Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype Irons

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
irons-ta-x-prototype___1.png

I have a line on a basically mint set of these clubs circa 2009 in X300 shafts for a very very good price.
I was wondering if anyone still plays these, or has any real experience beyond testing with these or their younger Razr sibling.

I fully admit that I haven't golfed regularly in the last few years, and have never been the greatest golfer... these clubs have just always been my dream clubs ever since they first appeared on tour.

Would I be completely be wasting money and punishing myself, or is this something I could realistically work up to with some lessons and regular practice?

I enjoy what I play with just as much as getting a better score. If you are not competing, just play what you like!
I recently found out I actually focus and play better with more player type irons.

What are you waiting for if they are your dream clubs? Buy them!

Live the dream buddy!

Go for it!

Dream clubs + very very good deal = buy them!!!

I have a line on a basically mint set of these clubs circa 2009 in X300 shafts for a very very good price.
I was wondering if anyone still plays these, or has any real experience beyond testing with these or their younger Razr sibling.

I fully admit that I haven't golfed regularly in the last few years, and have never been the greatest golfer... these clubs have just always been my dream clubs ever since they first appeared on tour.

Would I be completely be wasting money and punishing myself, or is this something I could realistically work up to with some lessons and regular practice?

I have the 2014 MBs which are similar to these and the earlier Proto Xs before these.
Great clubs but here is what you should know about playing these clubs.

These are not meant for distance but for accuracy, shot shaping and workability (high/low). Lofts are traditional so PW is 47° and 7i is 31°, so a 7 iron is a 150 yd club (for me) so be ready to club up when compared to GI irons. Specially when your buddies are playing wedges or short irons you will have to swallow your pride and play 6/7 iron! This is by far the biggest obstacle you have to face (mentally) when playing these irons.

Turf interaction is amazing - the way these cut through the turf is just incredible. Nothing comes close.

The X100 shaft is a pretty stiff shaft that needs decent swing speed to properly load the shaft. A stiff shaft can actually be more accurate since it does not flex as much as a regular shaft but you lose distance and feel (a lot) with a slower swing. This might be the biggest concern I would have for this set of clubs.

To compensate for the distance I went with a distance ball which worked out great. These clubs have the ability to stop a medium soft distance ball and I got back some of the distance specially with the long/mid irons. As always ... your mileage may vary!

Hope this helps!

I have the 2014 MBs which are similar to these and the earlier Proto Xs before these.
Great clubs but here is what you should know about playing these clubs.

These are not meant for distance but for accuracy, shot shaping and workability (high/low). Lofts are traditional so PW is 47° and 7i is 31°, so a 7 iron is a 150 yd club (for me) so be ready to club up when compared to GI irons. Specially when your buddies are playing wedges or short irons you will have to swallow your pride and play 6/7 iron! This is by far the biggest obstacle you have to face (mentally) when playing these irons.

Turf interaction is amazing - the way these cut through the turf is just incredible. Nothing comes close.

The X100 shaft is a pretty stiff shaft that needs decent swing speed to properly load the shaft. A stiff shaft can actually be more accurate since it does not flex as much as a regular shaft but you lose distance and feel (a lot) with a slower swing. This might be the biggest concern I would have for this set of clubs.

To compensate for the distance I went with a distance ball which worked out great. These clubs have the ability to stop a medium soft distance ball and I got back some of the distance specially with the long/mid irons. As always ... your mileage may vary!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your feedback! I went and hit some comparable clubs last night at the local golf shop and as I admitted in my first post about not being a stellar golfer, I soon realised just how many flaws I have and how these clubs would do not pay me any dividends, so I've passed on them. Once I get more sorted I will try again with finding a nice set of clubs.

Get em!!!!

Thanks for your feedback! I went and hit some comparable clubs last night at the local golf shop and as I admitted in my first post about not being a stellar golfer, I soon realised just how many flaws I have and how these clubs would do not pay me any dividends, so I've passed on them. Once I get more sorted I will try again with finding a nice set of clubs.

Depending on the price - these clubs are always a good option to keep as a practice set.
You will definitely learn a lot from swinging these clubs.

But these would be brutal if you don't have the time. Good call!

Regards

Back