Hybrid with not closed face-where can I find it?

MacTS

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a slight problem with my hybrids. I draw (or hook) them way to much for my liking. When I look at my hybrids all of them sits very close at the club face which I think cause this problem when I use my normal swing.
Do anyone have any tips on a hybrid (does not need to be latest model) that sits quite square?

I found with a 2017 M2 3 hybrid that I bought late in the 2017 season I tended to over-draw i.e. Hook more than my regular draw. I found to straighten it out I would open the face at address about 3 degrees and just swing easy. I think I was trying to hit it as far as my 3 wood and my swing was getting out of sync which was over exaggerating my draw. Although my change only lasted a few rounds before my season ended, I saw some good results. In sum, with a hybrid for me the best results are with a smooth controlled swing. Give this a shot, I hope it helps.

I found with a 2017 M2 3 hybrid that I bought late in the 2017 season I tended to over-draw i.e. Hook more than my regular draw. I found to straighten it out I would open the face at address about 3 degrees and just swing easy. I think I was trying to hit it as far as my 3 wood and my swing was getting out of sync which was over exaggerating my draw. Although my change only lasted a few rounds before my season ended, I saw some good results. In sum, with a hybrid for me the best results are with a smooth controlled swing. Give this a shot, I hope it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion! I try to do pretty much what you suggest (and sometimes with success) but I feel that I need to "manipulate/change" my ordinary setup a bit to much to be comfortable. So I think that I will search for a club more open/square and test it and see if it fixes my issue without changing to much in my setup/swing

The Ping's G25 & Anser, plus the Callaway Apex hybrids sit square or slightly open. Apex my favorite but all are good.

I never have viewed the Callaway Apex hybrids as closed face. Nor the Srixon H45 that I gamed before the Apex.

generally, anything marketed as a "better player's hybrid" (typically peanuts) will sit square to open

adjustable non-cog bent-hosel models can achieve the same effect by adjusting the setting to loft down, which results in an open face and slightly upright lie angle

I have a slight problem with my hybrids. I draw (or hook) them way to much for my liking. When I look at my hybrids all of them sits very close at the club face which I think cause this problem when I use my normal swing.
Do anyone have any tips on a hybrid (does not need to be latest model) that sits quite square?

What shafts do you have in your hybrids? After a number of fittings and a lot of research I’m convinced that shafts matter a lot in making hybrids work the way you need them to. They should have a good progression from your irons. Can be a reasonably inexpensive experiment or something to keep in mind when you get replacements.

apex
hogan vktr
818 h2

those are a few that come to mind

Are hybrids actually closed or is it another underlying issue causing the draw/hook?

Also, Apex hybrid is amazing.

If you want a cheap option that keeps up with any of today's clubs check out the Wilson Staff D200 hybrid. Sits neutral at address and doesn't really have any left or right bias as far as I can tell.

Called a 7w...stay with the same sweeping swing as your 3w, 5w

What shafts do you have in your hybrids? After a number of fittings and a lot of research I’m convinced that shafts matter a lot in making hybrids work the way you need them to. They should have a good progression from your irons. Can be a reasonably inexpensive experiment or something to keep in mind when you get replacements.

hmm, I have several hybrids with different shafts and they all behave more or less the same. But sure, it could be a factor

Are hybrids actually closed or is it another underlying issue causing the draw/hook?

Also, Apex hybrid is amazing.

I am not totally sure, but for me my hybrids seem to sit close. However I am not ruling out that there can be some other reason for my hooks as well

hmm, I have several hybrids with different shafts and they all behave more or less the same. But sure, it could be a factor

Most off the rack hybrids have shafts that are too light and exacerbate the right to left ball flight. Depending on your irons shafts, hybrid shafts that are between 10-25g lighter in the appropriate flex. I picked up this nugget from the blog of a fitter who also does shaft profiles.

Callaway Apex or Ping G400.

My Taylormade M1 hybrids can be opened up so a closed club face is not a problem. You can get fairly inexpensively at the moment. Worth a look!!

Callaway Apex or XR Pro. Love my XR Pro!

Most off the rack hybrids have shafts that are too light and exacerbate the right to left ball flight. Depending on your irons shafts, hybrid shafts that are between 10-25g lighter in the appropriate flex. I picked up this nugget from the blog of a fitter who also does shaft profiles.

interesting thought, but wouldn't that have to apply to woods and drivers as well? what baseline should we use for iron shafts? even if we say 100g which is probably light, aren't most fairway wood shafts and driver shafts in the 55-65g weight off the rack? so 35g-45g lighter than iron shafts, yet the typical miss with those clubs is a slice, not a hook.

interesting thought, but wouldn't that have to apply to woods and drivers as well? what baseline should we use for iron shafts? even if we say 100g which is probably light, aren't most fairway wood shafts and driver shafts in the 55-65g weight off the rack? so 35g-45g lighter than iron shafts, yet the typical miss with those clubs is a slice, not a hook.

The way I read it, the hybrids should be a progression of irons as they’re iron replacements. Allows for consistent gapping.

The FWs would be a progression from whatever driver shaft was the best fit. Based on driver shaft weight, FWs would be 0-10g heavier progressively.

Like every generic rule/rule of thumb, I’d take it as a guideline only as ymmv.

Tour Edge Exotics CB4. Get one cheap off of eBay or rock bottom golf.

generally, anything marketed as a "better player's hybrid" (typically peanuts) will sit square to open

adjustable non-cog bent-hosel models can achieve the same effect by adjusting the setting to loft down, which results in an open face and slightly upright lie angle

Get one of those older Adams Peanuts!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Now I will start looking for some clubs to try out.

Callaway Apex! carry 3 of them. The right shaft has helped me alot to eliminate the hooks. Among swing changes made of course.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Funny enough I went to play some sim golf this morning and tried my friends Cobra Fly Z (may have been +, not sure) and that was set much more square than mine and I managed to hit it well. It was to low lofted for me at 17 degrees but felt good. So now that club is on the short list as well

Back