SKLZ Gold Flex Golf Swing Trainer 48" regrip thoughts

Kenomikes

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.6 GHIN
Bought this SKLZ 48" Gold Trainer recently and I really like it. I'm swinging it indoors now looking to get some strength and flexibility and maybe a little more club head speed. Seems to be a nice little workout if you can get 100 swings in, maybe 25 swings a set.

Anyways, idiot as I am, I thought it would be a good idea to change the grip to a midsize Lamkin to match my current grips. The stock SKLZ grip is extremely thin and I don't like the feel. So I cut it off and to my horror saw this real thin inner white shaft. That inner white shaft is only 5/16" while the black shaft is 1/2". The stock grip is a "special grip inside" so it hugs the thin white shaft. I didn't take a pic of that but can tonight.

This thing obviously needs a ton of build up so I first thought to just email SKLZ and tell them what I did and could I buy another stock grip. They answered that they don't sell replacement grips. Oh well, I did it so gotta move on.

I'm thinking to just wrap that white shaft with duct tape up to the black and then regrip from there.

Anybody have any thoughts?

sklz.jpgsklzgrip.jpgsklzwhite.jpgsklzcloseup.jpg

Yup, sounds like a build up job with tape.

Build me up buttercup! haha

I have the same trainer so glad I saw this before deciding to be adventurous.

Have any old shafts you can sacrifice? The thin white section should slip inside a section of shaft fairly easily. That would cut down on the amount of tape you have to build up.

Man I'm glad you posted this, I was just thinking mine needed a new grip for this season. I've about torn it of a couple of times, but at least now I know what id be getting into! It looks to me like you should just build it up and put your preferred interface on it.

Man I'm glad you posted this, I was just thinking mine needed a new grip for this season. I've about torn it of a couple of times, but at least now I know what id be getting into! It looks to me like you should just build it up and put your preferred interface on it.

I guess I'm just afraid of the new grip sliding off all that tape indoors thru the window into the backyard and taking out some windows on my car in the driveway.

Bump. Just curious if anyone has tried this. I'd like a bigger grip on mine, but wasn't sure if building up with a bunch of tape is a "safe" idea, especially since I already prefer adding 5 layers of tape to the bottom of a regular grip to as a cheap way to reduce taper.

I removed the grip as well before I saw this blog. What a crock! The company made a good product but you can’t use it once the grip wears out. I’m sure you can figure something out to build up the shaft but it has to be solid, tape won’t work. I tried. So I put on the old that I cut off and taped it. Will definitely write a review on Amazon.

Tape will work. Use duct tape to build up to .600” then apply a layer of double sided grip tape and have at it.

Back