Are counterfeit clubs/irons on the decline?

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I remember a few years back watching a show on GC talking about the growing counterfeit business in golf clubs and how the larger OEM's were collaborating to fight back and go after these counterfeiters in China.

I have not seen or heard much talk in recent years about someone acknowledging they unknowingly purchased a counterfeit club or set of irons. I wonder if the OEM's pursuit (at least short term) has been successful or if they are still out there but "copying" is so good, the uneducated golfer can't tell.

What are your thought? Has their been a decline? Appreciate your insights.

Me personally i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between counterfeit and genuine, for me is a real worry in the used market, I had a friend that bought mizunos jpx900 from China at first he said they were great not now though they started to chip and grips started to fall apart there just not built well, unless you buy from a reputable company your taking a risk

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I'd limit my used purchases to companies like CPO and such on an expensive club like drivers or a full set of irons to take out the fear of getting hosed. No idea if the counterfeit trend is getting worse or improving.

I will never buy a Scotty on ebay again. I've had a counterfeit one 7 years ago and after finding out it was, I sent it over to Titleist.

If anything they're on the rise. I see them everywhere. I get counterfeit irons, putters, and wedges in my shop pretty often. There are a lot of Chinese sites still openly selling them - the work around now is that they sell them as their own brand when listing on sales sites. e.g. a fake Taylormade M1 might be sold as a Happy Golf M1, but the pictures clearly show Taylormade logos. This allows the lazy bureaucratic process of pulling listings easy to slip past.

It's terrifying how much counterfeit goods there is out there. I didn't really understand how much till I started collecting Scotty gear.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm afraid to buy used clubs because of counterfeits, especially SC stuff.

Back