MRC OT Tour Iron shafts

Ryan Loves Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
Did not see any posts about the OT Tour iron shafts from MRC.
These look awesome and it is now installed in my 6i(MP18 Fli-Hi) for testing.
Looking to lower my ball flight a little from original OT iron shafts and Recoil 110 Protos.

At address - no distraction, clean look
Oti address.jpg

Bottom graphics - shows the TowPrepreg and braided construction
OTi back.jpg

Top no graphics, washed silver color
Oti top.jpg

Colors split down the middle - great idea
Oti split.jpg

Hope to update the thread with thoughts over the next couple weeks.

Never seen theses particular shafts. My recoils are similar with graphics down at address the shafts are clean from grip to head, this is a look I like as well.

Any update on your testing. Looking at switching to these shafts

Did not see any posts about the OT Tour iron shafts from MRC.
These look awesome and it is now installed in my 6i(MP18 Fli-Hi) for testing.
Looking to lower my ball flight a little from original OT iron shafts and Recoil 110 Protos.

At address - no distraction, clean look
View attachment 30842

Bottom graphics - shows the TowPrepreg and braided construction
View attachment 30841

Top no graphics, washed silver color
View attachment 30840

Colors split down the middle - great idea
View attachment 30839

Hope to update the thread with thoughts over the next couple weeks.

Any update on your testing. Looking at switching to these shafts

Honestly, can't say "testing" as I am not getting any launch monitor data or anything but I am fully committed to these shafts for the forseable future.
Based on my on course and range experience, here are the key differences from Recoil Proto 110 F4.

Feel - OT Tours are much more smoother without feeling loose. Recoils were not loose either, but when I hit the shafts side by side, they definitely feel harsher - like when I hit PX iron shafts against Nippons. They are very well balanced shafts and I play my irons at D3.

Flight - OT Tours launch slightly lower than Recoils for me. Recoils and regular OTs were very similar in launch. I can flight higher and lower as needed. Before I had issues lowering my flight - I am a natural high ball hitter.

Consistency - This is where the OTs shine in my opinion, there is no comparison. These shafts for me are the most consistent that I have played in my irons - both left and right as well as long and short. I can actually hunt flags from 170-175 yds out with my 6i. Before, I was aiming for the general area of the green.

Spin - I get consistent, ideal spin, 6i about 6000, 7i about 7000 and so forth. I would say spin for me was similar to Recoil protos

Since I don't know your game, I cannot say it will work for you. But for me when I tested all the graphite iron shaft at Golf Champion, OTs were clearly my favorites.
But OT Tours were not available so I got one shaft to test first and I am glad I did.
Now all my irons are OT Tours and I don't expect to change anything about my irons - I am actually not interested in trying out anything else, or any other shaft head combo.

I put an OT Tour hybrid shafts in my M2 hybrids. I agree with everything you are saying about their playability. The only thing I would change about the shafts is I would rather have the graphite showing through the entire shaft rather than the half painted clean look at address/graphite underneath look.

I put an OT Tour hybrid shafts in my M2 hybrids. I agree with everything you are saying about their playability. The only thing I would change about the shafts is I would rather have the graphite showing through the entire shaft rather than the half painted clean look at address/graphite underneath look.

I am seriously considering putting the OT Tour hybrid shaft in my EX10 as well.

I am seriously considering putting the OT Tour hybrid shaft in my EX10 as well.

I have zero regrets! My old hybrid shafts were the Diamana S+ Plus (Blue board) tipped a .25” more than standard recommended tipping. They were great. The OT hybrid in 80 and 90 S flex tipped per MCA’s recommendation play near identically yardage and spin-wise. Trajectory is a fraction higher likely due to less tipping but the ball seems unaffected by it in windy conditions. The major difference is the smoothness of the OT. MCA is onto something with this TOW fibre braid.

I was just fit into the OT Tours with TaylorMade P790s yesterday. I've played steel shafts in my irons since I started playing, so this will be my first move into graphite. I liked how the shaft can look like a steel shaft from address. In fact, they look a lot like the matte KBS Tours (which I think look amazing). For me, I was fitted almost entirely on numbers. I say "almost entirely" because had I gone entirely on numbers I would have bought Epons, but that isn't the point of this thread. In terms of shafts, I was getting much much better efficiency out of the OT Tours vs. any steel shaft I hit. In addition nothing in steel felt quite as smooth as the OTs. I also liked how the shaft imparted a sort of added softness into each strike. I presume this is the dampening of vibrations people talk about with graphite shafts.

I was just fit into the OT Tours with TaylorMade P790s yesterday. I've played steel shafts in my irons since I started playing, so this will be my first move into graphite. I liked how the shaft can look like a steel shaft from address. In fact, they look a lot like the matte KBS Tours (which I think look amazing). For me, I was fitted almost entirely on numbers. I say "almost entirely" because had I gone entirely on numbers I would have bought Epons, but that isn't the point of this thread. In terms of shafts, I was getting much much better efficiency out of the OT Tours vs. any steel shaft I hit. In addition nothing in steel felt quite as smooth as the OTs. I also liked how the shaft imparted a sort of added softness into each strike. I presume this is the dampening of vibrations people talk about with graphite shafts.

I am pretty sure you will love them even more. Even with supposedly less forgiving irons that I play now, my smash factor is MUCH better on average.
On a side note, I also had the best numbers with Epon but not enough to justify the cost difference, and I like the look of my gamers a bit more....

I am pretty sure you will love them even more. Even with supposedly less forgiving irons that I play now, my smash factor is MUCH better on average.
On a side note, I also had the best numbers with Epon but not enough to justify the cost difference, and I like the look of my gamers a bit more....

Yeah I think I will. I've always felt like I hit anything with graphite in it better than steel. As for the Epons. the difference was very small. My miss tends to be toe-y and the Epons handled that lovely. The TMs were almost as good though and looked MUCH better at address.

My 50* MD4 came in this weekend with this shaft in it. Got to hit a few full shots with it during today’s round. Sooooooo smooth. I can’t quite place it, but there really is something about this shaft unlike anything I’ve ever felt.

Really looking forward to picking up my irons with the OTs shortly. Will try to give a longer review some time after.

Boy am I glad I found you! BTW, I'm a huge Pens fan... I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 770s, 790s, or a combo set. But I'm leaning toward the 790s. I'm 60 and have about the same index as you. I have Recoil Protos now and have had SF i95s in the past. I definitely prefer the Recoils, but I keep hearing about these OT i's. Anyway, you've got the tapered version --correct? What weight/flex? And final thoughts on the combination (790s and OT i's)? I would appreciate any of your thoughts... anything you have learned (e.g. any problems with hot spots on the irons...?). I had a problem getting flyers with the Cally Apex. Thoughts on a combo set? Again, any information would be greatly appreciated. Were the Epons the 503s?

Last edited:
Boy am I glad I found you! BTW, I'm a huge Pens fan... I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 770s, 790s, or a combo set. But I'm leaning toward the 790s. I'm 60 and have about the same index as you. I have Recoil Protos now and have had SF i95s in the past. I definitely prefer the Recoils, but I keep hearing about these OT i's. Anyway, you've got the tapered version --correct? What weight/flex? And final thoughts on the combination (790s and OT i's)? I would appreciate any of your thoughts... anything you have learned (e.g. any problems with hot spots on the irons...?). I had a problem getting flyers with the Cally Apex. Thoughts on a combo set? Again, any information would be greatly appreciated. Were the Epons the 503s?

I only have 5 rounds with the irons. That hardly feels like enough to answer all your questions, but I’ll address what I can.

I got the P790 with 100g taper tips. So far I really like them. As I said previously, this is my first set of graphite iron shafts. They definitely seem better suited for a swinger vs hitter. I feel more kick in these than any steel shafts I have hit previously. Also, the long irons have more of a graphite feel than shorter irons. Overall, the feel is very tough to explain other than to say they are smooth.

So far, no hot shots. Distance feels predictable. Feel seems much softer than they were with Oban steel when I was demoing.

The Epons were 705s and they didn’t hold a candle to the P790s at address. Performance was similar, though mishits were marginally better off the Epon toe.

Your photos are talking me out of 790s.... how is the set up working for you (thinking 4-6 hilfli and 7-P SC)...thanks

Thanks! I vacillating between the 790s and the MP 18s (a combo set). I"m clearly in the last furlong of my decision process... thanks again

Your photos are talking me out of 790s.... how is the set up working for you (thinking 4-6 hilfli and 7-P SC)...thanks

TGFX, if you are referring to the photos in this thread, those are my MP18 Fli Hi pictures.
OTi Tours are FANTASTIC shafts. Smooth, but it will take pretty much anything you throw at it.
With the MP18s, extremely consistent and surprisingly forgiving.

Continue to really enjoy these shafts. They just feel so smooth on all types of shots. I wish I could have tried these in my old irons before switching to P790s because I have a hard time telling what is shaft vs. club. Overall though, the combination is top notch for me.

Anyone have a good source for the OT shafts (preferably at less than MSRP)?

Also it seems they only come in taper tip--I know PX LZ Tours can be sanded down to use in .355 heads--can these be done that way as well!

I can’t get over how great these shafts are. I’ve said it before but it is extremely hard to explain the feel of these shafts. “Balanced bend profile,” maybe?

I especially like how they feel through the set. As you move into the lower lofted irons they start to feel marginally more like graphite shafts. As someone that has never hit 4/5 irons all that well, it gives me a little more confidence to hit those shots. Also gives a more progressive feel as I move into my hybrid and woods.

And flighting, oh my! This weekend I hit a rope cut 5i into #4 after a terrible tee shot. The subsequent hole I pulled the same club and hit a high one into the green. While I tend to like hitting a high ball given short trouble on my home course, these give me confidence to hit a bunch of different shots.

Obviously these shafts are no small investment, but if these fit someone I wouldn’t hesitate recommending them.

How did these swingweight out or did you need to add tip weights?

My personal build had no issues with swing weight. Pretty much a straight replacement install for a similar weight steel shaft.

My personal build had no issues with swing weight. Pretty much a straight replacement install for a similar weight steel shaft.

Excellent and thanks - I am putting them into a set of Ping i500 irons. Would also be great if you can provide commentary on launch and spin in comparison to either other graphite shafts (Recoils etc.) and/or similarly weighted steel shafts (e.g. Nippon, DG XP, KBS 90).

Thanks
Andre

Excellent and thanks - I am putting them into a set of Ping i500 irons. Would also be great if you can provide commentary on launch and spin in comparison to either other graphite shafts (Recoils etc.) and/or similarly weighted steel shafts (e.g. Nippon, DG XP, KBS 90).

Thanks
Andre

Here are my launch numbers from my fitting with my 6i
19.0 degree launch, 6216 spin, landing angle 48.8 degrees

I am a high ball hitter and have no problems launching the ball with any shaft as long as I am in the general ballpark with the weight class and flex.

My previous gamer had Recoil 110 Proto F4 although on a different head. I would say launch characteristics were similar on my best shots, but I am more consistent with my current irons.
However, for me Recoils almost feel harsh compared to the OTis and I don't lose the club head whether I step on it or put an easy swing on it.
I compared the OTis to the C-Taper lite that was installed in a 6i - launch angle and max height seem similar, but I spin more with OTi and ball speed was higher with OTis.
If I had to go stock for MP18s, C-Taper lite would be my choice.

Finally dropped my irons off yesterday to have the OTi shafts installed (I don't have the OTi Tour models). Eager to give them a try later this week--also got a shot into my elbow and its feeling lots better already, so I'm hopeful the combination of graphite shafts and the shot lets me finish off the summer with no elbow pain!!

Just picked up my irons with the OTi shafts installed; hoping to get out in an hour or so and give them a try!

Back