TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I brought mine last week with Asian spec shaft. One range session and one round in. It's definitely longer and I'm not slicing it, but it felt really "whippy".

A friend put me in touch with a fitter so Monday evening I took the head along and spent a hour or so trying different shafts. I've ended up with a fujikura six in r flex but tipped(?), to play firmer due to being in between flexes. Launch angle was between 13.5 and 14 degrees, spin right around 2600. According to the numbers punched out on trackman I'm now producing baby draws which I've never done before. Really looking forward to my next round with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought mine last week with Asian spec shaft. One range session and one round in. It's definitely longer and I'm not slicing it, but it felt really "whippy".

A friend put me in touch with a fitter so Monday evening I took the head along and spent a hour or so trying different shafts. I've ended up with a fujikura six in r flex but tipped(?), to play firmer due to being in between flexes. Launch angle was between 13.5 and 14 degrees, spin right around 2600. According to the numbers punched out on trackman I'm now producing baby draws which I've never done before. Really looking forward to my next round with it.

Did you swing the regular flex kuro kage silver tini? Just a great shaft in all flexes....

Did you swing the regular flex kuro kage silver tini? Just a great shaft in all flexes....

No. At the moment in Malaysia all the M1's are Asian spec with a Mitsubishi Rayon made for shaft.

Ordered mine today with the fuji 60. Can't wait to get it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

Spent a few mins with the M1 today. I have to say in my opinion the club looks beautiful in person. I tested one in 9.5 Fujikura stiff shaft with the back weight forward and the front weight in the middle. Here are my numbers.
717bd866628842b6645d49f314767534.jpg

Very low spinning for me in this setting. Pretty loud sound at impact compared to the 815 Alpha I game currently.

I have preordered one. Cant wait to get this in the bag.

Anyone inputs from those of us with slow swing speed?

What's the formula for extra distance with this club? Are your SS's increasing with it? Fine tuning spin and launch angle?

What's the formula for extra distance with this club? Are your SS's increasing with it? Fine tuning spin and launch angle?

When I tested it & got fitted for mine (10.5 430cc) it really came down to getting spin & launch angle dialed in. I hit the 460cc 9.5 and 10.5 pretty good, but was still behind my 430cc R15 10.5. Then I hit the 430cc M1 10.5 with the CG weight all the way forward and the flight bias weight almost full draw and my carry instantly went 7-8 yards longer in carry over my R15. There are so many great shaft options, I'd say anyone owes it to themselves to try as many options as they can. Unless, of course, you already have experience with an offered shaft and know it works for you. The 3 "stock" shaft offerings are really nice. I hit all 3 of them plus 5 or 6 other shafts and a few that weren't on the "non-upcharge" list, but none could give me the numbers my Graphite Design DI-6 did in the M1.

So, my short-winded answer would be try to hit as many shaft/head combos you can on a launch monitor and get it all dialed in.

Pretty damned impressive Cace!

I got the shipping notification for my M1 today. Unfortunately it won't be in hand until Monday.

Read my review above.....I'm high 80's low 90's speed

I am at about 85 mph with smooth transition. Have been playing light drivers with senior shafts (CG Black, VR, G30 SF TEC). I hit them pretty straight (slight draw) but - surprise - looking to get more distance. I was getting 210-220 and now closer to 200 yards. I recently lost over 30 pounds and am struggling to regain any distance.

I'm not currently in the market for a driver, but this club definitely has me intrigued the most. Love reading all the feedback from people who have gotten their drivers already.

I'd say fine tuning spin and launch angle. Distance was the same as the R15 for me, but being able to get low spin with more forgiveness has me wanting to spend more time with this.

what are people experiencing with spin when using the forward CG vs the back CG?

what are people experiencing with spin when using the forward CG vs the back CG?

I saw about 400 RPMs.
Very similar to JB, I saw 300 rpm difference I believe. It's in a post earlier in the thread. Also 1* higher launch with weight back.

I saw about 400 RPMs.

any correlation with launch as well? I'm trying to get a better understanding of the lateral and vertical movements and how they affect launch conditions.

any correlation with launch as well? I'm trying to get a better understanding of the lateral and vertical movements and how they affect launch conditions.

Lower spin is going to bring lower launch in this instance and any movement by weight forward is going to be a loss in forgiveness in a general sense.

3-400 RPMs? I could see myself leaving it in the middle or sending it to the back for the added forgiveness. That's just not a big enough jump for me to accommodate for lost forgiveness.

3-400 RPMs? I could see myself leaving it in the middle or sending it to the back for the added forgiveness. That's just not a big enough jump for me to accommodate for lost forgiveness.

I'm with you Dan, I want the forgiveness over the slight improvement in spin numbers. Definitely glad I went 10.5 head over 9.5 to accommodate the lower launch.

I'm with you Dan, I want the forgiveness over the slight improvement in spin numbers. Definitely glad I went 10.5 head over 9.5 to accommodate the lower launch.

I'd usually lean towards a higher loft as it seems like many drivers open the face a bit when lofting down from there.

Either way, launch is great if spin is reasonable. Launch away Alez!

Back