Get there first thing and go to the range. The sound is amazing, no fat or thin shots. I took my regular playing partner to the Dell Technologies Championship at TPC Boston this past year. He was mezmorized by how well they all hit it. Then Rory came out and took a space right in front of us and put on quite a show.

Good stuff fellas. I've done a little of all of this too. I parked at a par three at the Women's US Open at Prairie Dunes, but then moved to a landing area on a par 4. I was able to watch Anika Sorenstam within 10 yards.

I'm most excited as I won two Sunday tickets to this year's Master's! I want to get there when the gates open so I can walk the whole course, then follow some of my favorite players. Any other suggestions for The Masters would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Layout wise I’m not so sure on Augusta, but find a section where you’ve got a green and tee box so you can watch approach shots and tee shots. Or a place where a few holes sort of meet.

I went to The Duetche Bank (spelling?) and sat between 16 and 17. All I had to do was turn to look at the tee box then turn back to the green

Sent from HTX

I've been to a bunch, including some majors. It it is a Senior tournament, you'll have better access throughout, and you can pretty much do whatever you like. It it's a PGA tournament, it depends upon which day you're attending, and to a certain extent, the popularity of the tournament. For a major, for instance, here is what I found to be most rewarding for me on, say, the Sunday final round. I got there early and walked the entire course with several of the early groups and got to see the entire course. Once I got to hole 18, I just made the turn and walked/followed some of the groups that were still in contention, but, not the leaders. While on the earlier circuit, I looked for a late hole that offered a good vantage point, and during that second circuit, I tried to pace my way to beat the majority of the crowd to that hole and then staked out my spot to watch the contenders finish. It didn't work out perfectly every time, but most. What did not work, ever, was trying to follow Tiger Woods in any tournament, or any leader group, for that matter. But, I've enjoyed every tournament I've attended. There is plenty to see no matter what strategy you utilize.

Went to the PGA at Valhalla 2000. I went Thursday with my dad and we had walked the whole course and done all that stuff so on Sunday when I went with a friend we set on the 12th or 13th hole (a 190 yard par 3 with a shallow but wide green and trouble short) and took turns picking a guy in the next group and whoever's guy got their ball closest to the hole won a $1. We watched about 20 groups till Tiger and Bob May got there then we followed them in. That crowd was a madhouse, but I still smile every time they show that video of Tiger chasing that 25 footer down pointing it into the hole, I was standing maybe 30 yards away watching it live.

Always get a hole a head of the person you are watching. I used make sure I was in the landing zone for a drive. Move to the next green for their approach and then to the tee on the next hole.

Also stand next to the mashed potato guy or the bababoohee guy so you can punch them in the nuts!!! Mic drip

I always used to follow one of the first groups out so I could walk the entire course and then set up camp on 18 and watch everyone come through.

I'm in the absolute minority here, but I went to the US Open at Oak Hill in 1989, and I would never attend another major except for the Masters, and that isn't ever happening.

Don't get me wrong, some things were great. Attending the practice rounds was fabulous. Even the first 2 rounds on Thursday and Friday were good. But the weekend rounds were an absolute zoo. Way too many people for the course. Unless you're 6' 5" tall you're not seeing a lot of golf standing 5 and 6 deep everywhere on the course. And going to the Ryder Cup has to be worse... more people and only 4 groups on the course at a time.

If a major ever came back to Rochester, I would think about getting the week long pass and selling the weekend days to someone else. You could probably sell those dates for as much as you paid for the entire week pass.

I do like going to smaller tournaments. My home course has hosted a Symetra event the last few years and that was fun. The women can really play and there wasn't the overwhelming crush of people. Not to mention that I volunteered at the tournament so I got in for free :)

Just been to one, a champions tour event. My wife wanted to follow Freddie Couples. We realized everyone wanted to follow Freddie. We jumped ahead by two holes for the rest of the round, staked a spot, Green, mid fairway, tee...saw the other players pass and when Freddie hit his shot, moved on. Got to see a number of legends, and still made 18 on the last day to see Freddie hole out to win. We enjoyed seeing different shots. Staying in one spot, you'll see everyone but just one type pf shot. Plus we found different food venues we would never have seen

Inside the ropes, those guys can move way faster than the thousands following them. I was impressed with their walking fitness, even the Walrus.

Back